| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich stuff
Matt Hutchinson

London, UK
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2000 2:25 am    

Hi guys.
Simple question really, can someone explain to me what the Goodrich Matchbox does & what the differences between models is?
Thanks,
matt

------------------
Bennett S-10 (3+4)
Fender 75
Matt Hutchinson

London, UK
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 7:13 am    

Anybody?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 9:44 am    

Well, since nobody is jumping in here I'll tell you what I know. Anybody that knows more jump in any time.

The Matchbox I have, (I don't even remember which model ) is some sort of op amp buffer circuit with a tone control. The basic idea is to properly load the pickup, preventing an undesirable change of tone. I haven't reverse engineered it, but I expect that the tone control is achieved by varying some component in the op-amp feedback loop.

Seems some folks really like 'em and wouldn't be without, and others don't. I liked mine with my Sho-Bud, but didn't particularly care for it with my Emmons LeGrande (with George L E-66's).

The H10K and L10K active vol pedals seem to have some variation of the same circuit, but without the variable tone control. I like these with my Emmons, so maybe they're slightly different?

All of these circuits are powered by a 9V battery, but the op-amp is a very low-current draw part, and battery life for me is measured in months (as long as you unplug the output when you're not using them).

I'd try one before you buy if possible.

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Matt Hutchinson

London, UK
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 12:30 am    

Thanks Bill. So is the end result a 'cleaner' tone then?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 6:11 am    

Hi Matt,
I guess you could call it cleaner... less high frequency loss and a more consistent tone, regardless of vol pedal position.

The new Hilton Pedal is real popular now (and is evidently a killer vol pedal), so a lot of folks are selling off the Goodrich L10Ks and H10Ks pretty cheap, I think they're great, especially at garage sale prices...

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Matt Hutchinson

London, UK
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 8:17 am    

cheers Bill and Bill
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 8:28 am    

I have the Lawrence 710 pickups on my Franklin. I find I don't need a matchbox type device with the Lawrence 710's. However, with the old 705's the matchbox type device helped.

I tried the IQ 1200 prototype Bill had at St Louis in 1999 and I didn't like it. However he did say that if you play "country" it may not be for you.