| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need a new practice amp
Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 7:06 am    

My old Fender Champ is on it's last legs. Can anyone suggest a good practice amp which could also be miked for small venues? I'm particularly concerned that it have quality EQ. Thanks.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 10:08 am    

I use a Fender Stage 112SE (made from 1992-1999). It's a small-sized amp that has over a hundred watts. Great tone, but a crappy reverb. But, then again, all small amps nowadays have a crappy reverb! The bass response of most small amps is seriously lacking, but this one has some real bottom end punch. Add a small delay pedal, and you're set to go! Used, they're about $250. I believe they still make the Stage 100SE, which is quite similar (just a little less power).

I can't wait to try a BW, or an EV speaker in it!
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 10:38 am    

I bought 2 Danelectro Nifty-Fifty amps and use them with an RV3 stereo reverb/delay. I have a Boss EQ stomp box that I have used with this set up but I've found i don't really need it.
These are 15W practice amps for the living room or small jams. Haven't tried them at a gig yet.
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 11:12 am    

Pete, you play a U12 right?

How's the bottom end on those 2 Danelectro's? What's the speaker size? You play them stereo I gather(?)

The big amps just don't get to breathe and honk in a living room. I'm looking for a good home amp too.

Donny, Fender's making the Stage 100; it now comes as an amp head. Also the Stage 160 which is still a combo.

Thanks, Bob
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 11:41 am    

I use a Peavey Envoy 110, 40 watts through a 10" speaker. works great for practice at home and low volume rehersals.
I've even used it on a few sessions where I was just doing an overdub.
It has 2 channels, one clean and one with a pre & post vol control that with the "trans-tube" circuits gives me a really nice "grit" for a more hard edge tone for R&R! I paid about $200/225 for it if I remember correctly.
JE:-)>
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 2:33 pm    

Bob,
The bottom end sounds O.K. You don't "feel" it but you can hear it. I've used these with a Profex II and the RV3 which are both stereo effects and I like the tone well enough. They are 8" speakers. They are small and have a vintage look about them so they look O.K. in a living room I guess. It's a low volume situation with these amps.
For $99 a pop they fill the bill for my needs.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2000 3:25 pm    

I have a Fender Princeton 112 Plus that is a nice little amp. It is around 60 watts, solid state, and lightweight, with a pretty good reverb. It has more low end than most lower powered Peaveys that I've tried and can be bought used for around $150 to $175. I'm a dyed in the wool Peavey man, but this amp is great for practice or small gigs.
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 12:04 pm    

Thanks Pete.

Darvin, is that maybe a Princeton 65? Or maybe a Stage 112? It's not a combination of names I'm familiar with. What you describe sounds intriguing, so I'd like to know if I have it mixed up. No disrespect intended.

Thanks, Bob
Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 8:50 pm    

Jerremy,
Check out the Peavy Classic 30. 2 channels, nice reverb, 12" speaker and tons of tone and volume. Works great practice and smaller gigs. Even used it on not so small gigs, but got a little dirty/gritty.
Pat
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2000 5:30 am    

For this type of application, I suggest you give the Peavey Studio Pro 112 a try. 65 watts, good reverb and E.Q. These amps are light weight, and have a lot of punch for their size. This amp retails new for $349.99.