| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  From bad to worse again for Hawaiian steel?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2004 6:43 pm    

After decades of building momentum towards bringing the steel guitar in Hawaii once again to some kind of prominence(thanx to many, including George Lake, Jerry Byrd, the HSGA, and more) it seems it'll be having a bit of a setback. From what I understand, the yearly HSGA steel show/program at the Ala Wai clubhouse will not be happening this year, and may be relegated to a bi-annual event coinsiding with the steel convention, due to logistics(?). If true, this is rather disheartening(to say the least), as major promotion for the instrument has been 'less than adequate' all along, and for steel lovers, no steel equals no fun. While there has indeed been an influx of steel guitar representation on Hawaii based/styled CDs for a while, it may have been losing ground lately when it comes to general knowledge/acceptance by the non playing public, as well as the youngsters of whom it is dependant on to survive in times to come. Instead of receding farther into the background, as this move would take it, I've long thot it neccessary to have many more shows/programs/seminars/school assemblies/etc. showcasing the steel throughout Oahu and the other islands. Nowadays, it can't compete with the uke/accoustic/rhythmic programs and such popular today, due to it's inherant complexities and simply being a harder to learn instrument. Plus the fact that it's considered old fashioned, especially the tri cone style, make it a perenial underdog. Which makes it essential to force feed the masses until they 'get it' once more. I have a hard time fully understanding why this has been basically a loosing battle in it's own home state, and feel a major resurgence is needed by those whose acclaimed duty it is to keep it alive(and I don't mean just comatose). I'd like to hear from HSGA brass/other groups/whomever may know, exactly what the state of affairs is towards the immediate and long range promotion of the steel guitar locally. I know everybody's hearts are very much in the right place, and the HSGA being a volunteer effort makes it all the more difficult, but from what I've seen the last few years, and heard lately, it has not been completly hopeful. Any positive feedback towards an understanding of the problems and/or solutions towards having a steel happy state again, is very welcomed.
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2004 7:44 pm    

Ron, you have a very good point. It just seems that everything in the world is changing to where folks don't seem to have the time, are not as interested or committed, or what have you. And it's with the small things as well as the large. We used to write friends and send talk and music tapes which we all had time to record and time to listen. It must be the email, the internet, the hundreds of cable channels on TV, cellphones, and all the other gadgetry out there.

While I know we can't live in the past, we just seem to be spinning our wheels in many things, and the world doesn't seem to be any better for it.

I know the HSGA is a volunter organization, but I dropped out last year, when I couldn't get Tom What's-His-Name the president, to have the courtesy of responding to a request and two follow-ups. I had belonged to it for many years. But again, people are too involved with a multitude of things.

That's my opinion anyway.

Geo
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2004 10:41 pm    

Ron...to mention my name in the same breath as that of Jerry is an somewhat of an exageration as Jerry has accomplished far more for the HSGA than I could ever hope to do, or have the time and energy. I think my friend Geo. Rout may have hit a few good points on the head...times are a-changing. Whom do you know today in Hawai'i who has the time and energy to devote to the club as in yesteryears, (pre-computer, e-mail, et al) ? It seems the enthusiasm is dwindling year by year. I doubt any "hero" will step up to the plate and do something about it.
Another thought, the cost of flying to Hawai'i has increased considerably, Hawai'i has become a VERY expensive place to visit when compared with other tropical resorts such as Cancun in Mexico. Also heavy air security measures make any decision to pack along a guitar deemed to be impractical.
Then again, perhaps the whole concept of the HSGA is becomming redundant in the 21st century ? Sure hope not. I wish I had the answers.
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 7:34 am    

The HSGA is a non-profit volunteer run organization. Anyone reading this posting is more than welcome and encouraged to become part of our organization. If you would like to keep the Hawaiian Steel Guitar from “sinking into oblivion” you can help by joining and volunteering. The few people that keep the HSGA running do very much with very few resources.

