| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 400 vs. Nashville 1000
Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2001 9:32 pm    

I know this is probably not a new thought or thread, but since I don't see one already started, here it is.

I am very familiar with the 400, and am ready to buy one, but got to thinking after reading the stuff on the Peavey site about the 1000.

Does anyone have direct experience with the difference between the two?

1. Tone
2. Voicing
3. Features

I would sell my Peavey Classic 50-410 to raise the money to get the 1000...

One other thing, where would an Evans fit into the scheme of things? I know, it's a whole 'nother topic. But I thought I'd sneak it in....

------------------
Bill Fulbright
ICQ# 2251620
1998 Sierra U12 7x5; '74 Schecter Strat; Gibson ES-165; Peavey Classic 50-410.

[This message was edited by Bill Fulbright on 29 March 2001 at 09:34 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2001 3:38 am    

Do a search for this subject and you will find several threads comparing and talking about the Nashville amps.

Just because there is nothing current doesn't mean there is nothing about this.

This is about the same for a lot of subjects. Usually they have been discussed before and doing a search will usually turn up a lot of information.

This doesn't mean "don't open a new thread", just that many times the questions or information is in the forum archives.
Mark Kelchen

Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2001 3:47 am    

I am not up to snuff on the 1000. Currently I use a Nashville 400 and a 1977 Session 400.
The original JBL in the Session was just replaced with a new 1501 Black Widow and the LeMay retro kit was installed. I feel the tone quality and the response of the Session has always been far superior to that on the Nashville. The Nashville is a great amp but it just doesn't seem to compare with the Session before or after the speaker replacement and mod kit. I am just starting on steel and both amps perform fine for what I am doing there so I am basing this on 6 string.

1970s Sho-Bud D-10, Gibson ES-335 Dot, G&L ASAT Classic Tele.
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2001 6:37 am    

Hey Bill,

Call me. My "beter half" is working tonight, and you can come by and listen to one.
(954) 252-9111 or (954) 240-3740 (Cell)

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2001 7:49 am    

Hello Bill,
Having the opportunity to work here at Peavey for many years has allowed me to use many different steel amps on gigs. However, I have owned and used a Nashville 400 since 1985, but also try to rotate between the various models that we have manufactured since the mid 70's.

The differences between the 400 and 1000 basically lie in the cabinetry and the power amp section. The 400 is rated at 210 watts RMS of analog power and the 1000 is rated at 300 watts of digital power. Digital power is much cleaner in my opinion and is more accurate. The modified eq circuitry of the preamp in the 1000 is basically the same as the 400(after modification) except that the 1000 has patching points for effects processors. Nashville 400's manufactured prior to approximately 1995 incorporate a 1502-4 ohm BW, until the 1501-4 ohm shallow basket BW was designed in late '95 or early '96. The 1000 is equipped with the 1501-4 shallow basket.

The tone difference is distinctive as the 1000 has a mellower(in my opinion) type of response. Since the cabinet is made totally of wood and is a bit wider in size, it gives it a different voicing. I've been asked why we didn't place a brace across the back like all of our older designs. The reason for this is because it allows the sides to vibrate freely for better tone. The only drawback is that you can't lean it back into a chair. A good amp stand can take care of that problem though.

Mike Brown
Customer Service
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2001 12:40 pm    

Hi all, good responses so far but IMHO the 1000 sounds so much better than the 500!It took playing thru it a while but now I wouln't go back. I played thru a 500 for about 15 years and thought it sounded as good as it got, but then....I added a new Sierra U12, a Hilton pedal, and alot of practice time so was it really the amp? Dave
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2001 2:26 pm    

Bill, it could be one of two things...........you're playing on rickety 'ol stages or the reverb springs are just worn out. Has the reverb pan ever been changed out? If not, it might be time for it as it is mechanical.

Dave, I believe that your answer is all of the above. Thanks for using Peavey products!
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2001 2:27 pm    

Bill, it could be one of two things...........you're playing on rickety 'ol stages or the reverb springs are just worn out. Has the reverb pan ever been changed out? If not, it might be time for it as it is mechanical.

Dave, I believe that your answer is all of the above. Thanks for using Peavey products!
Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2001 9:18 pm    

Once again, thanks to you all for great responses.

There is nothing like listening to other people's experiences.

