| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Black Widows
D Jenkins

England
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2000 1:18 pm    

I've just done the deed and acquired a Transfex 212. It has Sheffield speakers in it at the moment. Would I be much better off if I had black widows in it?

------------------
Craig Allen

BEREA, KENTUCKY, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2000 5:26 pm    

YES !!! The Sheffield is voiced for trash guitar. It's voiced to give a guitar player the "old Brittish" sound.

Check with Mike Brown at Peavey, before chasnging out the speakers, but definately get a Black Widow.
D Jenkins

England
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 1:49 pm    

What d'ya reckon, Mike. I suspect what I've got is good enougth for now, but do you reckon it would make a difference
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 2:45 am    

That amp is basically a lead guitar amp and the speakers are "voiced" for lead guitar. The Peavey 1203 series of speakers are voiced (designed) for steel. The scorpions are OK, but if you want to get the best steel sound out of that amp the 1203 BW speakers are the way to go.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 4:49 am    

Jack Stoner pretty much "hits the nail on the head" with his replies. Thanks Jack and thank you for using Peavey gear. If the suggestions don't work, give me a toll free call and let's discuss. The Peavey number is 1-877-732-8391.
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 10:21 am    

Mike Brown,

I used to play an Emmons P/P thru a '77 Peavey "Artist" amp. Great combo and sound! My question: What model of 12" Black Widow speaker was used in that amp? ('Wish I still had it. ) Do you recommend or know of anyone using the "Artist" amp for steel?

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 6:22 pm    

Sorry Glenn, I don't know of anyone who is using the Peavey Artist for steel right off hand, but I'm sure that there is someone out there.

Unfortunately, I'm at home right now and will have to get back with you on Monday for the model of BW that was used in the Artist amp. Will let you know.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for using Peavey products.
Karl Nutt

Fayette City, PA U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2000 12:37 am    

I had a Peavey Artist that was factory built with a 15" Black Widow 1501. I still kick myself for getting rid of it!
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2000 5:25 am    

Here's an alternative. Replace just one of the speakers in this with a 12" BW. The 'Sheffield' speakers are pretty good, I think. They are made by Celestion, and would sound good in combination with a BW (give it a little more 'roundness'). And they are much lighter....

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2000 6:39 am    

The Artist amp was manufactured with a 12" BW and also a 15" BW. The 15" was a 1501-4ohm BW. The 12" BW was a 1203-4 ohm.

Hey D.Jenkins, the BW's would probably work real well, but it will be as heavey as a Twin with JBL's(ugh!). I suggest the 1203-8ohm BW's for this application. The Peavey item number is 00021100. Check the Peavey website under the search function to locate the nearest authorized dealer to you.

Hey Dan, thanks for your past support of Peavey products. However, the Peavey Sheffield speakers are our own brand which are manufactured in Foley, Alabama. The are designed and targeted for the Celestian series of speakers, but cost a lot less and sound equally as good. Another example of overpricing by our competiton. Where does it end?

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 27 April 2000 at 07:57 AM.]

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2000 5:05 am    

What series B.W comes in a peavey 115bx cab and are they good for steel? Thanks Double B
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2000 5:37 am    

The Peavey 115BX BW cabinet comes equipped with a 1502-4ohm BW as an option. The Scorpion speaker is standard in this cabinet.
These speakers are suited for bass guitar and keyboard applications. However, some customers have used these cabs for the low pass of their sound system.
Van Ertel

Lutherville, MD USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2000 1:14 pm    

Can anyone recommend cabinet designs that would work well with the Peavey 1203 speakers? I could make the cabinets myself if none are available commercially.

------------------
Van Ertel
Fessenden U12/Williams U12
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2000 5:23 am    

Hey, Mike, they sure fooled me!

I thought they were high power Celestions.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com