Yes, we would definitely like to see our membership roster grow but more so we would like to see an active membership, a membership that contributes, is involved and is willing to volunteer. Everyone has skills. Everyone is encouraged to participate.

Everything the HSGA produces is produced through the efforts of volunteers.
An example of an HSGA event that is produced by a handful (a very small handful) of volunteers is the annual HSGA Joliet, Illinois Convention.

* The professional level sound system is donated. The engineers who man it ten hours a day for four days volunteer their time and expertise.

* The professional level amplifiers on stage are donated by members, not rented.

* The videotaping and still photography of each and every act is a single volunteered effort.

* The musicians and dancers at the Saturday night luau donate their time.

* Designing and printing the program, nametags, sign-up sheets, maps, etc., volunteered.

* Working the registration desk 10 hours a day, volunteered.

* Organizing the playing schedule, volunteered.

* Processing the registration forms and handling money, volunteered.

* Decorating the convention room for the convention and the luau, volunteered.

* Meeting with the Holiday Inn to secure the block of rooms and meeting halls, volunteered.

* Meeting with the caterer to plan the food and drink portion of the Saturday night luau, volunteered.

* Contacting the media (newspaper, radio etc) for pre-promotion, volunteered.

* The people who conduct the free dance, steel guitar, ukulele and standard guitar workshops (with free printed handouts) do so free of charge.

* The vendors displaying guitars and accessories, volunteered.

* All fund raising raffle items are donated.

* Arranging air and travel itineraries for the guest of honor, volunteered.

I’m sure I’ve left out many more volunteer efforts in the above list, my apologies.

Here are a few areas where the HSGA could use your help:
1. A person with expertise in grant writing. This person would petition state and national arts and cultural organizations for the funds needed to produce Hawaiian steel guitar events in Hawaii and on the mainland.

2. A graphic artist adept at web design. The current HSGA website is underutilized. We are only using about 5% of its capacity and capability. We’d like to add free steel guitar lessons, audio clips, video clips and photo galleries.

Tell us what you want to see and hear and then help us by donating these items.
Once your suggestions are made we need your donations and submissions. Send in your audio clips. Send in your photos. Send in your articles.

Remember, the HSGA is not a commercial company. We don’t hire people to run the show. We/you are the show. Get involved, it feels good.

Gerald Ross
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 18 February 2004 at 12:38 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 1:31 pm    

Gerald ... as one of the the HSGA 'original' Board of Directors alumni, I heartily concure with everything you have stated (above). The 'torch' must be passed to the younger generation of steel guitarists if the HSGA is expected to survive. If the HSGA to is to carry-on, (hopefully it will), younger blood must step up to the plate and volunteer their services. Otherwise, as with so many huge organizations, department stores, etc., whom we have known as so-called "lasting institutions" (i.e. Woolworths, et al), and are no longer around today, the HSGA could meet a similar fate. The HSGA is a great organization and has come a long way since its inception some 25 years ago.
If anyone is unaware of what the HSGA is all about, please go to the HSGA website. New and younger members (read: 'new blood'), willing volunteers is the only solution to keep this fine club devoted to the Hawaiian Steel Guitar alive and active as stated in Gerald's thread.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 1:34 pm    

Keoki, you deserve every credit offered, and more. Without your efforts, we whould have been much worse off. Mahalo!

One problem concerning HSGA is now glaringly obvious to me, that simple, courtious communication is not a priority. As George Rout has stated, and others have mentioned to me, I too have E'd K. Tom in the past with congratulations, concerns, suggestions, and offers, only to be ignored. That kind of silence sez a lot.

