| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Digital Delay Stomp Boxes
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 7:47 pm    

I see that there are quite a few delay units available for less than $100. Has anybody tried any of them. The Guyatone Micro digital delay looks interesting. It's very compact and shouldn't take up much room in the old pac-a-seat.

Lee, from South Texas
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2000 10:15 pm    

I recommend a BOSS DD-3 Digital Delay,or a RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay.
Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 12:59 am    

Don't know if it's digital but I can really recommend the cheap Ibanez Echomachine. This is so close to the old 1950s-60s tape delays..plus very quiet. It doesn't change the original tone which is the best part of it.

Andy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 3:59 am    

I use a Boss DD-5, which is similar to the DD-3 but it also has a "tap" function.

You have to be careful with some of the stomp boxes as they work great with a guitar but a steel will overload them and cause them to distort. I'd recommend trying any unit with your steel before purchasing it.
Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 8:51 am    

Lee,
I also would recommend the BOSS DD-3.
I picked one up on Ebay for 65$ and I love it. If you get one, buy a DC converter because I hear it will eat batteries.

Steel Rockin',

Tony Orth
Dekley S-11
Session 400 Limited
Boss DD-3
Understanding Wife
Larry Hendrickson

New Glarus, WI
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 9:09 am    

Lee, I would recommend the Boss RV-3. I use one with my Peavey amps. It has both reverb and delay and you can use either at the same time or just delay if you want. It takes a while to learn the settings but you will get alot of recommendations from the forum members. The unit has two out patches on it so you can run two amps with it. I do this occasionally or I run one of the outs to a tape deck to record along with a CD or other tape. I just think for the money the RV-3 is the best unit. I bought mine on e-bay for $101.00. LH
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 9:49 am    

I see Steel Guitar Nashville has RV3's for $142 new. A good price.
slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 10:08 am    

Lee,
I recently bought a Boss DD-3,gotta get an adapter man it eats batteries.Great little
delay.

Wayne
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 2:27 pm    

Without a doubt, the Line 6 Delay Modeler pedal is the finest by far. It models 16 different delay pedals with uncanny accuracy, including a tube echoplex. You can store 3 presets of pedals and it also has a tap button. Awesome. Street price is about $250.00.
Matt Farrow

Raleigh, NC, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2000 3:08 pm    

I'll second the Delay Modeler from Line6. Buy one, then go to Radio Shack and buy a power adapter for an old 8-bit Nintendo, (9VAC @ 1300mA) and a new plug for it (5.1mmOD). Solder that all up and you've saved youself about $40 over buying the adaptor from Line6. The DL4 eats the heck out of batteries, plus it uses 4!!! C-cell flashlight batteries. That's because it does true bypass with a set of relays, which pull a lot of current when you're using the pedal. Greg Leisz uses one of these Delay Modelers, I think he uses the Tube Echoplex, Digital Delay, and maybe the Stereo Delay models, I forget. His rig is in the issue of Guitar Player with Jeff Beck on the cover from December or January, I think.

Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2000 6:51 am    

I use a Danelectro Dan-Echo stomp box. I looked around quite a bit before I found one I liked. This one is really great sounding. The general tone is very warm and gives a real depth to my Emmons. I recommend it for sure.

Rick

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Alesis Microverb
Dan-Echo, E-Bow

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2000 10:19 am    

Hey Pharoh,

I got the power adapters from Guitar Center for $19.95, which was not too bad. I also have the modulator box which is great also. They are big, but worth it.
Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2000 5:02 pm    

Lee that DD3 or DD5 is hard to beat, the RV is more suited for the reverb effect.If you like Chorus the best one I have ever used is a TC Electronics in combination with the DD3 or DD5. The tone is amazing with those two units, the TC is a little expensive but worth every penny after you try one. Play this thru two amps. I think you will like the sound.
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 30 Dec 2000 4:45 pm    

OK. I just brought home a Guyatone MD2, Micro Digital Delay. They run about $98 in the catalogs. A buddy, who owns a music store, is letting me have one for $80.

