| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans Amp.
SJ Russell

WACO,TEXAS US
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2001 8:10 pm    

I have a chance to buy a 200 watt evans amp. The amp is less than six months old and in perfect shape. I am not familar with the line of Evans amps and would welcome any input about the line and prices. Its owner is asking $500 for the amp and I am told that it sold new for eleven hundred. Thanks
Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2001 8:13 pm    

I'll take it if you don't want it.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2001 10:08 pm    

I have used an Evans FET 500 LV for 10 years. It is a great amp for steel. The only objection I have to the amp is the treble is way more than you need. I run mine at about 1 to 2 on the knob. If you run it at five or so, as Buddy Emmons says: You can shred lettuce with this thing. It'll make Chalker's tone sound like Mooney's. PS, If you double on lead, Evans are great lead amps as well.
SJ Russell

WACO,TEXAS US
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 8:42 am    

Thanks for the info. Does Evans build a stronger amp? I heard they make one thats about 500 watts. Is this True? Does anyone know the specs and the sound of a Webb amp?
Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2001 10:40 am    

I had an early Webb 614E. It was the best amp I had played through at that time. I had a Fender w/15 Lansing previous to it. At the time I was playing Sho-Buds and I loved it. I later switched to an Emmons and didn't like it nearly so well for that guitar. I bought an Evan's 500 Fet which seemed to fit the Emmons a lot better. The Webb amps are now about twice the cost of an Evans amp. They are about the same weight. I think the Webb amp is about 150 watts, I have forgotten for sure about that. The Evans I believe is 225 Watt. Either one has enough power in my opinion. The Webb did break up on low notes of the C6 tuning, that was the only drawback to it. The reverb is excellent.
Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 6:00 am    

I just had the opportunity to restore the prototype of the Evans Hybrid 300. It had been stashed in a barn for about 20 years and was a basket case. After the restoration, I gave it a test flight with my LeGrande, and let me tell you - I'm a believer!!! Best sounding amp I ever heard and not an iota of hiss or other noise. The case looks like it was made out of an old dinette table, but man does it have tone! This whole experience also gave me a chance to meet Jim Evans. He droppped by my shop to give me a schematic and we had a great talk. He's a super guy.

Happy as a clam in Texarkana...

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Alesis Microverb
Dan-Echo, E-Bow

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 11:02 am    

I have 2 SE-200's. One is low voltage and the other is the newer high voltage. They both kick butt and are crystal clear. I put a Black Widow in the HV model and it stands tall. Like Bob Knight, I'll take it at that price if you won't. I'll even throw in an extra $100 if its mint!
Wayne Wallett

Shermans Dale, PA USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2001 4:20 pm    

I have both an Evans and a Webb plus a couple of Fenders. You can't go wrong with either a Webb or Evans. I play my ShoBud Super Pro thru the Webb. Like the match of my Emmons Le Grande with the Evans best. Both amps have all the juice I need and sound great. I bought my Evans (store demo previous years model) for around $800. New Webbs I hear are up close $2000. for $500 if it's in good shape scarf it up, play it first and make sure it sounds good...I had a new Evans in early 80s that was awful, one I got 3 years ago is great.........good luck.
Wayne...ps I got rid of my Nashville 400.
Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2001 2:27 pm    

I played through the new Evans Hi power last year and haven't gotten over it yet. I will definitely be looking at it in Dallas next week. Nothing else compared to it. Well, maybe my Webb Starburst, but I am still in awe of Evans' buttery smooth tone.