| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String change on classical guitar
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 11:55 am    

If this is not the best spot for this post, please move it to where it belongs....
I need to change the strings on my Accoustic electric classical guitar. I have developed arthritis pretty bad, and was wondering if you guys have any advice, or a simple short cut as to how to tie the strings. Music stores around here want $20 just to put them on, ON TOP of the price of the strings! what brand of classical guitar strings do most of you steel/guitar players use?
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 12:45 pm    

Click here to see what I use. I know NOTHING about this type of strings. I do know that the strings that came on my nylon guitar were so bad they threw the intonation way off. When I put the D-Addario's on the intonation was near perfect. It took me over and hour to change the strings as I had no idea how to do it in the beginning. It is quite a chore. Maybe the closeup pic on my site will help you see how they are strung. I used a site like this one to get it done. I also ran a length of the top 4 strings in behind the adjacent strings to further prevent slipping. My playing still sucks but they are cool sounding guitars.

Greg

[This message was edited by Greg Cutshaw on 16 November 2006 at 12:47 PM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 1:02 pm    

When you are tying the strings at the bridge, make sure the loop is completely behind the bridge or the strings can slip. Also be sure and tie the string in a single knot at the tuners. It takes a little practice but it does get easier. After 40 yrs I've got it down to only twice as long as it takes to change steel strings.
Richard
George Redmon

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 1:05 pm    

oh..i know how to change them.,.just cain't get the fingers to do it anymore. I heard there was suppose to be a easier way to restring, that takes only one loop on the end?
Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 2:48 pm    

Maybe these would be easier:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=daddario+folk+nylons
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 3:54 pm    

I'm with Larry, use the ball end strings. I hate changing nylon strings, it take about a month to get all the stretch out so they'll stay in tune halfway decent.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

George Redmon

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 5:09 pm    

these will work with the existing bridge and saddle of my classical guitar right? and they are the same as the strings i have on there now except they have the ball ends?
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 8:00 pm    

Yes they will work with a standard classical bridge and saddle. They feed through the bridge like steel strings would through a Gibson style stop tailpiece.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 11:23 pm    

The ball ends will do if you are not obsessed with tone. They never seem to sound quite as good as the traditional string looped at the bridge. There is something about the string wrapping around the bridge that generates better tone. But for playing at home, the ball ends will do fine.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2006 6:02 am    

I never liked ball end strings on my classical. It's not electric, so the difference for you might not be as great.

Here's some good instruction with pix: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classics tr1.html

Note:
Be sure final loop passes "around the corner" of the back of the bridge, otherwise it can slip when brought to pitch.

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 17 November 2006 at 06:08 AM.]

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2006 3:52 pm    

I never really played a nylon string guitar with the ball end strings. I bought one once that had them on it, but it needed some work, so I took them off before I even played it. I put on a new set of conventional nylons when I put it back together.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

George Redmon

Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 5:20 pm    

Thanks guys for all your help, very much appreciated. I will more then likely go with the ball ends .
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2006 6:53 pm    

What Joey and others said about the loop.

Savarez Rouge. (Red). Best there is. Plain third.

If it is an older guitar "high tension" is a recipe for neck warpage.

EJL