| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Roy's tuning...?
Dwayne Martineau

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 9:40 pm    

Does anybody know what tuning Jimmy Roy uses? Maybe the Vancouver forumites?

Specifically, the tuning he was using when he recorded the sublime "Hole in the Wall" song on the Ray Condo & His Hardrock Goners record "Come On." He's got a whole mess of great ideas in there I'd like to rip off...I mean, learn.

I think he played a single-neck Stringmaster 8 at the time. He's been playing with Big Sandy & His Fly-Rite Boys recently, but I don't know if he's changed tunings or anything.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 10:00 pm    

Wish I could help with the info you seek. But it was good to hear a mention of Jimmy Roy, he's a tasty player. I was lucky to catch him on the CBS Early Show a few years back with Condo, and he kicked. Good luck with the tuning info, I'll be watching for it too.
Mark Switzer

Los Angeles California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2004 3:31 am    

I met Jimmy Roy a year or so back. He was playing the old 8-string double neck Sho-Bud that`s pictured on the cover of the latest Big Sandy CD. If I remember correctly (don`t count on it) he said the tunings were C6 and an E9 with a low (bass guitar) A on the bottom. Mark
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2004 6:26 am    

Mark's right, Jimmy's playing the old Sho-Bud, but he's using an E13 on the top neck with a couple of pedals that give it a little E9 flavor. Sorry I don't know which E13th but I think he said he had a 3rd on top. I heard a lot of E13th on Ray Condo's "Swing Brother Swing" CD, but I haven't heard "Come On". My guess would be E13. Check Brad's Pages of Steel for some different versions of this tuning. I'm sure you'll find one you like.
Dwayne Martineau

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2004 9:46 am    

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I was thinking it was *some* kind of E13. He had a 3rd on top? Rats, sounds like another re-stringing is in order.

There were a few years there where Ray was crossing the country non-stop (Canada, that is), so I got to see him quite a few times. Jimmy was touring with a single Stringmaster-8 (this was a while ago) and I remember him not even using a volume pedal during a show at the Sidetrack Cafe--all hands, nothing else.

That "Come On" record is from 1994. I think of all the Ray Condo albums, this one comes closest to capturing the dizzying energy and wry wit of this band of madmen.

Jimmy Roy pops in on about 1/2 the tracks and turns it from raucous rockabilly into aggressive, manic swing.

If I only had 4,000 copies of that record, I'd send you all one.
Lee Jeffriess

Vallejo California
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 9:17 pm    

Im pretty sure, Jimmys using C6 and the Mcauliffe 13, with the Bud isaacs, changes.
lee