| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CONVERTING 110v PEAVEY TO 220v.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2001 8:16 pm    

Could there be any unwanted side effects from converting either a Peavey Nashville 400 or Stereo Chorus 212 from 110v. to 220v.? Could a local electronics shop do it easily and what would be a fair price for such a modification? Finally, would there be any problem with just keeping it at 110v. and using a step down transformer from 220v. to 110v.? Thanks, Steve

[This message was edited by steve takacs on 28 January 2001 at 04:06 AM.]

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2001 10:36 pm    

Steve, let me try and help you. I assume you are going to a place that has 220 VAC at 50HZ instead of 110 VAC at 60HZ. Do not modify the amp, get a step down transformer. You must step down from 220VAC to 110VAC. The only thing you will have to consider is how much current you want to pull, as every transformer has a current rating. Current rating is listed in amps or mili-amps. The next problem is plug configurations in different countries. The shape of the recepticals are different in different countries. Usually, the 50HZ instead of the 60HZ is not a problem, unless the electronics, filter capacitors are designed real close. I hope this information helps you.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 4:12 am    

Keith, thank you for the help..I certainly would trust your judgment. Now I'll need to ask Mike Brown at Peavey if the tolerances in the Nashville 400 and the Stereo Chorus 212 electronics and filters are such that that 50 or 60 Hz would not make a difference. Appreciate your taking the time to share your expertise. Steve
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 5:06 am    

Hey Steve. When you get the solution, could you post it. I've been wondering about this for a while. Back in August I sold a guy 2 Nashville 400's. He was in Berlin, Germany. He called Peavey and I think he told me that they said it wasn't a problem. But I never found out what exactly "isn't" the problem. I think Keith is absolutely correct on the step-down transformer. The guy in Germany sort of indicated that it didn't require any modification at all. Which that doesn't seem right. Looks like it would have to be converted some way. Regards.

[This message was edited by Bill C. Buntin on 28 January 2001 at 05:10 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 6:49 am    

The 50Hz generally is not a problem unless you have something that uses the line frequency for a reference. The voltage IS a problem and with a converter (step down transformer) that is rated high enough for the current it shouldn't be a problem.

Some amps have export model power transformers that can be wired for 220 or 110VAC. I'd check with Peavey and see if one is available for that amp. That would be the easiest way to go.
Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2001 2:21 pm    

I know when I had bought my session 500 in England around 1982 it already had a "three" stepdown transformer built in as in the U.K. it`s 240v, continental 220v, and as we know 110, on this continent.
Perhaps Mike Brown could expand on which transformer was used back then on those particular amps as a lot of U.K. steel players were moving over to the 500s at that time.

Bob Mainwaring.Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2001 10:40 am    

Hello. I bought a Session 500 from US last year and had it shipped here to Norway(a bit costy though.....). I went to the local Peavey dealer and he had an original trafo in his store. When I say original I mean one of the trafos that were used in these amps as they were modified for the European market. He told me that these amps had been exported to Europe (in the 80's I think). He replaced the fuseholder(and the fuse), and the power swith. He told me that now the amp is as "legal" (electronically) as it can be. Anyway, the amp works just fine now and the difference in Hz doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

------------------
Thanks SveinungL - Norway
----------------
Kentucky Riders