| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question on headphones
tim duvall

greensburg,pa,usa
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2001 5:02 am    

I don't know if this is the right area for this but anyway.... How do you go about playing with headphones? I tried to play with a regular set but I couldn't hear anything. I have a Session 500. Is there a special pair of headphones that I need or should regular ones work?
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2001 5:48 am    

Tim, most headphones will work on anything, but you need the right source for them to plug into. Most headphones are 8 ohms up to 600 ohms and are best plugged into a device with a headphones jack on it. You could plug it into the speaker jack of the Session 500, but really watch the volume level of the amp, it could blow the phones and your ears. I use a Mackie 1202 small mixer to patch my steel and all my tape machines into as it has a headphone jack and a volume control. I would suggest spending at least $50 on a pair of decent headphones, Sennheiser makes some very nice open-air ones so you can hear ambient sounds. I personally use AKG 240 Studio Monitors at $155/a piece.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2001 6:51 am    

The Session 500 has a headphone jack. But, the one on my Session 500 never worked from the day it was new. I never took the time to troubleshoot it and see what was wrong as I didn't need it anyway.
Bill Sharpe

Hermitage, TN 37076, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2001 10:35 am    

I've used the headphone jack on my Session 500 upon occasion over the the past 20 years, and my wife uses it still, from time to time, since she now uses the 500.

I don't know what the ohms are on the speakers in the headphones, but they are about 15 years old, and I bought them to use with my stereo system. They are KOSS Pro4AA.

If you use the headphone jack on your 500 I'd suggest, WITH THE AMP OFF, unplugging the speaker being careful to keep the speaker jack away from touching the amp chassis or metal contact, then plugging in the headphones and turning on the power.

With the amp off you can just reverse the process to use the speaker again. I've never had a problem using the headphones and Mike Brown of Peavey says this will not damage the amp. Hope this info helps.

------------------
B#

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2001 8:52 am    

The Session 500 comes equipped with a stereo headphone output jack. So, make sure that you are using a set of phones with a stereo plug.

Although you can unplug the speaker of the amp, we definitely do not recommend that you use this output to power a set of headphones. DAMAGE TO YOUR HEARING AS WELL AS TO THE HEADPHONES COULD OCCUR. THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO BE USED AS A HEADPHONE OUTPUT.