| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mod Kits For Peavey Products
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2000 5:18 am    

Here's the Mod kits currently available from Peavey, and the prices. You can also get these kits from your local Peavey dealer.

Nashville 400-#90500048-retail-$29.98
Vegas 400-#90500047-retail-$39.98
Session 400 Limited-#90500049-retail-$32.98
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2000 4:45 pm    

Danny, are these different than the LeMay mods? Has anyone ever done a side-by-side comparison of the Peavey Mods versus the Lemay mods?
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 3:18 am    

Hi Donny:

Yes, I have, and there is absolutley no difference at all in the sound between the two. The big difference is that you pay a lot less for the exact same thing!

These kits aren't too difficult to install, but if you'd rather not try to do it yourself, you can send your chassis to Peavey and have it done. I've sent several of my own amps to Peavey for this, and they do an excellent job with pretty fast turn around time on them.

To date, I've had the Peavey mods put in four Nashville 400's, one Session 500, one Vegas 400, and one Session 400 LTD, and they work great. Peavey's mods do the exact same thing for these amps as Lemay's mods do.

If you need more info on this, contact Mike Brown at Peavey. He can give you an idea of what it costs to have it done by Peavey.

Hope this answers your questions.

[This message was edited by Danny Hullihen on 24 October 2000 at 04:21 AM.]

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 5:07 am    

Hopefully, I can finalize the Session 500 and Profex II mod kits soon. However, the Vegas 400, Session 400 Limited and the Nashville 400 kits are shipping now.

Keep in mind that you can download the documents of these kits free from the Peavey website at "www.peavey.com". Click on "search", then select "website", then type in "steel guitarist" and enter. Click on the title "steel guitarist" again and it will bring you to a page which list these three kits.

If you have questions concerning any of the kits or about Peavey products, give me a toll free call in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391.
Bob Brocius

Lake Katrine, NY USA Don't blink, you'll miss it.!
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2000 8:43 am    

Hey Mike,
I'll be waiting for the Profex II Mod Kit. If you can, give us a post here when it becomes available. I'm modifying my Nashvilles as we speak. Bob
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2000 7:43 am    

Thanks Bob,
I will post the announcement on the Forum if Bob permits. At any rate, you will also be able to locate the kits on the Peavey website. If you have questions, feel free to contact me here at the Peavey factory. The U.S. toll free number is 1-877-732-8391.
rickw

nc
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2000 7:00 am    

What does mod kit do? I have a hugh problem with electronics. Thanks Rick
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2000 5:19 am    

Rickw: In essence, the Peavey Mod kit will give you bigger low end response, better string seperation, and an overall cleaner sound. Others may describe this somewhat differently, but this is the general idea.
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2000 8:09 am    

Mike Brown
posted 31 October 2000 07:45 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Peavey steel guitar amp mod kits were researched and compiled from the outcome of extensive listening tests, noise tests and the documentation of various EQ curves. But, when it boils down to it, we chose the OPA2604 IC based on audible A/B listening tests in a live performance situation and also a lab surrounding.
True, there are multiple IC chips on the market that can retrofit and work well in place of the 4558 and 4560 IC's that we have used for years in our products. Some may be quieter in certain frequency ranges than others, but all are quality components used by the millions in electronic gear throughout the marketplace. For our mod kits, we chose the highly respected "unmasked" Burr Brown OPA2604 IC. Ever wonder if the "masked" IC chips in some kits are even "different" chips or just the same 4560's and 4558's that were installed at the factory originally?

However, the 4558 and 4560 chips work very well in circuits that we have designed in the past and can be obtained in quantities for mass production purposes.

We are now in the process of releasing the Session 500 and Profex II mod kits. These can be ordered and installed by your local Peavey service center or dealer, or through the Peavey Service department here at the factory.

We have chosen to offer the documentation to our kits at no charge to illustrate the fact that modifications are not "magic" tricks and that the parts that make up these kits do not cost an "arm and a leg". However, a minimum charge(not a maximum charge) is required in order to continue to offer them. The Vegas 400, Session 400 Limited and the Nashville 400 mod kits can be downloaded from the Peavey Electronics website at "www.peavey.com". On the menu page, select "search", then select website, then type in "steel guitarist", enter and click on the topic "steel guitarist". You will then see some of the few players with their Peavey gear. The mod kit layout and component listing is available for downloading from this page.

If you choose to send your amp chassis to the factory for mod kit installation, any necessary maintenance will be performed at this time to ensure the life of the product.

NASHVILLE 400 AMPS WITH A SERIAL NUMBER HIGHER THAN 00-08575482 HAVE THE FACTORY MODIFICATION INCORPORATED INTO THE CIRCUIT FROM THE FACTORY, THEREFORE THIS KIT IS NOT NECESSARY.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact me here at the factory. The U.S. toll free number is 1-877-732-8391. Also, if you would like to show the world a photo of you and your Peavey steel amplifier, I can be reached at the above number, or by e-mail at "mikebrown@peavey.com". You can also e-mail a short bio along with your photo.

Thanks for using Peavey products.

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 31 October 2000 at 12:40 PM.]

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2000 3:27 pm    

Mike, As a point of interest, what other ICs did you test before settling on the Burr-Brown OPA 2604? Which IC came in 'second place'? Just curious.

Bob