| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 400 vs. Nashville 1000
Steve French

Roseville CA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 12:14 am    

I have a question about the Nashville 1000. I've used 400s for both steel and standard guitar for years. The 400 works great for double duty -- I can plug my steel into the bottom input, the Tele in the top, run a digital effects unit in the fx loop, and get a decent tone for both instruments. The levels are more or less comparable, and I don't have to do any other switching for tone or volume when I switch instruments. I just grab the other guitar and go.
For those of you who know the Nashville 1000... would it work the same way? The manual for the 1000 says the two inputs are low gain and high gain, but that when both are used both become low gain. BTW, I use a Mullen D10 with PF-1s, and a '52 reissue Tele.
This also raises a broader question about which I've frequently wondered: How many of you out there double on steel and guitar? What amplification do you use? Short of two amps (and two effects setups), how do other players get both a good guitar tone and clean headroom for steel?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 4:26 am    

I don't play much lead, but when I do and use my Nashville 400 the only change is I use the pull bright switch for my Tele and it is off for my steel. My Nashville 400 has the factory tone mod.

The 1000, front panel wise, looks about the same as the Nashville with the Parametric EQ. The 1000 has more power and a "digital" power amp section. The two inputs probably work the same as the Nashville 400 and other Peavey amps.

However, my main rig is a rack system with a Transtube Fex and a MosValve 500 power amp, and two 12" BW speakers.
Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 1:39 pm    

I have never used a NV400 out, because I never liked the tone until I put in a Lemay modification for a friend lately. It sounds good now. I have used the new 1000 out on jobs and It sounds good with the steel and my guitars. I use a Strat,and a Gibson Les Paul. I plug my lead guitar into a Mesa Boogie floor model V-Twin preamp and a Boss BE 5 floor effects unit. It has a noise gate, chorus, delay,compressor and overdrive in the unit. I then plug this into the other channel of the 1000 , with my steel into the other one. I can control the overall volume of the guitar, and bass and treble with the Mesa Boogie preamp. I think the tone rivals a Fender twin for tone. That is the tone I like, and I suppose you could change the tone to something else with the Boogie preamp if you liked. This is all used with the settings I like for my steel, set on the Peavey 1000. If I am just going to play steel, I just take my Evans amp with no effects and only one amp. The tone and reverb suit me just fine and I don't have much to carry. I still am not too impressed the the reverb unit on the 1000. I think it could have been better. If I use it with a delay unit, where I don't need quite as much reverb, it sounds good. But it is still much like the old reverb of Peaveys' and when you turn it up, it just gets hollow and thin sounding to me, instead of fuller and pleasing.

[This message was edited by Fred Murphy on 19 November 2000 at 01:41 PM.]

Grayson Joe

Raleigh,Ms.39153
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 2:30 pm    

I also own two nashville 1000 amps. they are a good steelguitar amp. except the reverb tone stinks...Peavey at one time had a good spring reverb in thir first session 400 amps.and all you needed back then was that one amp.with the reverb turn up to about 6 or 7 and you had a great tone and sound for the steelguitar, but now days with peavey steel amps. you got to buy a good delay and reverb box from some other company to make the peavey amps. sound like they should to start with.The real truth is Peavey has let us steel players down on reverb and other effects for the steelguitar.

------------------
Joe Grayson,Monticello ms
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2000 4:09 pm    

Well Joe, evidently, the tonal preferences of the majority of the market have shifted. I hear no reverb today that really satisfies me like the old ('60s Fender and Gibson) sound. It's not just Peavey that's "lost it"...it's EVERYBODY!
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2000 11:30 am    

Hi Steve,tone is so subjective, for instance I like the reverb in the Nash 1000.Hade it in the studio yesterday and everyone commented on how great the tone was!The producer said it was the best steel sound he had ever had in his studio.I was very happy to hear that.I use a Sierra U12 with a Nash 1000 no added affects.For guitar that is a horse of a different color.Since I got the 1000 my guitar tone is not what i'm looking for.I play a Strat with a Peavey bandit,am thinking about going to a true tube amp,Twin or Peavey Classic.I'll keep you posted. DB
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2000 7:53 am    

I, too use two amps when performing out with a band. My needs are a 2 channel amp for use with my Fender Telecaster or Peavey Reactor and either the N'Ville 1000 or 400 for steel. I really never expect a steel guitar amp to give me the voicing for six string electrics, so I don't use the same amp for both purposes.

The inputs of the Nashville 1000 and 400 operate the same. Both are wired in parallel so when two instruments are plugged in, both become low gain inputs. It is wired this way so that hot or active pickups cannot easily overdrive the front end of the amp which would cause premature clipping.