This thing is incredible. It sounds great and is the smallest stomp box I have ever seen. It's about two and one-half inches wide by about three and one-half inches long. It will practically fit in a shirt pocket. And it sounds great.

I'm impressed. I believe that Guyatone also makes a little bitty digital reverb unit.

Lee, from South Texas
Terry Downs

Wylie, TX US
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 10:04 am    

I use the RV3. I really like this device. I think "stomp boxes" are well suited for steel because they are designed to operate from guitar level signals and not line level. You must have a serious studio quality rack effect to work at instrument levels without adding noise. I saw Paul Franklin use a DD-2 (or 5) a couple years ago. Thats a pretty good sample point. It turns out that he knows quite a bit about steel guitar and tone
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 12:23 pm    

In addition to the Guyatone reverb pedal,
I see now that Danelectro has one for
about $40 or so! Pretty amazing if they
actually sound any good.
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 31 Dec 2000 7:01 pm    

Hi,
I have a new DD3 and am having difficulty getting it to souind just right. Can someone on the forum suggest some settings for a slow country song such as "Release Me"

Brian
Sierra Artist/Peavey
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 10:54 am    

Jay - Those cheap Danelectro stomp boxes aren't much more than toys. Their higher end units sound real good.

I have a small rack that has a Lex MPX-100 in it. It has great reverbs, delays, chorus, etc. I have the rack set up to drive two amps. I wanted a small, inexpensive delay unit to keep in the pac-a-seat for rehearsals or when I just use one amp. This little bitty Guyatone unit is just perfect.

Lee, from South Texas
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 11:58 am    

Does Peavey stil make the 'Deltafex? It was a great inexpensive unit, worked off AC, no batteries. Of course it had no memory but how many players use more that 2or 3 settings anyway?
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2001 7:13 am    

tbhenry....

Quote:
I have a new DD3 and am having difficulty getting it to souind just right. Can someone on the forum suggest some settings for a slow country song such as "Release Me"

left to right,

set the first 2 knobs at 9:00 o clock
set the 3rd knob at 12:00 noon. this works very well for the song "Release Me" and most other moderant tunes.

The 4th knob, I keep set at the 800 setting, as that allows a wide swing of effects from just a reverb effect to a very long and repeating delay sound depending on how you set the first 3 knobs.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 2:48 pm    

Has anyone tried the new DigiTech RP100? It seems to have a lot of bells & whistles and comes in just under $100.00. And you guys that are Line6 fans, was it not worth another $80.00 or so to go to the POD? I'm not that familiar with Line6 products, but have a friend who takes his guitar and POD when he does studio work. Just curious.
RC
John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 9:27 pm    

I tried the Digitech RP100 with lead guitar and didn't like it. I'm sure I would like it less for steel guitar. ... and I'm a Digitech fan.

John Paul Jones
Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 5:42 pm    

What wallwart (AC ADOPTER) do you use with the BOSS DD-3???

Can you use a:
BOSS: PSA 120T In:120V 60HZ 9W / Out: DC 9.6V 200mA

OR

BOSS: PSA 120 In:120V 60HZ 8W / OUT: DC 9V 200mA

What's the difference between the OUT C 9V and the OUT C 9.6V

Can I use either one?????

KEN

[This message was edited by Kenneth Kotsay on 13 January 2001 at 05:43 PM.]

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 11:09 pm    

I still have my old Boss DM 3 which is anolog. Thought I'd better up date to the DD 3 but It don't have near the mellow tone as the anolog. Where you really notice the differance Is the vocal on tape. I also have a Digitech 256 XL which I use "most of the time" on the steel. You know how It Is, gotta keep looking for that perfect sound. My wife Is In Iowa with her 99 year old mother so I've been blasting away all night and with the curtians drawn I had the best tone I've ever had. On the Tele and Jaguar I just use reverb on the Fender Twin set on three.

Bob Carlson

Uff Da!
Chris Heinrich

Pensacola, FL
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 1:43 am    

I'll agree with Mr. Baucom on the little Danelectro boxes. They make alot of noise. Also, I tried the Guyatone unit, but it didn't have the versatility of my DD-3. Roland has yet to let me down.
Chris