| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice/Profex II
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 4:59 am    

I am using my Session 500 "temporarily" on a 4-month set-down job, but my effects unit is in a rack with my other amp and I don't want to remove it.

I have an opportunity to buy a ProfexII for $125, looks almost new with a few rack scratches....but there are no program cards with it! I've never owned a Profex, and I know they are getting "long in the tooth", and I'm not sure about the availability of the cards.

My question to you who have experience with this unit...would the $125 price plus the $80-$100 for programs (if I can find them)be acceptable for use with the 500.....or should I beware of the Profex unit completely and just buy something with new technology?.... Advice please? www.genejones.com
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 5:10 am    

At a $125.00 investment.... Heck yes, stay with the Profex II. I wish I could have gotten mine at that price !!

If you have problems finding a cache card from "Peavey", I understand that there are several "Roland" cards which will work with this unit.

It may take you a few days to completely check out all the "Factory Settings" in the unit but,I think you will find that a number of them will fill your needs. If you need a Manual for this product,It may be D/L from the "Peavey" web-site.

Boy,You are one lucky person,to get a Profex II at $125.00.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 5:42 am    

Although we don't offer the Peavey Cache Card 32 any longer, we feel that it is our responsibility to offer a option for our customers concerning a RAM cartridge.

The Roland M512E RAM card, the Roland M256D will both work with the Profex II. Also, you may locate a dealer who sells VOICE CRYSTAL RAM cartridges as these will work also.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 6:51 am    

Is it a Profex II or an older Profex??? The older unit did not have a RAM card. $125 for a Profex II is an excellent price and well below going price for a used Profex II.
Steve England

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 6:59 am    

If it is a Profex II then definitely go for it. Then order the Prpofex video for ten bucks from Jeff Newman and all will become clear. If you get a card Jeff can also load his settings onto the card for you. Don't be put off by the factory settings. Some of them are truely horrendous. I only got my profex a few weeks ago and am having great fun with it.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 7:27 am    

Hello Gene, I would be happy to loan you my card to download to your Profex II if you purchase it. I have emailed you.
Jerry
Gene Jones

Post  Posted 2 May 2001 12:07 pm    

I want to thank all who responded on the Forum, and by e-mail, to my request for advice on this unit that I was unfamiliar with.

Having complete confidence in your recommedations, I bought the Profex II, and have been checking it out for the past hour or so, and it exceeds my expectations. There are even one or two presets (out of 127)that I can use temporarily until I can program something more to my liking.

The Forum has a knowledgeable and generous membership.....thank you again! www.genejones.com

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 2:58 pm    

I've had my Pro-fex II for about 6 years and had a new battery replaced last fall even though the original was still good and put in the Lemay mod also.
My buddy mister fixit did it for me.
Thanks Jack Stoner.
I've thought about upgrading to the Trantubefex but am more than happy with the Profex II even though it does not have some of the goddies of the TTfex.
You got a great deal for $125 so enjoy it.
Don
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 6:34 pm    

Gene,
You don't have to have a cache card to get the steel guitar presets that everyone has. The cache card simply gives you additional storage for the Profex II. It also makes it possible to transport programs from one unit to another. You can write the programs yourself and store them in the onboard memory. Somewhere on the internet is a listing of all the steel guitar presets for the Profex II, it gives you all the parameters you need to write the programs. I can't remember where I got it from but maybe somebody else will know.
I also bought my Profex II for $125 (a steal) and used it for two years before deciding to get a cache card. The only reson I bought it is so that I can change my programs and if I ever want the old ones back they are on the card. Since I bought the card I stuck it in my machine one time, to dump the presets into my Profex. Otherwise it just sits in my pack-seat. The cards are handy but don't let the lack of one keep you from enjoying your new toy. The card won't enable you to get programs that your machine isn't already capable of.

Dave Alfstad
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2001 6:43 pm    

Also once you have the programs loaded, from a cache card or from entering them manually, you can save them on your computer as a SYSEX file. All you need is a MIDI cable and connector that hooks to the joystick port of your sound card and some free software from the Internet. In fact if you have that connector and cable, I can send you the SYSEX file from a ProFex II that I used to have.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 May 2001 2:13 am    

Gene, the program listing for the Jeff Newman Profex II programs are hosted on my web page.

Go to my web page, http://tampabaydsl.com/~jestoner and click on the button for the programs.

This will give you something to work with until you get a cache card to load all the programs.
Gene Jones

Post  Posted 3 May 2001 3:43 am    

Thanks again guys for all the good advice. It looks like all I need now is a manual with programming instructions...Mike Brown, do you have any suggestions where I can get one....or maybe someone would "scan" the appropriate pages from their manual? (I'm not sure enough of the "cause & effect" of the buttons on the front of the unit to start OTJ with it} Gene
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2001 5:15 am    

Yes, call me toll free at 1-877-732-8391 to order an operating guide. I'll be here today until 5PM CST and back Monday after 8AM. I'll be glad to help with any questions you have about the Profex series.

You may also download either the Profex or Profex II operating guides from the Peavey website at www.peavey.com