| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Going between six and eight string spacing
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 1:45 pm    

I routinely bungle and pick the wrong string sometime when picking notes on my Fender Dual eight after playing my six string with it's wider spacing . It gets better as I play it though.
As I'm still a novice I was wondering if this " acclimation " diminishes over time ( practice and playing time that
is ).
I know when I first attempted slants it was a painful experience with whiny out of tune notes going out the open window , shattering, and falling to the ground in pieces while all family members gritted their teeth . But, over time/practice the slants are getting better . Just wondering if anyone other forumites have had this six/eight situation and worked through it.

thanks
Terry Farmer

Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 3:39 pm    

When I got a horseshoe from Jason and Rick it had wider spacing than the Wallace Tru-Tone I had been using. The wider spacing was similiar to my six string Gretsch. I changed the bridge and nut so my 8 spacing is the same as my 6. I like the wider spacing alot better.
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 5:00 pm    

Basically all my guitars have a different string spacing. Getting used to a new instrument with new string spacing takes a bit of time, but once I've got the hang of it I find that it sticks, and I can change guitars with no problems.

-Travis
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 5:17 pm    

I agree. Changing string spacing is little different from changing tunings. A time learning curve is what is needed. The human brain is an incredible thing when it comes to acclimating over time.

Stick with it. It will come.

carl
Chuck Fisher

Santa Cruz, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 11:17 pm    

changes in spacing affect me the same. scale length change is also an issue, it makes me off for a few minutes, I am changing all my guitars so the ones I keep will all be close to the same.

my new Benoit 8 is spaced and scaled like my pre-war Gibsons

my close spaced 24.5" scale 10-string will likely go to the sale block
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2004 3:30 pm    

Thanks for your comments everyone , I'm going to keep plugging away. Although my Fender Dual Pro is considerably quieter than my Goldtone lap steel I can get more options with the extra 2 strings on the Fender . The Fenders 5/16th spacing is close but I seem to do okay if I start on it and play for an hour or so. Having the A and C on the bottom means I can do some things I just can't do on the Goldtone. Although the Goldtone is 24.5 " scale the slants don't seem much different than the shorter Fender scale , at least on what I can manage to play so far that is.
I put flat wound strings on the Goldtone ( 3 through 6 ) last week and they really sing , esp. the .22 flat 3rd. string. It seems my shorter scale guitar may need a bit heavier guage string, esp. the outside neck tuned to A6 . The middle strings seem a little slack in tension for some reason.