Gerald, I appreciate your listings of good deeds done annually by the HSGA/+ volunteer's. Without their help, we would have nothing. However, even with all they do, if things in Hawaii continue in the downhill manner that I've witnessed the last # of years, we will indeed have nothing of which to base a continuing foundation towards promoting the Hawaiian steel guitar, and all these decades of effort and gain will be for naught. It's great to know that in Joliet, things are better than what we here are experiencing. And, this thread IS about the Hawaii show. I wish we still had flowers and hula dancers gracing our stage, not to mention a luau(!), vendors, displays. Why aren't videos/pix of previous shows/performers put out on display for purchase? Seems like potential $ down the drain. Your 2 suggestions/pleas for help, hopefully will be headed soon, and covered completely. But it leaves me wondering what has been happening all these years if those two important areas are still void of attention. I would have thot the grants and State assistance could have been in the bag a long time ago with all the 'names' under the HSGA umbrella. I know the City was involved to some degree over the years, are they still?

As I've heard, low attendence is one reason for the unfortunate loss of this year's show at the Ala Wai clubhouse(or where ever it may have been schedualed to be). I can fully attest to the fact that there have been fewer people at the show's in recent years, and I can relate some reasons for this. Besides the serious lack of public notice in any form of media to announce the event(s), the main reason for less attendees each year is that the shows now pretty much suck. I all too often have heard remarks as "this hurts", or moaning/groaning as someone struggles thru tune after tune, and watch as people flee in misery. There has been way to much focus on propping up younger players, and some players with years under their belts, in front of an audience, who are just not ready for prime time. The Ala Wai event is the main showcase for steel exposure in Hawaii. This means putting your very best in the limelight. If the steel is not played VERY well, it sounds bad. These shows cannot be used for getting unseasoned players experience in front of a crowd. To make matters worse, those whom can't yet cut the mustard get prompted by show personel to extend their set with another tune or more, while the few truly fine players are limited to 2 or 3 #s, as the crowd shouts repeatedly for hana hou's(encores) only to be rebuffed, and the steelers hustled off the stage to be replaced by yet another unskilled player. Shows of the now distant past have always finished up with an all star jam, big thank you's, and info as to where the next displays of steel could be found. Not so anymore. The shows now fizzle out to unannounced endings, leaving the audience to look around asking, "is that it?"/"is it over?". NOT GOOD. And what ever happened to Harry B. Soria, the excellent MC, or any qualified MC? Another odd thing, why do we now, for the last 2 years have a 'warm up' group sucking up valuable time at the beginning of the program, that includes NO STEEL GUITAR(!?) This seems like a slap in the face to the finest back up band(of volunteers) that always includes the best singer in Hawaii on uke or bass, Gary Aiko. If quality time is so short as to severely limit stage time to the best performers, then dump the warm up and get on with it! Here's another point that bugs me, for over a decade now, not one 'name' player from the mainland has been on stage to present the local crowd their takes on Hawaiian music, which they love to do. Herb Remmington was the last, many years ago, and no one since. The old shows(mainly when overseen/produced by Jerry Byrd) were packed with real talent from all over the globe, and a great time was had by all, absolutely spectacular. Even the audience was star studded, from Alvino Rey to you name 'em, all because it was THE place to be. But no more, not for a long time. We've let a golden opportunity slip thru our fingers, and it seems unnecessarily so.

I could continue the horror stories, but the point is, the blood loss has to be stemmed immediately. To be loosing ground as we are in our own back yard is shameful. Times may be changing, but for steel guitar, it ought to be for the better, as there is NO legitimate reason why not!

Again, ANY help put forth to assess the problems and change the tide, to get Hawaiian steel back on the map for good, is more than appreciated. I have many, and have proffered some of them before, but ears have to be open by those entrenched in the battle lines if things have a chance to be bettered by any of us on this matter.

[This message was edited by Ron Whitfield on 18 February 2004 at 05:18 PM.]

