| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Harmos Guitars
Mike Marchelya

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2004 6:42 pm    

Anyone have any comments about Harmos guitars? Note... I've searched the forums and have read the earlier responses; just wondering if there are any new Harmos owners/players out there, or if anyone has any further observations after playing theirs for a while. Thanks.
Otto Anshus

Plainsboro, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2004 4:38 pm    

I am a new owner (and list member, glad to be here! ) of a 2004 Harmos Americana 8-string.

Presently, I keep it tuned to C6. I have limited (to put it mildly) experience with proper lap steel guitars, and I can not compare the Harmos to other implementations of the steel guitar. However, I have played bottleneck guitar for 30 (sigh) years. I felt at home at once on the Harmos.

The Harmos has a wide range of sounds, and I can easily go from a Dobro style of playing/sound, to screaming lead guitar, to more traditional steel sounds.

The Harmos vibrates a lot, and you can feel it dancing. If I place it on a table, I can play it acoustically Still, it has long sustain times.

It is oh so light (but rigid). I can just tuck it under my arm in its gig bag, and it is easily a carry-on, even together with other bags (or even a Calton guitar case! ).

The string spacing on the 8-string is perfect for me. I tried the 6-string, and it was OK, but the narrower 8-string spacing turned out to be just right.

I am very happy with my Harmos, and I am having a ball playing screaming lead guitar on it. However, I know, I really must start to play proper steel guitar soon, and I am working hard at it