| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SIDE BY SIDE comparison of playing sounds
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 10:21 am    

Like many of you, I'd have to imagine, I've chased the devil in trying to find that "elusive TONE" thing.
From guitar to guitar, one brand of strings to another...... I've finally acquired now, my 5th amp! Ten years ago I'd never even have thought of having more than two amps (required for stereo, of course).
Last night I played one guitar thro each of these systems, no processor in between, and recorded it. The EAR comparison was rather astounding, to me. The two oldest and smallest tube amps delivered the most obvious and "sweetest" sounding melodies.
I'm sure many of you have tried this years ago. Being a slow learner, I just got around to it. Has anyone else tried it? I found it to be a real experience. How about YOU?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 10:41 am    

I certainly found what I need to get the tone I want:
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 11:16 am    

Mike:

Please come to this year's HSGA convention in Joliet and be sure to bring those 3 amps in the front row! :-)

Bill
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 11:57 am    

How well I recall that middle Epiphone amp and the Gibson amp...They had a very warm tone. Problem with me, when transistors made the scene, I figured those old tube amps were "out of style" and sold them both! STOOOOOPID!
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 1:07 pm    

Quote:
The two oldest and smallest tube amps delivered the most obvious and "sweetest" sounding melodies.
For recording, I want a low power amp and a speaker that's made for a low power amp.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 1:21 pm    

I've got to have power for live shows, hence my need for a Twin Reverb. I have to be extremely careful to dial in the correct settings to get good sound.

Seems with the older amps great tone was built in. My 50's Magnatone Varsity Deluxe has tone and volume controls. That's it! It delivers the sweetest warmest tone at almost any setting on the dial. Flexibility may be overrated. Just seems you didn't have to fight the older gear so much to get great tone.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 3:48 pm    

The only negative thing about many of the older tube amps was their tendancy towards distortion if cranked too high. Strange how the music world has changed since the olde days...we were always looking for a "clean" amp, (no distortion), whereas the younger (rock) generation go to great expense trying to find gizzmos to create distortion!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 4:04 pm    

Not true for me--I just don't like to play too loudly anymore. If I can turn it down and still get that sweet tube sound, then everyone will be happier. All I want to do is sound like Dick McIntire and Andy Iona anyway.

[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 23 February 2004 at 04:04 PM.]

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 4:02 pm    

Hey there "Keoki"....you gotta be careful when making ANY reference to those R & R-ers, distortion, etc. After all, they ARE America's favorite music including today's country........so I've been told.
What with all of these 1,000 watt and more, PA sets, why does ANYONE need a high powered amplifier anyway? Just mike it......eh?
These "warm" and "fuzzy" little "practice amps" used to be the main line in such places as the Ryman Auditorium, Renfro Valley Barn Dance, Louisiana Hayride, etc.
Being small and light weight was no handicap then............ It just takes longer for them to warm up so you can hit that first note.
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2004 7:13 pm    

I get the best tone from that little English one (bottom right) ...

But boy does it squeal when you first plug in

I got that little 15W Behringer Modeling Amp for Christmas ... its real

------------------

www.horseshoemagnets.com

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 25 February 2004 at 07:23 PM.]

Gary Slabaugh

Scottsdale, AZ
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2004 8:24 am    

My playing suddenly improved when I bought a Fender Vibro Champ tube. Not only did it have that warm tube sound but it did not have the harsh sound of the pick (especially harmonics) as the solid state amp.