| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian Amplifier
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 9:52 am    

I'm placing this here in "No Peddlers" instead of "Electronics" for the possibility of getting more responses from those who play Hawaiian music:

Does anyone use a Fender Vibrolux Reverb (40 watt tube, with two 10" Jensen speakers, solid state rectifier) for Hawaiian music on a Fender steel guitar? I have not heard the amplifier; but it would seem to be a good match for the thinly wound pickups of my Fender Dual Eight Pro. Plus, the amp. weighs only 46 pounds.

I'm now playing this guitar through my Webb (225 watts, 4 ohm 15" JBL); and it seems akin to putting a Chrysler hemi. in a Mini Cooper. Although I can get an "acceptable" tone through this amp, it's more difficult than it is with the pedal guitar.

The Vibrolux is discounted new to $999. Any other suggestions for a good Hawaiian music amp. is appreciated.

I believe I am totally aware of the "playing techique/tone" relationship.

Many thanks, Rick
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 10:16 am    

That's a lot of $ to spend, especially when you can get something at least as good and match up with your guitar for a lot less(unless $ is no matter). But no doubt the 2/10 Vibe will sound quite fine paired with your 2x8 Pro, as Fender's generally love each other. Unless VOLUME is what you really need, and tone may be more appreciated, I'd look for small/old amps, as they(for the most part) have it in spades when it comes to steel. Good luck, and have too much fun!
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 10:28 am    

Jerry Byrd once used a Fender Vibro-reverb, I believe it was, and its specifics are mentioned on his "guitars" page at: www.jerrybyrdfanclub.com I'm under the impression tho', that it was a 15 inch spkr., as was his M-15 Rickenbacher amp.

I'm having sensational luck with my new, 1965 Epiphone Electra 10 inch......amp. It is sounding absolutely phenominal with at least the first half of my Ricks that I've had time to play thro' it.

Then again, my lil' 1940-41 Harmony really sounds super for Hawaiian music....with its small 8 inch speaker and my Ricks.

It depends on one's ear, I'd guess.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 10:49 am    

I have used this amp in the past and been quite satisfied with it, but it was an early 70s silverface model, not the current reissue.
My silverface Deluxe Reverb works really well for this kind of music when I attempt to play it. For more rockin' stuff, I prefer my Fender Pro Junior.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 12:53 pm    

Sounds like you are referring to the "Custom Vibrolux Reverb" amp (blackface cosmetics, creme color knobs). This is a recent design (not a reissue of a vintage blackface Fender amp)so you really can't compare to an old Vibrolux Reverb.

From what I've seen written up on this amp in the Fender forum, it doesn't have a lot of clean headroom and lots of people complain that it hisses (there are various ideas about fixes for the latter).

Definetely try before you buy.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 1:39 pm    

For that kind of money I would not buy without trying it, or without some kind of fully guaranteed trial period. I think Guitar Center will let you return it within 30 days if you don't like it. For Hawaiian music I don't need a lot of power, and not much in the way of effects, so 40 watts is probably fine, and if you're playing with a typical acoustic Hawaiian combo, or solo, you could get by with even less watts, like a Blues Junior. Personally I would look for a vintage, all-tube, point-to-point wired amp. Cool vibe, great authentic sound and way cheaper.
Michael Devito

Montclair, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2004 5:22 am    

Rick:

I've spent time with an original blackface vibrolux reverb, and just tried out two steel guitars ('52 dual pro with the direct contact p/u, and a late '40s bakelite Rick 7-string) through a new reissue of that amp.

As with other Fender reissues, I'd pass. The RI VR had an awful, hissy reverb, and an overall sterile sound. The originals are something totally different. Magnificent amps, but pricey. I've owned and played other Fender RI amps. If you're willing to swap out speakers and reverb, they can work. But I'd hold out for the original.

I'll put a vote in for the Super Reverb. It's the same amp section as a Vibrolux, but with 4 10s. They sound very much the same to me, though the super has a deeper, more cavernous sound to my ears courtesy of the 4 speakers. I've got a '64 blackface w/original speakers, 5881 tubes installed for a little earlier breakup, normal channel converted to master volume so I can drive the tubes harder without blowing out eardrums. This amp is ungodly good. It's so good, I hardly ever play my BF Deluxe Reverb, which itself is a desert-island amp classic.

The SR can do clean very well, even better with the stock 6L6 tubes. For real heavy stage volume, a Twin or comparable 100 watt range amp would be better for clean sounds. I do play loud, and I do like a slight distortion edge at higher volumes. All my steels -- '39 Gibson EH-185 with the C. Christian p/u, Rick Academy and Stringmaster -- sound so good through this amp. Especially the Gibson. The notes float and fatten up, right on the edge of feedback but not going over. And the bass string roar through this amp!

You can find silverface versions at quasi-reasonable prices.
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2004 9:25 am    

All good points. I have a reissue Deluxe Reverb, and if I had to do it over again, I would not buy a reissue. The reissue amps use printed circuit board construction, the older amps were wired point to point. PCBs are very difficult to work on, whereas the PTPs are easy. I know a lot of great techs that won't even touch a Fender PCB amp. Too much trouble, too prone to breakage etc. I've wanted to make some minor mods to my Reissue but the techs I trust won't touch 'em.