Reverb types and equalization tone is so subjective as the previous posts have proven. I selected the reverb for the Nashville 1000, but not the Nashville 400. After polling some of our dealers and endorsement artists, the preference was the present reverb that the 1000 is shipped with. The 3 spring reverb that the 400 was shipped with became "cloudy" after a certain level(for lack of better words). Reverb is hard to pinpoint until you hear it yourself.

I would like to hear from you guys on what characteristics you prefer in a good reverb sound. Your input is valuble. Call me toll free at 1-877-732-8391.

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2000 8:08 am    

Overall I am well pleased with my 1000 amp and I wouldn't part with it, but my preference for a reverb would be for the sound of either the Crate G130 guitar amp or Yamahas. These are both solid state amps and both have good sounding reverbs and chorus's in my opinion. I think the Fender twin set the benchmark for reverb, but these are tube amps and probably can't be compared to solid state amps. I have a Yamaha stereo chorus amp which I think has excellent reverb for lead guitar. I no longer am willing to tote the weight of a Fender twin with me, for no more lead guitar than what I play, and the Peavey 1000 is the best sounding steel amp I have for lead guitar.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2000 6:09 pm    

I like my Vegas 400,session 400 limited,and Fender Vibrosonic for steel,and for lead guitar I like using either my Peavey Classic Chorus,Transchorus210,Express112.I sure wish that Peavey still made these "212" chorus amps.I really love'em. The"210"set-up is nice and portable too.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2000 10:04 pm    

I use an Evans FET500 LV for both steel and lead guitar. I don't change tone settings. The only problem I have is my Tele just doesn't keep up volume wise with the Steel. I play the Tele using the foot pedal (volume pedal), and to equate the volume, I have to max the volume pedal. Maybe I need to talk to Bill Lawrence about standard guitar pickups ?
Raymond Beale

Rosenberg, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 8:58 am    

I use a Peavy Vegas 400. One amp, with two complete seperate input channels with their own tone and volumn controls. I've doubled steel and guitar for years, and thats why I bought the amp.

It's almost impossible to find a amp with enough power for steel that has the above features. I would buy a Vegas 1000 if Peavy would make it.

------------------
"STRINGBUSTER"
MSA S-12 (2)both B6/E9
Ray Beale Rosenberg,Tx
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 12:19 pm    

We are constantly striving for that "perfect amp". So, please keep your input coming as to what features you like on your amplifiers and thanks for choosing and using Peavey products.

I suggest that you check out our latest amplifiers, the Transformer 112 and 212 versions. I think that you will be very surprised at how good these amps sound for six string electrics.
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 12:25 pm    

I have to agree with Raymond on this one. I had a Vegas 400 and regret selling it. One amp with 2 independant channels. If Peavey did make a Vegas 1000, Id be the first to buy it. How about it Mike?
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 4:31 pm    

I have used two amps for years, (Session 400 LTD and an old LTD.) I set the amps for the guitar and use an 6 band MXR graphic equalizer on the steel. So far, so good.
Mike;
Maybe make an amp with a foot-switchable alternate tone bank. I might have to get two of them.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2000 5:13 pm    

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. I don't know if you remember me or not. I was the steel player for Desert Star and worked with WT English and Donna Cox. Are you playing anywhere? I have steel jams every couple of months or so and you're welcome to attend. Should be one in Feb. Watch the announcements section. It would be nice to see you again.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
Richard Sinkler BS, www.sinkler.com

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2000 12:14 am    

I'm with Ray Beale,a VEGAS 1000,I'd forgot to mention,my Fender electric fiddle sounds good thru my Vegas 400.So how about a VEGAS 1000,with a 300 watt digital power amp?Sounds like a winner to me.I picked up another Transchorus 210 over the weekend.I just love'em.
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2000 7:09 am    

Ernie and Steve,
I hear your suggestions. We might have a solution to your problems in the near future.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2000 8:48 am    

Mike, why don't you bypass the whole spring reverb idea and go with a digital unit similar to the Stereo Chorus 212? There's lots of guys who's only wants are reverb and delay. Would the pricing work?
KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 12:07 am    

To add to John's post,a Vegas 1000{ 2 channels}with digital reverb,and delay, and a 300 watt digital power amp. Yea,go Peavey. I love'em.
Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 7:48 pm    

I started using the Peavey amps back in the 70's and have used them ever since. I've still got three of them. I have an old Session 400, a newer Nashville 400 and a Vegas 400. My favorite will always be the old Session 400, but the one I always take with me everywhere is the Vegas!
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2000 8:12 pm    

I recently purchased a Nashville 1000 and have been pretty happy with it in most situations. I think it's a little sweeter sounding than my NV400 with the Lemay mod.