JOZEF SMITH

WESTMINSTER - CA - USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 2:11 pm    

I was once a member a few years ago. After a year being a member and attending the HSGA event in Hawaii, I came to the conclusion that only those that are members for a few years are getting the attention from the organization. I expected that the "Club" would introduce and welcome the new members,
but they did not. As a new member I felt that the "Club" did not care. But I still had a great time and met a few of the best steel guitar players in Hawaii and the one and only J.Bird. I hope that the HSGA will last forever and be able to do what it has been doing sofar. "Keep on Steelin"
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 3:15 pm    

Seems to me the present HSGA Board of Directors should take heed of the above remarks, especially those of Ron Whitfield who is right there on the scene in Hawai'i. When a business firm ignores correspondances and/or patrons, it will soon find itself out of business. Common business sense should dictate that E-mail, snail mail, (complimentary or otherwise), should NEVER be ignored at any time for any reason. This can only lead to ill-will and eventual structural failure.
Sadly, not only Geo. Rout and Ron experienced this 'non-reply' syndrome, I too had it happen to me. Makes one wonder how many others may have had the same experience ? I came very close to packing it in about 18 months ago, but decided to renew my HSGA membership as I sincerely believe in what the HSGA is endeavoring to accomplish.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 3:25 pm    

My love of Hawaiian music goes way back. My chance to record on an authentic Hawaiian CD one year ago.....was truly one of the biggest events in my life.
When I was all hot to join the HSGA... some kind of disagreement started up and I started getting long, rambling letters from someone I didn't know, complaining how they had been thrown out and ignored by the new officers, and/or whatever. There was much two way controversary at that time, and I just said "forget it".
Since then, any number of fine people have offered to send me applications and all, but
I never see or hear anything about the group so, I've never done any time consuming homework to try and find WHO they really are.
The wife and I were considering the long drive back to Joliet one year but then again, if it's a "cold" reception one gets, it would hardly be worth my time or expense to make such a journey.
In St.Louis, one tends to see the same BIG NAMES year after year. Other worthy shows, turn the event into talent shows. Too bad they don't have an event where accomplished players could mingle around and sit-in in various groups that are simply jamming in this hotel room or that. A good way to meet new folks and to get a mix of playing that might otherwise never have occurred during one's lifetime in their own home town.
Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 3:49 pm    

REMOVED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 28 Feb 2011 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 6:48 pm    

I haven't been to the Hawaii event, but went to Joliet in 2000 and 2002 and will tell you that I, a "nobody" was welcomed with open arms by all there. I am a lot younger than the average HSGA'er (and I'm 50!) , but I never felt any age discrimination or anything like that. In fact, I was repeatedly asked to join others for meals and met some wonderful people. They were also very very supportive and encouraging of my playing. I had a wonderful time jamming each night until the wee hours (one was an all-nighter!) with some really great players (John Ely, Duke Ching, Alan Akaka to name but a few) and learned so much during my time there. I've made some wonderful friends (some of who post on this Forum regularly) and acquantances as a result of the HSGA and look forward to going back the first chance I get (looks like 2004 is lining up well for me).

If you play steel guitar (especially Hawaiian, but not restricted to that genre), this event is a total blast. i HIGHLY encourage you to make it, and promise I'll buy you a drink AND back you up on your favorite tunes.

How's that sound?

Aloha, and I hope to see some new Forumite's in Joliet in 2004

Bill

PS Many mahalos to all those that contribute their considerable time and energy to the HSGA. Believe me, their hearts are in the right place.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 6:53 pm    

Bill, you got every bit of that right on the money. I hope you can make it to Hawaii soon and have more of the same, if not better!
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 8:07 pm    

Quoting Ray..."Too bad they don't have an event where accomplished players could mingle around and sit-in in various groups that are simply jamming in this hotel room or that."....