John, I will get with you in about 2 weeks. I have to go out of town, but I am taking my steel to practice!!

Thanks !!!

Bill

------------------
Bill Fulbright
ICQ# 2251620

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2001 5:28 am    

I use a Walker amp system with JBL's but also have a Session 500 that I haven't used in at least two years because of the weight. Since I recently contracted for a four month set-down job I "towed" the 500 over there to leave on the stage for the duration. I had forgotten the awesome power and response of that Session 500, especially with a Hilton pedal. (now if Peavey could only mfg it in a 40-50lb size, or I could take 30 years off my age) www.genejones.com
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2001 5:36 am    

I played a Session 500 for 15 years (got the first one that was sold in Kansas City). It was one of the original small cabinet models.

It was probably the best steel amp Peavey has built, excluding the new 1000/2000 models that I haven't played through.

However, the weight (and age) took it's toll and in 1996 I went to a Nashville 400 with the factory mod. It's close enough to the 500 in sound, using the three cord hookup that I sold the Session 500. (I also have a rack system that I use - depending on where I'm picking at).

The Nashville 1000, that I heard, seems to be equivalent to the Nashville 400, in the EQ section but the power amp is higher power and a lot quieter.
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2001 1:35 pm    

Mike, thank you for your explanation of the differences. That explains alot.
I'm no authority, but I used to play a Nash 400, and I didn't care for it... I found the mid ranges very harsh. I also had some ongoing trouble with the reverb, but I think Peavey's reputation for rugged gear points to it being an isolated incident.
Last year Al Brisco lent me a new Nash 1000 for a gig, and I wouldn't let him take it back I like it alot! Clean, lighter, and the mid ranges are not brittle.
Your explanation coincides exactly with my findings... maybe I'm not so deaf after all
-John
Larry Dahl

Melbourne, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2001 3:55 am    

I have always found the larger Peavey cabinets to sound better that the Nashville, or the LTD by themselves just because of the bigger cabinets. But, if you run a stereo processor, and two of the Nashvilles,I think the sound is great, and it is not that hard to carry them around, either. Seems to be a matter of value at that point.
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2001 12:10 pm    

Can I add my two-cents-worth. I once owned a 500 and I loved it. I was forced to go to something else when it was stolen out of my truck. The thought of someone trying to run down the street with that big thing is what makes me laugh about it being stolen. I now have a Nashville and I like it. Still miss my 500 though.

------------------
Bill Fulbright

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2001 4:05 am    

Sounds to me like the 500 is pretty darn good, if you can get over the weight factor, other wise the 1000 sounds like it is a consistent winner.

If anyone has a 1000 that you'd like to sell, please feel free to email me at hotguitar@hotmail.com.

------------------
Bill Fulbright
ICQ# 2251620

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2001 7:02 am    

Thanks for all of your comments and support about Peavey steel amplifiers. We appreciate your business.

Bill Cole, I was just pickin' at you(no pun intended).
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2001 12:12 pm    

Mr. Cole,

We look forward to having you my friend...Anytime. BTW I like the hat too...

Bill...Call anytime! Have a sfe trip. You can even bring your axe over and plug it in, or I can bring the amp to your place. Let me know buddy.

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2001 7:36 pm    

Yeah, If the reflection of the sun off of the water don't get you, the bikini's will, or maybe the better half whacking you in the face afterwards. I love girl scouting. It's fun (until you get caught)...
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2001 8:19 am    

Bill,
I bought my new 1000 from Bobbe and I can say that it is a very good amp.It is very,again,VERY clear and clean sounding amp.Every mistake you made,you`ll hear it very nice,clear and loud.No cover up`s possible.I was worned about that by forum members before I bought it.It is great amp for playing a top 40 stuff,but I dont think that guys who love more traditional steel would be very happy with 1000.They would probably rather go with Webb or Evans,I guess
However,definately a lot of music for very nice price.Bobbe can tell you more,price he has for a new one is $750 and it`s worth every penny IMHO,and he will take your 400 in trade also.

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne/damirzanne1.html
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2001 8:10 am    

I also have 2 guitarist friends who are crazy over my Nash 1000.
One is a jazz guy, the other guy is a rock and roller whose main amp is a mint '65 Twin. They've both used it on gigs, and they both rave about it. Even the tube-head !
-John