However, I did try out a Fender Showman amp with my EV 15 loaded cabinet and loved that tone. (Fresh, biased tubes.)It was a red knob vintage Showman--I guess early '90s. It seemed that Fender finally got it right for us steel/lead players. Both chanels have 3-band EQ and presence. Both channels have reverb. So you can plug steel into one, guitar into the other and dial up your sound. And to me the EQ settings for steel and lead are WAYY different. Also, you can adjust the output impedance for different cabinet combinations (a la Mesa). The price was great, about $275, used, with fresh tubes. That compares very favorably with some of the pricey hand-made tube amps these days!

The downside was, first, the weight. The Showman head with reverb isn't much lighter than the Nashville 1000 with speaker. Of course, you have to haul a speaker cab and plug them together. Also,I did not use the Fender in a live situation so I suspect clipping would be an issue on a big stage or with a loud band.

With the NV-1000, you have one very reliable, fairly light unit that actually can be tweaked to sound close to the Fender. I use a Boss 7-band EQ box and can quickly adjust the graphic curve with the faders to get my guitar sound. An A/B box makes it easy to switch from one to the other (same input).

I do love the tube tone for steel and guitar but just haven't come across an acceptable alternative to what Peavey offers for a great price.

John
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 10:32 am    

John, we appreciate your comments and support of our products. I don't think that anyone can dispute the fact that consumers want to pay a reasonable price for a good, quality amplifier that has the features that they can use for their trade.

If you are familiar with our company, you know that this is exactly what we try to do when designing a product, ie; sell a good quality amplifier at a reasonable price. The Nashville 1000 and Session 2000 amps were a long time in the making because we did a LOT of research in the beginning stages with our endorsement artists, jam sessions, and valuble input from dealers and customers. Still, we priced these at a reasonable cost considering what you get in return.

One comment that I hear quite often about Peavey products is, "it's good gear for the money". Let's face it, isn't that what you look for when you buy anything, regardless of what it is? Would you throw in a couple of hundred dollars on a product to a manufacturer simply because you know that they manufacture good, quality products? Personally, I wouldn't. My point is, why pay high prices for a product if you don't have to?

We appreciate your support of Peavey products.

Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2000 10:41 pm    

I have 4 Peavey amps right now. I must tell you, to me, playing Peavey is NOT a compromise of price. If there was something I liked better, I would be using it. Have had Crates, Ampeg, Fender, a few others over the years... I got my first Peavey, and have used nothing else since.
My L.A. 400 was in a 85 mph headon car accident with me, in 1988, and still works perfectly. Guess I should take it to the shop, and have it checked for damage one of these days..

Having said that:

I am a real new steel player, and just starting to play with my band. My early 80's vintage L.A. 400 ( I bought it new ), sounds great with my steel. The black widow speaker really has a nice steel tone, and the reverb is very smooth. I am kinda curious what the differences are between a Nashville 400, Vegas 400 and my L.A. 400. Sounds like it would be mostly geographic.
Will have to pull spec sheets from the Peavey web sight and compare them...

For lead guitar, I use either a Renown 400, or a Stereo Chorus 400 (not real impressed with this one. Used to use a pair of Bandits, in stereo, but lately opted for the warmer 212 sound.) I like the sound of the Renown better, much richer, but have had some problems with the reverb lately. Have been letting the piano player use that, sans reverb, and am using the Chorus 400 for my Strat or Tele.

I also have a Mach III bass amp. And a full Peavey PA system.

Not experienced enough at steel, to know how what I have compares to the norm, but I like what I hear, at least for my level of playing it, which isnt much.

Sure nice to find a Peavey friendly forum. Seems most forums these days think you're a hack if you use them...

Tom
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2000 4:02 pm    

mike...you're a great guy to put up with us.i love my old LTD 400 and probably wouldn't ever get anthing else, especially if it was larger or heavier. i'll use a digital reverb and delay stomp box with it. however, at lower volume (rehearsal,home,etc.)i find my old bandit 112 with it's reverb alone has an even more comfortable tone for steel and guitar both.
Ed Byerly

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2000 7:45 pm    

I think the Vegas 400 was the perfect set up
for my use. Switching from steel to guitar in a hurry is a pain on just the Nashville.
I think the Vegas 1000 with digital reverb/echo would be a killer. Forget the springs. I would like to use 2 amps, but most of the club stages are too small to spread out. I use a new Carter S-12 & a G&L Broadcaster thru a Digi-Tech Quad and Nashville 400. The Vegas got to be too noisy.

------------------
Carter S-12

Ed Byerly
Wild in Northwest Ohio