Ray, with great friendship and respect, I must advise you that, had you made the drive to Joliet that year, you would have been very pleasently surprised! Bill Leff hit it on the nose, (above)!!! I've been there 3 times, (many years ago), and each was an experience to be remembered. I owe my meeting of a great friend, (Bill Stafford) to one such a hotel jam session just as you described. Can you imagine this scene: Bill Stafford, Barney Isaacs, Norm English and myself in a fantastic jam session at the Holiday Inn ? That's what the HSGA is all about and what will surely be lost if it doesn't receive the support from steel guitarists who love Hawaiian music and their instrument.
As for the 4 Newsletters,(also mentioned in a thread above), another worthwhile club, the Aloha International Steel Guitar Club with headquarters in Minneapolis, also publishes 4 Newsletters a year. Both are full of great information. Of late, I have come to prefer the AISGC Newsletter as having superior articles of interest.
The two clubs have been around for many, many years...the AISGC being the older of the two. Both have conventions and encourage EXACTLY what Ray mentioned..."where accomplished players could mingle around and sit-in in various groups that are simply jamming..."
The only sad part of it all for me is the cost involved traveling to Joliet or Winchester, IN., by air. The air flight to Joliet and/or Winchester, IN., actually costs me more to travel to those events for a short 4 day stay, than to fly to Hawai'i to enjoy a one month vacation in the surf and sand...and jamming with the locals...'nuf said.
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 8:14 pm    

In 2001 wnen I began to promote Lapdancer Guitars, I happened upon HSGA and after looking over the site, decided to join. I contacted them and talked to someone in the office. I told them I was interested in advertiseing in the newsletter, but needed to put together an ad with a photo. I was told in the mean time, I was welcome to send them whatever press info I had about my guitars and they would put a mention of Lapdancer in the next issue.I sent in my dues and press release info as instructed. I waited eagerly for the next news letter, where I found my name as a new member, but there was no mention of Lapdancer whatsoever. Too bad, because it left a sour tast in my mouth and I spent my small ad $ in Guitar Player. I also sent press info to Vintage Guitar magazine and they saw fit to run nearly a full page on me, without advertiseng once.
Maybe someone at HSGA needs to work and get paid something, so there is an incentive to follow through or opertunities to expand will be overlooked.
I was looking forward to someday having a booth at the bi-annual convention. Even though my name is Hawaiian,(my father flew B-24s out of the islands during WWII) I felt like an outsider, when noone followed through.
I did not renew my membership.
Aloha, Loni www.Lapdancerguitars.com
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 8:15 pm    

I wrote the following letter to the HSGA in 1998 a few days after I attended my first Joliet convention (and years before I was on the HSGA Board). I went to the convention by myself and not knowing anyone in the organization. This letter was originally published in the winter 1999 HSGA quarterly.
----------------------------------------

I just returned from the Joliet '98 convention and would like to thank everyone who made me feel welcome, at home and part of the family.

I just joined the HSGA last summer and was a bit nervous about attending the convention. I wondered if I would encounter a group of people that were exclusive and not receptive to newcomers. Would my guitar playing go unappreciated? Would my questions about the music and steel guitar go unanswered or thought of as foolish? Would I be alone the entire weekend?

None of my fears materialized. I was a stranger for less than a minute. Soon after I walked into the convention, a member struck up a conversation with me. I was soon introduced to more members. I sat down to listen to a few sets and felt very good. At the end of the afternoon I even had a dinner invitation!

Later at the jam session I felt very nervous about taking out my guitar and playing. But thanks to encouragement from Doug Smith and Barb Kuhns I played and felt the camaraderie of my fellow musicians. I stayed up until 3 AM for three nights, playing tunes with the fine musicians I met.

Meeting and playing with Alan Akaka, Greg Sardinha, Duke Ching and all the others was an experience I will never forget. Their encouraging words, sense of adventure and just having fun with the music was stimulating and exciting. These good feelings allowed everyone playing to achieve their best.

Special thanks to Don Weber for allowing me to fill in a slot on the Saturday afternoon show. I enjoyed sharing my solo guitar work with everyone.

I'm fired up about steel guitar now. I actually brought my lap steel with me to Joliet, but was too nervous to take it out. I've only been playing a year and only really playing it sporadically. This past weekend helped my playing greatly. Seeing people's hands, getting tips from fellow steelers, and just immersing myself in Hawaiian music for three days was just what I needed. When I got home from Joliet, I stayed up until 2 AM working on "Sand".

