| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lexicon MPX100
DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 4:56 am    

Is anyone using tne Lexicon MPX100 unit? How does it compare to the LPX1 and LPX5 combination?
Thanks in advance
Dale
Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 7:13 am    

Dale , the MPX100 uses the LexiChip or a
new version of it, so it sounds better than
the LPX versions. For the money its probably
the best reverb out there. Greg
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 7:32 am    

I love my MPX100. And Mars Music, a large national discounter, has had them advertised for several months now at $199.00! That, fellow forumites, is a good deal, IMHO.

I understand that Lexicon gives its dealers territory protection, so that there is usually only one or two local Lexicon dealers per metropolitan area. Of course, if you have Mars, Guitar Center, etc. etc, in your town, there's probably price competition out there anyway.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 8:51 am    

Some of the Lexicon stuff has low prices and good sound, but may not be a good value since it breaks down a lot.

My MPX-100 usually doesn't work right. (All the progrmas are the same useless delay pattern).
I had reliability problems with the old LXP-1 as well. Even after 2 expensive repairs it stiill occasionally goes into a mode of screeching and howling.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 9:10 am    

I love mine. I bought it used, and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble.
Dennis Scoville

Indiana
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 5:09 pm    

It's a lot of bang, especially for the buck. A couple of years back I think I was maybe the second or third steel player on the forum who got one. I think a lot of guys on the forum had a hard time believing some of the positive comments those early owners were making.

They had an even harder time believing you could get a piece of Lexicon gear for just over a hundred bucks.

What are they asking for them now?

I ordered mine from some store in CA and had it shipped to IN, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.

[This message was edited by Dennis Scoville on 12 February 2001 at 05:11 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 8:14 pm    

The list price on an MPX100 is now $299. Back a couple years ago, it was $249, but since there was only one place in town to get one, the best I could do was $225. Still, worth it.

Now that there's competition for the bucks, and Mars is in town, it's $199.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2001 3:37 am    

Thanks to everyone who responded. Musicians Friend has them for $199-sounds like a deal!
Dale
Grayson Joe

Raleigh,Ms.39153
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2001 6:23 am    

I have used the MPX-500 which were a bit noisey, went to the MPX-100 which were not noisey and i must say the tone of the reverbs were great and the delays too, but i heard so much about the LXP-1 and the LXP-5 and i got a pair of them, and you have the Lexie chip in those too, and i love the tone on these too,Useing two MPX-100 will give you about the some tone and effects as the old LXP-1 and 5 but if you are looking for the old Emmons tone of the sixties then these old LXP-1 and 5 with two old LTD-400 amps with the George-L TPP P/U will give you that tone and sound.

------------------
Joe Grayson,Monticello ms
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2001 7:12 am    

Dale,

I'm using a Lexicon MPX100 with an Evans rack-mount preamp and I have nothing but good sound from that combo. I got the MPX100 because the Evans doesn't have a reverb tank. The only thing I think should be enhanced on the MPX100 is the "Tap" button for tapping delay frequencies. It should have a potentiometer to fine tune the frequency as Lexicon gives you only 2 taps to get the frequency right. That's just not precise enough. Overall, the unit is quiet and for the money, the reverbs and delays are on a quality level with gear of a much higher price.

When I bought mine, I refused to accept the price I was quoted by the store and eventually got the price down to what Mars Music advertises them for now. This was before Mars set-up shop in town. So, $199 is probably close to the "low-water mark" for pricing.

Incidentally, I recommend haggling price on EVERYTHING that is bought from music stores. I'm continually amazed at the level of "mark-up" on EVERYTHING in most stores. I even do it when I buy strings.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn "The Cheap Skate"
Dennis Scoville

Indiana
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2001 11:17 am    

$299 to $199...? I paid $149 for mine, the MPX100 model had only been out for a short time. Guess that's what happens when you make something that becomes popular.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2001 7:01 pm    

Quote:
It should have a potentiometer to fine tune the frequency as Lexicon gives you only 2 taps to get the frequency right. That's just not precise enough.
Actually, it takes the last two taps. I just tap along to the music until I feel that I'm in sync, then stop tapping. That seems to get it right. I'd be a long time fiddling with a knob.

It works so well that at my last gig, at one point I thought that the lead guitar player was playing a solo while I was doing mine. I had the mix control too high, and since the echo was right on the beat it took me about two measures to realize that it was me and not him!