| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New member--Barney Isaacs
Frank Miller

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2004 3:00 pm    

I have been a member for 3 mos.This my first
offering. About the Barney Isaacs- pedal guitar- topic. Barney did not play pedal at any time except the Evening in the Islands record. It was an experiment between himself and the other steel player. He did not play pedals on all cuts and I don't remember which songs he played pedal on.He did not play pedal guitar on any other recordings.
I do remember that he tuned the Fender 400steel to his C13 tuning and added just a few pedal changes. This he told me personally
Another thing, Jeff Ah Hoy in another article, mentioned that Barney used the C13 on the second neck and the E13 on the near neck. That was true only for a short period of time -less than six mos. of a long career. It was due to a problem on the particular steel guitar-Canapus-I believe, that was soon corrected.
Barney normally used on near neck C13 E-C-A-G-E-C-Bflat-C. Second neck E13 E-C#-G#-F#-D-B-G#-E(sometimes he used 4thstring E in place of the F#.)
If he used a 3 neck steel he used a standard low bass B11 on third neck E-C#-A-F#-D#-B-F#-B. This is not my guess, but directly from Barney. Barney was a close friend and is missed.
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2004 3:07 pm    

GHi Frank, this is ole C C Johnson. Glad you are on the forum. We need more hawaiian nuts like us on this forum. Best wishes CC PS I heard Red Moser passed on True?
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2004 3:30 pm    

Welcome aboard Frank!

Glad to see that you will be contributing your ideas to this group.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2004 4:46 pm    

Thanks, Frank! Barney Isaacs is one of my favorite players. Welcome to forum!

John Tipka

Reynoldsburg,OH
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2004 6:21 pm    

Welcome Frank.. Glad you finally made it here!
Millie and I will see you and Donna in Honolulu at the end of the month.

Aloha no,

John
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2004 8:40 pm    

Aloha Frank, (and Donna)...hey, great to see you on the Forum! For the rest of you, Frank is, (and was), an ardant admirer of (the late) Barney Isaacs as was I. However Frank took his admiration a step further by taking many video photos of Barney in action, analysing them and was able to copy so much of Barney's style. Frank's wife, Donna is an excellent vocalist. I agree with CC's remarks, (above) ... Great to have you on board!
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 7:47 pm    

Ah, But Barney LOVED playing his Dobro...only got the chance to record it on that one record...Hawaiian Touch (Dancing Cat)...C6...I know the engineer & producer as well as Barney's protoge Ed Punua...and George Kuo...I got a chance to listen to the masters once...you can hear the Oxygen tank in the background if you crank it..Howard said it was a bear to record...but it's all like 1 take...Barney is my steel mentor and idol...as well as most Hawaiian steel players I know...Barney was a living treasure among the Hawaiian people..the guy from Lima may be a great musician, but the Hawaiians don't speak his name...(In Puna anyway)
Mike
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 10:08 pm    

That cd with George Kuo was probably the last recording Barney ever made. He was a gem. I doubt there will be anyone to come along who can play his great style. He was a spontaneous musician who seldom played the same thing twice. I loved the guy and he sure loved his sausages !
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 12:54 am    

Barney was an inspiration to me...and I tried to assimulate his style into my own..with a few of the other greats thrown in for good measure..
Over here in the 'Colonies', it WAS quite dificult to learn steel guitar as there were virtually no live players to watch... so... we had to learn by just listening and figuring it out for ourselves...I'd say that Barney's work was at least 33% of my listening..
It's nice to have someone so familiar with his tunings etc. here on the 'Forum'

Welcome Frank !!...

Basil Henriques

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com

[This message was edited by basilh on 15 April 2004 at 01:54 AM.]

Warren Slavin

Southampton, PA, 18966. USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 10:39 am    

Welcome Frank --
Yes, the CD Hawaiian Touch, with Geo Kuo was Barney's last recording dated 1995. When Geore Kuo and Bobby Ingano came to Winchester a few years back I was talking to George about the CD and he said he and Barney made over 100 different cuts at the recording session. Only 14 songs are on the album so there must be a pile of cuts still with George Winston and Dancing Cat Records. Any of you have contacts with George Winston?

Also, another interesting point on Barney's previous CD, "E Mau - Take One", happened in the early 90's when Barney was in Joliet. Barney and I were talking in the Lobby of the old Holiday Inn about all the songs that his father composed and that there were not any current recordings on them -- there was one Family LP that was made and very little else. I said to Barney why don't you put out an album of your father's compositions. Barney thought for a moment and said that's a great idea and shook my hand. I like to think that I made the spark that resulted in the CD for our enjoyment. That album is dated 1994.
Maurie Junod

Oak Forest, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 2:46 pm    

Yes Warren, and all,

Barney is one of my heroes. I have been
playing some of those songs on"E-Mau Take One" during several of the last HSGA Joliet
conventions. Aloha Nui Ku'uipo, Tahaula,
Leimomi, Nalani,Milimili Hula, and Ku'ualoha
Maliu Mai.

I am expecting to TAB most of them out to
fill requests. I'm just about finished with another one on there called "Uina Uina".

I should have one of these to hand out free
during the upcoming Joliet convention.
Maurie
Jeff Strouse

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 4:05 pm    

The Hawaiian Touch disc is one of my favorite albums. Mr. George Winston if you can see this, oh please, oh pleeease, oh pleeeeeaaaasseee release those hundred cuts! Those of us who are die hard Barney Isaacs fans would absolutely cherish them like gold.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 10:15 pm    

Mr. Winston.....with greatest respect, I feel you owe it to everyone who loved the great Barney Isaacs to please release as many of those cuts as possible. His music deserves to be heard and appreciated, not locked up in some obscure vault.

BTW, for you Barney fans, did you ever notice the length of Barneys (round) steel bar ? It was a long buggah. Also, he always wore his finger picks so that they stuck out almost a quarter of an inch beyond his finger tips.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 11:36 am    

Hi Frank
Nice to see you are on the forum now. I heard you fixed the leg OK on your Fender.
I never got the pleasure of meeting Barney, since I arrived on the scene only a few years ago. I have some of his stuff, including Hawaiian Touch, and always enjoy his music, even if he wasn't born in LIMA.
Some guys just don't let up.
Aloha Bill
Jeff Strouse

Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 7:31 pm    

I'm curious of the "family album" Warren mentioned...is it available somewhere?
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2004 12:07 pm    

the master tapes for Hawaiian touch are in a vault at the studio Howard Johnson runs for Dancing Cat...I'm not on my own computer at this point, but if you look at the cd...the tapes are at the studio it was recorded at..HoJo has 'em...it would be illegal to release them..but if you lived near the studio..you MAY be able to hear them..
Mike