Thanks again for a wonderful weekend.

Gerald Ross, Ann Arbor, Michigan

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 18 February 2004 at 08:25 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 8:18 pm    

My Feelings go along with what Ron has said...My own experience with the organisation has been to say the least un-inspiring... when I asked about my attending and what time would I be allocated I was eventually told that I would be fitted in "Somewhere" but they could not confirm this beforehand, I was not about to travel with a "Maybe" .. I did not go...and I did NOT renew the joint membership of my wife and myself...
When we played at the Hawaiian Promotion Day last Easter in Holland we were treated as guests ...not on-lookers, or strange "Colonials" to be tolerated and treated in a placatory manner.

I have also had the above mentioned bad e-mail experiences from the HSGA...

So Pat and I are going to Kanehoe bay (November) to stay and play a little...around the pool at the house where we're staying (Mio Mio Loop) with our friends, we hope to make a few new ones as well, and maybe meet the regular forumites like Ron Whitfield, and although we may be just down the road from the HSGA headquarters, unless they approach us, which I doubt will happen, I'm sure we will enjoy our holiday on our own, and also enjoy gathering material for inclusion in our own European magazine "Aloha Dream".

Last year 12 of our members attended the HSGA Convention....not that anyone would know from reading the report of the convention. They only travelled halfway 'round the world, to be heard for 20 minutes playing in Hawaii (Their dream). This dream has also been my wife's and mine since we started playing and promoting Hawaiian music here in Europe almost 50 years ago...maybe we haven't served our apprenticeship yet, or maybe it's just that as far as the HSGA is concerned they "Play it Safe" when entertaining players from outside of the USA. Either way is of little concern to us ....... I know this is looking like a "Put Down" by me on the HSGA , well.... that's EXACTLY how they've treated me !! Put well and truly in what they consider is my place..... "SOMEWHERE in the schedule, but not confirmed and only possibly"

And as far as the invitation to help the Hawaiian Guitar from sinking into oblivion...
we have been doing that very thing in Europe for the last half century..with acts like Felix Mendelssohn's Hawaiian Serenaders George De Fretes, Rudy Wairata, Sammy Mitchell Harry Brooker, Roland Peachey, Marcel Bianchi, Harry Hugassian and many others....although the "Steel Guitar Hall of Fame" would seem to contradict this FACT.
Basil Henriques

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

[This message was edited by basilh on 18 February 2004 at 08:28 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 8:42 pm    

Comment withdrawn with apologies

[This message was edited by basilh on 19 February 2004 at 04:52 AM.]

George Rout

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2004 9:09 pm    

I've seemed to have started something, both good and not so good with my comments on 2nd place there. All I can say right now is, "Life is too short and we're dead far too long". If HSGA doesn't care, I surely don't care!!!! Let's move along.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2004 10:48 pm    

George R., with all due respect, I didn't stick my neck out on this issue to just blow off steam, or upset anybody unnecessarily, and I for one, won't be ready to move along(if you were suggesting closing this thread) until I get some questions answered, and more importantly, see some input that will aid in solving at least some of the problems mentioned. To me, this is a vital issue, and many folks have given much of their lives to keeping the Hawaiian steel from disappearing, and we are now(once again) at an important juncture in keeping that from happening.

I was lucky enuf to have been at most of the various Hawaii based steel shows since 1980, and for 15 years it was tremendous, and I got spoiled by it when it was so good. Which is partly why I am now so disappointed in the situation I find the status of the steel in Hawaii today, after having it's future in the 90s looking so bright.

