| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Signal loss using processor
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2000 3:22 pm    

Are you using any type of buffer amp, such as the Keith Hilton Digital Sustain or a Goodrich Matchbox?

Lee, from South Texas
Kevin Walker

Roanoke,VA. UNITED STATES
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2000 5:13 pm    

Try going directly from your guitar to the DOD into amp input. Put your volume pedal in the effects patch. I don't guarantee this will work or help your problem. I've had a couple of processors that just wouldn't create enough input gain to drive the unit without breaking up.
ToneJunkie

Columbia, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2000 7:47 pm    

rayman,

Gain staging is the audio engineer's practice of optimizing amplification through various devices or various circuits within a device. Since you are hooking together a variety of audio devices, you have become an audio engineer, even if against your will.

Your mission as an audio engineer is to now maximize the level presented to the input of each audio device in your chain without overdriving (distorting) the input amplifier of each device. In other words, you want the level at each input to be as hot as possible without audio clipping. In doing this, you maximize the gain (amplification) of your audio path and you keep your signal as clean as possible (highest signal-to-noise ratio).

I am not familiar with your particular DOD processor, but many have an LED that indicates when the input signal (your guitar output signal) is clipping the input stage of the device. Adjust the input gain of the device until the LED illuminates and then back it off gradually until only the loudest transients trigger the LED.

Also, some amplifiers offer an effects loop circuit which can present a hotter, amplified level to the effects input.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

------------------
Robert Hicks - Fessenden S12U

Home Page: http://www.members.home.net/tonejunkie
Email: rhhicks@home.com

ToneJunkie

Columbia, MD, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2000 12:12 pm    

rayman,

I'm afraid I don't know which DOD processor you are using. But many such devices will supply a "volume" or "output" or "master" knob, something like that, that controls output level of the device. What box are you using?

Cheers

P.S. - Your initial post said the unit had an output gain control. That'd be the one I'd say.

------------------
Robert Hicks - Fessenden S12U

Home Page: http://www.members.home.net/tonejunkie
Email: rhhicks@home.com

[This message was edited by ToneJunkie on 29 August 2000 at 01:13 PM.]