| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Deluxe Reverb
Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 1 May 2001 2:06 pm    

I just bought an old silver faced Fender Deluxe Reverb from a widow lady whose late husband was a fiddle player in one of the bands I occasionally play in.
This little amp really sounds good and it seems to have a lot more power and headroom than I remember these amps having. One thing I found though is that neither the reverb nor the tremolo work at all.
Is it possible the amp has been modified? What would cause both the reverb and tremolo to not work?
I would appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Bob
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 May 2001 2:19 pm    

Check the tubes. V3 (12AT7) and 1/2 V4 (7025) is the reverb tubes, V5 (12AX7) is the tremolo. Also make sure the remote footswitch jacks are not grounded, which would cut them off.
The tubes are numbered starting with V1 at the end opposite the power tubes.

V1 - 7025 (normal input)
V2 - 7025 (vibrato input)
V3 - 12AT7
V4 - 7025
V5 - 12AX7A
V6 - 12AT7
V7 & V8 - 6V6GT
V9 - 5U4GB or GZ34 depending on the chassis model
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 8:35 am    

The Deluxe Reverb is powered by two 6v6 tubes giving the amp about 20-25 watts. It's loud on it's own but doesn't hold up with a band very well unless you like the overdriven sound. As for the tremolo, you need an RCA jack that shorts out to ground so that the trem turns on. The reverb not working may be a reverb tank issue. I play 6-string guitar on a regualar basis and I play a Deluxe reverb. It's my favorite amp of all. With the 12" JBL in it it sounds real sweet on my steel but only playing solo. The power just aint there.

Brad Sarno
Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 8:51 am    

Thanks for the replies. I found the reverb problem. One of the tiny wires in the reverb pan was broken loose from the RCA jack. I resoldered it and it works like a charm. I still don't have any vibrato. I'm still checking things to see if I can find that problem.

I use two Nashville 400's when I'm playing out. I mainly bought this Deluxe for a home practice amp, and I'll never use the vibrato anyway. I just wanted everything to work.
I tried it out last night at a small community center where we played a senior citizens dance. It sounded good until I hit a few low notes on the C6th neck. It just wouldn't cut it for that. I had to do a quick amp switch in the middle of the set.
Thanks again for the information.
Bob
Dave Brophy

Miami FL
Post  Posted 3 May 2001 3:23 pm    

Bob,
You don't say if you have the footswitch.If you don't have a footswitch plugged in,the vibrato defaults to "off." (Reverb defaults to "on.")
You can get around that by taking an old cord with an RCA plug,snipping an inch of cord off,wrapping or soldering the 2 wires together,and plugging it into the vibrato footswitch jack.
If that doesn't do it,and a new tube doesn't do it,it needs a tech to look at the circuit.My '76 DR needed a new vibrato "roach." But mine had very very weak vibrato--if yours has none at all,it may just not be switched on.It's the first thing to check,anyway.