Gerald, that was a wonderful reprint you submitted, and I'm sure there are many others who have had similar experiences, thanx to the HSGA and such. Without a doubt, there are many great things to be had over the years by being involved with the many fine folks who show up at an HSGA event, and I hope that never comes to an end. Now, to concentrate on the main subject matter. Can you possibly contribute some answers to any of the questions I've asked? I'm certainly not looking to put this all on your shoulders, as I don't think you have the inside scoop to the internal affairs of the HSGA, but you have been the only one to jump in so far with any major defense. Maybe you can get some input from the 'big wigs', and relay it to us, or persuade them to post directly(if any are SGF members). It may go a long way to erasing some of the discord obviously present from many like myself who have had bad experiences with them, and are hoping to see many things improve. I believe, we the steel community, deserve to know the state of affairs concerning these matters, at a time when things are not so rosey. I've brought this all up in hopes of getting something positive out of it, and would think those at the controls could appreciate that and make it known where things stand.
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 7:17 am    

Ron,

Please email me with the specific questions you want answered and I will contact my fellow board members and get back to you (really).

I’d like to address an issue previously mentioned in this thread, the issue regarding new HSGA members and first-timers to HSGA events feeling ignored or being treated disrespectfully. First let me apologize to anyone who has experienced these feelings. I can assure you that the HSGA membership did not deliberately try to make you feel this way. Human interactions especially on first meeting are a touchy thing. Words, glances, second-guessing the other person's thoughts, personality quirks and cross-cultural etiquette rules can easily be misconstrued.

Yesterday I contacted both the HSGA board and the Joliet convention committee regarding this issue. We came up with a solution that I’m sure will alleviate the issue.

A check box indicating if you are a new member or a first-timer at an HSGA event will be included on the Joliet and Honolulu convention registration forms. It's up to the attendee to decide whether or not to check this box. It is not mandatory. If you check the box a small unobtrusive sticker will be placed on your convention name badge. Long time members seeing this sticker will make it a point to greet the attendee, find out a little bit about them and try to make the person feel at home and welcome. This sticker can easily be removed if the attendee wants to remain "anonymous" or feel they’ve been “welcomed enough”.

Gerald Ross
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 20 February 2004 at 07:19 AM.]

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 9:09 am    

I was an HSGA Member for a few years in the early 1990's ...until my de-motivating experiences mounted up quite similar to ones said in this discussion thread; And I came to have no more motivation to pay dues, but instead to promote Steel more effectively (as an individual) in my own efforts. First let me say that as I get on in years (56) I come to respect the limitations that comes with age, ...and larger projects and tasks we might have been able to handle at a younger age becomes ever-increasingly smaller. So as the older HSGA (Hawaii) hats age, who did so well and provided so much Leadership in the past, alas the HGSA has waned from the very good organization it once was. MUCH respect and appreciation is still due folks that have volunteered in the HSGA and done much work there behind the scenes; But the condition of the organization and it meeting it's charter and goals has increasingly left much to be desired ...particularly over the last 10 years or so. One needs only to visit the HSGA website and see people coming to their web-forums "asking the pros" questions (as is lauded to do there), and many times those very simple questions go unanswered for a VERY long time (months and even more than a year in some cases). I used to re-visit there ever-so-often just to answer some of the unanswered postings there; But even my doing that has waned because of the deterioration of the organization evidenced there. The failure for the HSGA Hoolaulea to attract a "packed house" is an internal symptom and not one necessarily of the popularity of Steel Guitar in the General Public. The popularity of Steel Guitar is not waning but is on an increase IMHO (Notwithstanding the corporate raiding of Country Music that is almost entirely by bean counters who are brain-dead to the Art); And if the Public doesn't recognize the sound and basic terminologies of Steel, it is a fault of promotion and not the Public who garner a great amount of their attention from promotion and advertisement.

