Reply to topic
Author Topic:  VEGAS 120v conversion to 220v
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2001 3:52 am    

Please help me !!
have recently acquired a "Vegas" 400.
This is a USA 120VAC model.
Is there a replacement transformer available to convert the amp to work on 220VAC .
The amp serial # is 3A-01419533 83A
the transformer # is 705-18715
and the Speaker is a Black Widow 1505 8ohm. Ser # 322144 (Is this the original speaker)
Thanks in anticipation,
Baz

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~basilhenriques/

http://www.stax-a-trax.com/

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2001 4:26 am    

You can e-mail Mike Brown directly at mikebrown@peavey.com

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2001 8:25 am    

You should be able to buy a 240-- to 120 volt AC to AC transformer in your country. They have different "Watt" sizes of transformers. All you have to know is the Watts the amp draws. I don't know how many watts that amp pulls, Mike Brown will now. You will also need a different plug configuration, because the plugs used in the USA are not the same as the ones used in Europe. I doubt that the 50Hz will hurt anything. USA has 60Hz. I know 50Hz does not bother the devices I ship to Europe. You might ask Mike Brown about the 50Hz with that particular amp. Let us know what Mike says? In the USA we have a store called Radio Shack that sells over-seas travel kits for matching USA stuff with over-seas stuff. I'm certain some store in your country sells travel kits.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 14 April 2001 at 09:27 AM.]

Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2001 10:23 am    

Basil,

I can get such a device for ~ EUR 40,- over here in Germany, the WAtts rating says 250W, don't know if that's enough for the Peavey. It works great with my Standels.
Let me know
Andy
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2001 8:36 pm    

I can obtain an isolator transformer that steps 220v down to 110v, they use them over here for power tools (Drills-sanders etc).
My one worry is concerning the ground switch on the Vegas and the possible cosequences of connecting the amp "Line output" to other equipment that's connected to 220v.
(Here in Ireland earth and neutral are "Tied")

Is there a way of SAFELY disconnecting the ground switch ?
OR if anyone has a circuit diagram of the vegas I would gladly pay for a copy !!
Baz
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2001 9:52 pm    

Basilh, it isn't just Ireland--earth and neutral is tied together all over the world. I recently re-wired a 480 volt transformer. The guy who installed the transformer did not connect neutral and earth ground inside the transformer. Your concerns are extremely important and relevant, since the difference in ground potentials can cause high voltage to show up where you don't expect it. I would advise checking with Mike Brown, since this is a Peavey product. Grounding equipment is for safety. In audio equipment ground loops are a source for hum. I would advise being safe first, and eliminating ground loop hum second.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2001 9:48 pm    

Just a thought.....

In my experiences with different audio equipment,"Fender,Alesis,and others" I have found that in a lot of cases,the transformer supplied inside the amp is of the dual voltage type. This transformer is pre-set at the factory for 110 or 220 voltage operation. In most cases however,a simple jumper, or replacement of connections is all that is necessary to swith between the two. As for the 50 to 60 cycle part, It has been proven that (as we are NOT trying to run AC motors here,whereas the difference would be a major problem) no problems should be noted.

This is ONLY a thought !!!
Please have your Electronics tech to check your equipment for you. He should be able to determine if your stuff is one of the dual transformer units.

It is my opinion that because vendors make equipment for sale both in the U.S.A. and Europe,they stock the dual transformer for cost effectiveness,(not haveing to stock 2 different devices) and production runs are pre-wired for both countrys. I realize the cord connection are different here in the U.S.A. but adapter plugs are avalable for use in the U.K. (I've been there,used them)

All thoughts considered tho, You may want to ask Mike Brown of the "Peavey " Co. if the "Nashville 400" fits into this catagory.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 16 April 2001 at 10:51 PM.]