| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  studio quality reverb ?
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 1:23 am    

Sometimes I need to cut tracks wet for recording sessions. My boss se-70 doesn't make it. Mostly I don't record with reverb but sometimes it would come in handy.

Is the Lexicon LXP-1 good sounding enough for a real studio ? Any tonal difference between the LXP-5 and LXP-1 ?

I'm talking about dealing with real picky rock engeneers. They know there stuff when it comes to sounds.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 28 January 2000 at 01:50 AM.]

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 8:14 am    

IMHO all the Lexicon 'verbs are studio quality, and I am picky!
The only multi effect machine that comes near them for me is the Ensoniq DP4, though there is a similar Roland which a colleague of mine swears by.
I have worked in studios since you had to drive them by steam and teach recording and Production here in the UK.
That's what I mean by picky!

------------------
Cheers!
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 8:49 am    

LXP-1 has better reverbs than LXP-5. The -1 can do only delay or reverb, but the 5 can do some pitch-mod stuff (chorus). However, the 5 cannot be easily edited, and its chorus stuff is not very versatile. For example, the smallest pitch change is too wide for my taste sometimes.
So I say the 1 is a better deal. However I have had reliability problems with them, more than once, even after sending tmy second one back to Lexicon for repairs.

I woul dsuggest the Lexicaom MPX-100. I think it sounds beter than LXP-1. It has much better features (e.g. tap tempo, more knobs, etc). It is 10 years newer, after all, and you know how digital stuff has improved in 120 years. Besides, a new MPX-100 should be only about $250 (mine was $199) which is probably not much more than an old LXP-1 anyway.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 9:11 am    

You can't go wrong with a Lexicon. They have always had the most dense and lush sound (although the new TC M3000 is pretty mind blowing, though not cheap). I own a LOT of Lexicon gear.

I would check out the new MXP500. It is a step up from the 100, adding more editing power, plus balanced +4 inputs. Another big plus is it has an internal power supply, instead of the wallwart that the 100 has. it also has a LCD display. Also, it has S/PDIF I/O, and I know you have the hard disk system, and that would be a plus. Should be in the $500 range, though I have not heard a final price.

I am going to move my MXP100 to my small rack and add the 500 to my main rack.
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 9:38 am    

I just bought a Lexicon MPX-1 off of E-Bay. It's still in transit. Anyone have any thoughts on this thing?
Steve
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2000 9:45 am    

Have any of you guys checked out those 60's stand alone spring reverb units by Fender or Pemier ?

They are too big and impractical for most applications I guess. If I was a rich guy I would check out that Soldano Surf Box.

Can you thin out the late reflections and change the start time ( distance from attack) on the MPX 500 or 100 ? I don't like the pre set sounds on digital reverbs when they make my pick attack all soupy.

Bob