| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland Space Echo
Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2001 3:00 pm    

Anyone know if you can still get tapes for these things?? Anyone use one for steel?

I found on for around 60 bucks ... seems like a good price to me ..

Steve
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2001 3:37 pm    

Check with Scotty's. I know he has echoplex tapes, may have others.
Robert Thomas

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2001 4:31 am    

Hi. I have been trying to find a Space Echo. Would you cinsuder selling yours?

[This message was edited by Robert Thomas on 29 March 2001 at 06:42 AM.]

Robert Thomas

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2001 7:26 am    

Hi Steve this Thomas again. About that Space Echoe. I have a new Fostex, X-14, 4 track recorder I would consider trading straight across. Any interst? Let me know.
Robert Thomas

[This message was edited by Robert Thomas on 29 March 2001 at 06:43 AM.]

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2001 8:56 am    

Steve, If you can't find a replacement tape,you can use a piece of regular 1/4 inch tape with the ends spliced together
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2001 3:03 pm    

Steve,

Glenn has the solution. Just use a regular piece of 1/4" tape. Splice the two ends together and there you have it. And the tape manufactured today is better than that stuff the Roland used to use. Try using some Ampex 499 or GP9 1/4" tape.

Marcus

Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 1:56 pm    

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I found some tape at Radio Shack. Cleaned the heads and changed the tape and it works great! This is an awsome little unit. This is the 150 with only echo. I've heard there are a couple of models with a reverb also. If I ever find one I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Sorry Robert, I couldn't even consider a sale or trade. ;-)

Steve
Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 3:58 pm    

Stick with the echo only version, the reverb on those is practically unusuable.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2001 10:30 pm    

At the risk of seeming out of place here,
Would not the "Boss DD-3 or DD-5 " accomplish the same results? With out all the hassel of motors,tapes,head cleaning,etc,etc.

I have seen a couple of these old units, even repaired a few. If I had one I would gladly trade it for a good stomp-box delay unit.

I appolize if I offended anyone with this post. It may be just a thing with some of you guys to keep using these type units. I did find them to be a bit maintenance intensive.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 25 March 2001 at 10:31 PM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2001 8:53 pm    

Bill,

This whole subject of vintage vs state of the art is a touchy one. Some people are convinced that the older amps and effects just sound different. They are certainly noisier, but that may be part of the vintage sound that some people are looking for. For example and old Fender tube amp has a certain sound that the newer amps would be hard pressed to produce. The old echoplexes (especially the tube ones) are highly sought after. They are worth big money now. I used one in the early 70s and it was a nuisance. I was so thankful when digital delays came on the market. I think that most of the older players who lived through the snaps, pops, blown tubes, broken tapes, and blown speakers were happy to upgrade throughout the years.

The retro market is huge now. Whether the old stuff sounds different or whether those sounds can be found in the modern equipment is another story. I tend to favor newer electronics and older instruments.

A friend of mine is putting together an entire recording studio of vintage gear. Hammond organ, echoplex, tape recorders, tube amps, old mics and an ancient mixing console. He's convinced he's going to get a 60's sound. Weird huh?

------------------
www.dougbsteel.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2001 3:17 am    

Thanks for saying that, Doug. There are many that want the "retro" equipment or must have a certain model whatever, because their favorite player used that back in the 60's or 70's. That's great but their favorite player used that equipment because that was all that was available back then. Many of the favorites have moved on to more modern guitars and equipment (and sound as good or better).

I too believe in modern technology, having spent my (day job) career in electronics and computers. I started in bands in 1959 and I'm done screwing with tubes, tapes, noisy effects, etc. I had a new 71 Emmons D-10 (PP) and it was just like a Harley - a lot of time adjusting it. My all pull guitar has substantially decreased the required maintenance and is a lot easier to play.
Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2001 4:46 am    

Quote:
A friend of mine is putting together an entire recording studio of vintage gear. Hammond organ, echoplex, tape recorders, tube amps, old mics and an ancient mixing console. He's convinced he's going to get a 60's sound. Weird huh?

Doug, I'm betting your friend is going to be disappointed. I know people who have done this with 50's gear, and the recordings still sound relatively modern! Our ears are different! (rather, our perceptions are)

[This message was edited by Chris DeBarge on 27 March 2001 at 04:47 AM.]

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2001 11:10 pm    

Anyone know what the going market value is for the Roland space echo? I acquired one a few years back. seems to be in perfect shape but never even used it. Ive been content enough with my DD5 especialy with the tap tempo feature. I would probably consider parting with it since Im trying to raise funds to get some more levers + a rebuild on my '72 Emmons. Im not sure if it has the tape loop cartridge though.Have to dig it out and check.
Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2001 1:43 pm    

No offense taken. I've tried a few different stomp box and rack mount digital units and haven't really been happy with any of them. Maybe it's the never ending quest fot the perfect tone. And now that the new is wearing off this unit is a bit of a pain .. I'm having to change the tape again already .. but I just like it. To my ears the reprocuction of the note thoughout the repeats is a little more true than other units I've used. I dont' give a hoot about vintage or retro sounds, I just want something that sounds good and consistant to my ears.

Steve