| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions for Jody Carver
Alvin Sydnor

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 3:48 pm    

Jody, here are some questions that I think many of us are interested in knowing. (1) did Fender sell some steel guitars with natural wood finish (not painted) (2) What is the status of re-opening the Fender Museum in Fullerton. (3)What is the status of your book, I sure hope you are working on it.
Thank you Jody for you participating in this forum and keeping us informed on Fender history.
Keep on pikin
Alvin
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 6:15 pm    

I've seen a few natural finished Stringmasters from the very first years they made them; and I know they were not stripped....>but Jody may know about other models and years.
Ricky
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 6:57 am    

Alvin,

If Jody does not reply right away it will not be because he is ignoring you. He and his wife, Marilyn, are going through some trying times right now due to serious illness and I doubt if he is spending much time on the Forum. He is a great guy and a walking encyclopedia regarding Fender history and products. Please be patient.

[This message was edited by Roy Ayres on 15 April 2004 at 07:58 AM.]

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 7:51 am    

Last time I was in Corona, the Fender Museum was open and doing a fine business. Are you talking about the Fender exhibit at the Fullerton museum?

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Alvin Sydnor

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 3:49 pm    

Thanks Ricky, Roy and Brad. I am so sorry to hear about the troubles Jody has I sure hope all works out for him and his family. This was the first time I had heard about it. Yes he is a fine man and I miss his input here on the forum. You can be sure My prayers are going out to him and his family.
Keep on pikin
Alvin
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2004 6:56 pm    

Alvin
Sorry I didnt reply sooner.To answer a few of your questions. I have seen a few Custom
and Dual Pro guitars manufactured with clear
finish and the grain showing. Leo McA. had a Custom made up especialy for him. I have not seen many after the few that I did.

As for the Fender Museum.I have been informed
by Richard Smith author of the book Fender The Sound Heard Round The World that the Museum had planned on closing down,that was a few months back so I dont really know what the status is a present, I wouldnt like to see that happen.

So far as my Book,I am going through a period
of writers block,there are so many things I remember and when I draft out the chapter I remember something else and go back and start
all over. That among personal issues such as my seeing that the Hot Club Of America is re-issued has taken most of my time.

I should hope to have the CD's by July and the book sometime late fall I hope.

Thank you for asking. I have a promo photo of Leon with an unfinished Custom triple that
I will e mail to you.

Thanks again. edited for spelling.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 18 April 2004 at 07:46 AM.]

Alvin Sydnor

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 5:44 pm    

Thank you Jody, you are an ace, I really appreciate your input and I am sure many appreciate your contribution to the steel guitar world. And the photo of Leon brought back many memories of when Leon spont many hours with me many years ago, he was a wonderful man. Thanks Jody and my prayers are directed to you and your family. Keep in touch,and
Keep on pikin
Alvin
Al Johnson

Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 5:58 pm    

Alvin, are you speaking of Leon McAuliffe?
Alvin Sydnor

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 6:32 pm    

Yes Al, Jody and I are speaking of Leon McAuliffe. I once saw Leon set up his tripple neck under a tent when it was pouring rain, no tune up, just started to play, he really knew his Fender. I understand he often sat down with Leo Fender and discuss steel guitars. I am sure Jody knows more about that than I. All I can say is that Leon was a wonderful man to know and talk to.
Keep on pikin
Alvin