| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Wal-Mart supports traditional Country
erik

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:56 pm    

In the past 2 days I've bought a George Jones CD(they also stock his current release), Mark Chesnutt's latest, Sammy Kersahw's latest, and I also bought Tracy Bird's current release(Is he traditional? I'll find out in about 1 minute, LOL)

------------------
-johnson

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 3:22 pm    

Shouldn't that be "Wal-Mart profits from traditional country" ?

How benevolent of them.

Merry Christmas,
-John
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 3:31 pm    

George Jones is Chinese? Who knew?
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 3:50 pm    

Quote:
George Jones is Chinese? Who knew?

Po Sum On!

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 23 December 2006 at 03:51 PM.]

erik

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 4:32 pm    

The independent distributers who represent those artists choose to sell these cds to walmart. walmart doesn't have to stock them, they could very well say that because they are not mainstream they may not sell in their VERY LIMITED space dedicated to Country cds, yet they do because whoever the buyer is, he must like traditional country. You're welcome, for letting me spell it out for you.

------------------
-johnson

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 5:57 pm    

It seems so ironic to me. Wal-Mar is the flagship for human rights exploitation, the destruction of small-town America, downsizing American manufacturing by pushing cheap and disposable imports, international shipping thuggery, and is pretty much the epitome of how global corporate practices have severely hurt the working American. I tend to consider country music lovers to be a demographic in our society who generally tends to lean patriotic. The irony to me is that Wal-Mart's clientele consists largely of the people it hurts most, hard working middle America. Their friendliness toward country music is an indication of who likes to shop there. It's sort of funny to me, but more than that it's sad. I don't really blame the shoppers in general because in most small towns, there's really no where else left to shop since Wal-Mart destroyed all the local businesses. Sorry for the Wal-Mart soapbox, but their evil practices really do trigger the deeply patriotic American in me. So I guess it's true, China is a very traditional country.

Brad
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 5:57 pm    

There was a news, report about a year ago, after the looting in New Orleans.

The news report said that the one Wal-Mart, in the rough part of town that really been hit hard by looters, had nothing left in the store except all the country Cd's.

The looters had cleaned out everything, even most of the store fixtures, but they didn't touch one single country CD.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 6:11 pm    

The jewel cases from those CDs could be used to replace cracked ones. They should have taken the cases and left the discs. Now THAT would be making a statement.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 8:36 pm    

While on the subject of Walmart and country music, check out "Friends with Low Wages"!
www.walmartworkersrights.org

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 8:46 pm    

As much as I like a bargain, I stay out of Walmart as much as I can. Someone gave me a Walmart gift card this year. I gave it away.

Interesting how much they changed and how their Made In USA theme tanked so fast after Sam Walton passed.
Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 12:05 am    

What Brad and Bill said...they can do without my money.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 12:07 am    

They're open 24 hours here in Newfoundland, until Christmas. As if the "mom and pop" stores do not have it hard enough.

Don't we all hate Walmart? And don't we all (or our spouses at least) shop there? Tough cycle to break.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 2:15 am    

A US television manufacturing plant (I think in Tennessee but I'm not sure) was barely staying afloat. They then lost their most imortant contract to a Chinese plant. They appealed to whatever US govt. commission is responsible for maitaining a level playing field and protecting US trade from unfair and illegal product dumping by companies that sell cheap due to government subsidies and unfair labor practices. Walmart testified at the hearing. Against the US company, for the Chinese company.
Sam Walton is turning in his grave. Hopefully the current operators of Walmart will soon be, too. Walmart has done and is doing more harm to America than Al Qaeda in its wettest dreams.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 7:15 am    

Greg S. Po Sum On my potatoes! Wal Mart is like cigarettes - we know they're bad for us, we all hate 'em, but they're tough to quit!
erik

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 7:51 am    

My Tracy Byrd and Sammy Kershaw CDs say manufactured and distributed in th US. Are you suggesting that I only buy these CDs, where? Most people I ever met that were in manufacturing live in nice houses and retired early. Any person that can't make it in manufacturing should switch to the trade industry. The economy of the last 10 years does not reflect your concerns.

------------------
-johnson

Lynn Trimble

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 8:01 am    

Just wanted to let you know of a deal that sure got my attention as an alternative for going into the store to purchase CD's. If you think music and video downloading are going to be around for a while, and if you would like an opportunity to capitalize on that concept, then this may appeal to you. Go to www.burnlounge.com/steelynn and play the commercial at the bottom of the page. If your internet service is not quite what you need to view a video, you can call 1-212-990-7150 for a short message that explains what the whole deal is about. E-mail me at steelynn@plateautel.net and let me know what you think.
Lynn
erik

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 10:29 am    

Congratulations, 1st post, a solicitation.

------------------
-johnson

Greg Simmons

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 10:57 am    

Brad's post said it all...

Alan Jackson sang it well:

"Now they are lined up in a concrete strip
You can buy the world with just one trip
And save a penny cause it's jumbo size
They don't even realize
They'er killin' the little man
Oh the little man"
erik

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 11:44 am    

I'm the little man, I'm doing just fine.

------------------
-johnson

Greg Simmons

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 12:18 pm    

Well, good on ya, and all the best then to the little woman too! - is this a great country, or what

------------------
“Back then, everything was different, and you only saw it once; now everything’s the same and you see it over and over again"
-Peter Case

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 2:03 pm    

Quote:
Shouldn't that be "Wal-Mart profits from traditional country" ?

Isn't making a profit the goal of any business? At least that's my understanding of things.

I'm not sure why all the bashing of Walmart. Nobody's forcing anyone to shop at Walmart. Nobody's is forcing anyone to work at Walmart. If people don't like working at Walmart then DON'T WORK THERE!! If you don't like shopping at Walmart DON'T SHOP THERE!!

Walmart sells the same stuff almost every other store sells.

It's obvious that Walmart knows how to run a retail business. And the best thing about Walmart? They learned how to run a retail business better than anyone else WITHOUT any government handouts, and IN SPITE OF all the EEO bullcrap, and all the two-faced morons who scream and holler every time Walmart wants to build a new store, but then complain about higher taxes. Just me two cents.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 5:19 pm    

That's not realistic, Tom.

Most folks don't have options, at least not that they can afford. And Wal-Mart can charge less because they force companies that do business with them to agree not to sell products to other companies for the price they buy at. They kill all the local competition by centering themselves in low income areas where their clientele have little choice but to go where things are cheap, then when they kill off the competitors they jack 'em up again. And, since Sam W died, they do it with import goods which weakens the US economy further. That's not business, it's domination.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 8:13 pm    

The Great Wal of China Mart.
Greg Simmons

Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 9:20 pm    

Something to read while you're sippin' eggnog...

http://walmartwatch.com/issues/supplier_relationships/

[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 24 December 2006 at 09:48 PM.]

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2006 3:56 am    

The television manufacturing plant was in my fair hometown of Greeneville, TN. In this particular case Walmart had to get line behind Phillips corp. to screw the community. I thought everyone had seen the anti- walmart movie www.walmartmovie.com/ "The High Cost Of Low Price". If your interested in seeing the above mentioned movie check google video.