| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody try a Peavey Classic 50?
Dennis Scoville

Indiana
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 12:40 pm    

Just wondered if anybody's every tried a Peavey Classic 50 amp (either 2 12's, or 4 10's) for pedal steel?

I searched a ways back in the Electronics file and didn't see any mention of these. Could this be an idea that's not even worth looking into?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 1:09 pm    

Hi Dennis. Haven't seen your name here in ages. Hope you're good.
I did a search on "classic 50" and turned up very little--in fact the only mention was by Steve Stallings who gave the 50 212 a thumbs up. I know that other discussions of the Classic 30 have yielded wildly divergent opinions. I don't know if the 30 and the 50 are cut from the same stock.
Aaron Schiff

Cedaredge, CO, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 1:27 pm    

I saw several discussions of the Classic 50/212 during the past couple weeks. As I recall, the feedback was positive. I think Mike Brown said it was one of the better Peavey Amps for steel. Maybe he'll post a response.
Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2001 2:24 pm    

I just re-tubed a Classic 30 in my shop. Really liked it, but the tubes the customer wanted were a little bright for my steel. I would like to play around with it a little and try a "softer" set of Groove Tubes. For lead it's clean and brassy, but with my Legrande and GHS super steels (strings), it was a little much. Overall I liked the amp.

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Alesis Microverb
Dan-Echo, E-Bow

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2001 3:41 pm    

I am using Peavey Classic 50/50 rack system with two Peavey 1501-04BW shallow basket speaker cabinet. Sounds good for steel. For guitar I think 12" speakers would be better, I have not tried this. It probably sounds goods for steel to since there was some posting by people like Jeff Newman stating it to sound allright with enough lows.
Ad
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2001 8:28 pm    

I believe Mike Brown stated that Curly Chalker used the Peavey Classic 50-212 amp prior to his passing. If the Classic 50 was good enough for Curly it must be OK for the rest of us earthlings.
Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2001 7:09 am    

I bougt a Classic 50 2x12, mainly for guitar. At first I did not like it for steel, but afther a while I liked the sound more and more. I play a Super-Pro with BL710 pickup. The amp shure is loud enough. It works great if you are looking for the 60's sound, the one I like most - and you don't have to carry two heavy amps to the gig if you also play guitar. It might not be a very good amp if you are playing only new-country and want THAT sound. I find the sound crisp clear, with a lot of punch, but without the fat low. Great for singlestring C6 picking. Try it, you might like it!
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2001 2:04 pm    

I played a Classic 30 for a few years. This amp is really voiced for blues guitar. I didn't care for it as a lap steel guitar amp and it didn't quite make it as a jazz guitar amp either, IMHO. I've got a Fender Blues Jr. now that I like much better. One man's opinion.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2001 7:48 pm    

I like the Classic 30 a lot, but as a blues amp. IMHO it sounds better than the classic 50, in that it is a little less overdriven, but it is definitely voiced on the blues side. As a country or jazz amp, there are better choices.
Dennis Scoville

Indiana
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 5:02 pm    

Thanks to all for the info and opinions.

I would have replied sooner, but my computer at home has got a busted modem. Funny thing, it's kind of nice to have one less electronic appliance at home. If you know what I mean.

I've been curious about those Classic 50's. I've played with a couple of Tele players who made them sound great. It's nicer to sit beside a Classic 50 than a Twin, because guitar players seem to be able to get the sweet-spot on a Classic without having to run it wide open -- like a Twin.

Guess I'll just have to try one sometime.

Adios
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2001 5:19 pm    

Yep, I own one of the classic 50212. I have used it for steel and it sounds pretty good, though I almost always use it just for my tele and use two large cab old Evans for my steel.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter D10/Evans

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2001 7:27 am    

The Classic 50 series will be known as a "Classic" for years to come. I can't really say that it was engineered for any one catagory of music though. That's what makes it so popular.

The Classic 50 head is Brent Mason's favorite amp and he is a MONSTER guitarist. During my stint as an Artist Relations rep here at Peavey, the Classic Series of amps were the most requested amplifier by touring guitarists. It is the type of amp that pro musicians used for "fly dates" without having to second guess what type of amp they could expect. It is an all around great amplifier for "any" type of music.

And yes, Curly Chalker's amplifier choice was two Classic 50/212's.
Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2001 10:21 pm    

Hi Mike:
I have a Peavey Deuce. To my understanding its the same amp as the Classic with twice the power. Please verify.
Thanks
Dennis
gary darr

Somewhere out in Texas
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2001 4:15 pm    

Dennis,if the clasic 50 is the newer one with the tweed covering and "chicken head knobs" I have used mine for practicing on a couple of times.It gets a pretty good vintage tone however you have to be carefull not to get into the volume pedal to hard if it is the four-10" speakers, it tends to distort. I have thought about trying a 15" speaker cabinet on it but have not got around to it yet.

------------------
sho-bud,session 500,american standard strat,shecter tele,peavy classic 50

[This message was edited by gary darr on 14 February 2001 at 04:19 PM.]