| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Duane Allman Bio
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:14 pm    

A new book just came out called "Skydog - The Duane Allman Story". I was interviewed by the author because I knew Duane and I along w/many others including my buddy Billy Gibbons am quoted in the book. I just got my copy from the author,Randy Poe at a book signing the other night in Hollywood and it's a must read if you're a fan of Duane. Here's a blurb in the Nashville Tenneseean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612170316
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 2:24 pm    

Thanks, Michael. Duane Allman is an all-time favorite of mine. I read an excerpt in "Hitting the Note," and I can't wait to read the book. I read somewhere that the Allman's were the basis for the band in the movie "Almost Famous." Do you have any (printable)) good Duane stories?
Chuck
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 8:43 pm    

There's a couple in the book from the early 60s when I first met Duane at CHMA and some of my ruminations about his musicianship and personality. I also had contact with Duane from the late 60s right up till about 4 months before he died in Oct 71 and had a few stories full of mayhem and debauchery I related to Randy which he didn't use for his book. Perhaps that was because they were "colorful" but probably because he had a lot of other source material from that time and precious little apart from me from 63-64 military school days in Nashville.
-MJ-
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 8:16 am    

Great! I am a big Duane fan also.
I really like to get that Berry Oakly bass thing happening,
so in tune to Duane and the blues.

Almost Famous, what a thought that this is the
remembered reality behind such great music.

I would love to hear some of these fly on the wall stories!
Doyle Weigold

CColumbia City, IN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 12:49 pm    

Michael, I know this is a little off topic, but do you remember a guy by the name of Buford Smith. He drove bus for the Allmans. Doyle
Bob Smith

Allentown, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 4:02 pm    

What did "Skydog" mean? I always wondered.Maybe i better get the book!! I put fishing sinkers on the turntable to learn Duanes licks. bob
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2006 4:26 pm    

I love Duane's work. I also loved the film Almost Famous. I know absolutely nothing about Duane or about the culture of the band. It never would have occurred to me that there was any reference. Especially since the film seemed to chronicle a sort of second tier band. I'd be most interested to know if this connection is true.
I sometimes play (steel) along with Live at the Fillmore just to work on overdrive tone and to get a good rockin blues workout. As with any good artist, his playing always throws me for a few loops---such a good sense of playing the right notes & phrases, above & beyond standard licks.
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2006 10:06 am    

have you heard him on some of the Muscle Shoals sessions?, there's some killer playing on Boz Scaggs debut LP from '69, Boz was one blue eyed soul singer back then.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2006 12:47 pm    

Wilson Pickett named him Skydog.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2006 2:36 am    

i remember readin in the musik gossip rags ( rolling stone)that Duane was influenced by Jesse Ed Davis slide on Statesboro blues
No wonder Clapton hooked up w: these two
Duane's session work at Muscle shoals for Aretha got my attention

i was lucky to catch the Allmans in Virginia Beach not too long before Duane left us

Great Times, Great Musik

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 26 December 2006 at 09:49 AM.]

Mark Lind-Hanson

Menlo Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2006 8:17 am    

I have read the book and HIGHLY reccommend it. Like the blurb on the jacket says, it's "long overdue and well-deserved."
Or words to that effect.
Dave Brophy

Miami FL
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2006 9:24 am    

Jon,
Cameron Crowe, who wrote and directed Almost Famous, actually started as a teenage writer who got hired by Rolling Stone, as depicted in the movie. I think his first assignment was the Allman Brothers. He travelled with them and wrote a story. They were an up and coming band in 1970 -71. To that extent, the movie band is based on them.
But that's about it. It's a work of fiction, and he covered plenty of other rock bands. As in most works of fiction,(in my opinion) the characters and stories are amalgamations of real people and events, the imagination, and poetic license.
I would however, like to know the story behind the scene where the guitar player was tripping on the roof at the swimming pool party.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2006 9:56 am    

Crowbear - I believe the last time Duane played Virginia Beach was about 4 months before he died and the gig was at the Va Beach Dome.I lived in Va Beach in those days and was there that night back stage hanging with Duane. That was the last time I saw Duane alive. -MJ-
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2006 11:27 am    

Thanks Dave. That guy on the roof---uh, that may have been me.