But why / how did the HSGA (Hawaii) deteriorate to such a degree? A few factors can be pondered IMHO: (1) The resources of the HSGA did not fail due to a lack of membership; But to the contrary, the lack of membership is a symptom of a lack of respect for the organizations performance. (2) The now-older Forebears in the past ...who had learned promotional / production skills in their successes... did a great job of promoting Steel Guitar, but didn't seem to similarly promote their Leadership and organizational, motivational and promotional skills it takes to meet the HSGA charter with commendable effect. (3) Over the last 10 years, the HSGA did in fact take on pointed signs of evolving into a "club" of inside people who for any number of reasons weren't very effectively motivated to reach out very much past that circle nor beyond it's existing limited resources and it's own internal comfort / "prestige" / self-image; ...which is counter productive to the HSGA's charter goals; ...resulting in the very symptoms expressed in this discussion thread. Their charter REQUIRES organizational skills, initiatives and motivation of the kind Ron Whitfield proposes in this thread, which is lacking at the HSGA-Hawaii ...albeit restricted by resources, ...amounting to the needs evidenced by Gerald's excellent "checklist" of tasks and resources said needed earlier in this thread. ------- Without effective Leadership, organizational skills and motivation to replace the ageing talents, ...then it is natural and to be expected that the tentacles of HSGA initiative will shrink until it does become a small circle / club of mostly good and well-intentioned folks (and likely a few capable folks along for the ride and prestige) but having lost the abilities and resources of it's previous commendable past. And I feel sure that the activisist in the HSGA would like to find solutions even better than we outside monday morning quarterbacks do.

Now, would Ron's suggestions work for the HSGA? Monday morning quarter-backing, I would say yes ....were it not that a means would likely need to be found for the HSGA club itself to recognize it's nature, without offending folks there and having the last vestiges of abilities there de-motivated. From that point I think it would "require" obtaining a grant to hire a professional to come in, rebuild and run the organization for an interem period of probably 12-24 months ....after which it could be turned back over to a newly trained volunteer staff (or possibly a chief and vice-chief paid by subsequent grants keyed to promoting Hawaiian tourism). IMHO, the most important grant the HSGA could apply for at this point, would be the funds to hire such a professional and provide him/her with an operating budget to accomplish the rebuilding of the organization; It just seems like much too big a job for a single qualified Leader to do on a volunteer basis with a staff of voulteers (and human natures) the new chief was hired to "fix". I don't think that subsequent funding in the future would be all that difficult with the number of people eager to support a truely effective HSGA that met it's charter in manners seen as commendably and respectably effective, ....such as fixing the problems, and incorporating the ideas, said in this discussion thread.

I think we would also be well served to remember that the General Public does not share the recognition of music quality that Musicians do, ...no more than most of us recognize the genius of Picasso; And POINTEDLY most of the public's musical attention is based upon fad and promotion / advertising. If there is a critical mass of Steelers that desire to support promoting the instrument beyond it's natural course, then doing so will require no small amount of promotional talent and effort, and the resources, networking and politicing neccessary to do that. We can understand why Jerry Byrd promotes the Steel as one of if not THE most versatile instrument on the planet; But most of the planet doesn't know that, ...and ideed don't even know who Jerry Byrd is! And improving that matter is the challenge of promoting Steel Guitar. "We" would have to go to the masses; ...they're NOT gonna come to us without commensurate exposure.

I would also like to see HSGA "chiefs" join this discussion ...for our and their benefit. After all, the jest of this thread is a desire if not plea to support an effective organization. I would strongly surmise that the HSGA "chiefs" have much better insight into their problems that need fixing and subsequent support than we now-outsiders / observers do.

.....IMHO.

Aloha,
DT~
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 11:10 am    

BINGO, right on Denny, thanx for some serious input on this, that's what I was hoping to generate, and hope to hear much more from you and others. If the situation within the organization IS so dire, maybe the grant 'thing' is a solution, and since Gerald brought it up, I'll assume it is at least being pondered. I would think tho that a full review of what worked well in the past, and what has failed, could produce the needed solutions towards putting together a working plan. I do think asking the world of volunteers is too much these days, and $ has to be factored in to have realistic short, and long term goals. But hopefully, this has been a major focus of the HSGA brass all along, and is in the works. At this point, I think they need to step out from behind the curtain and let us in on things, which could lead to many more folks feeling like they could be welcomed in lending assistance, and joining/rejoining the ranks towards making a difference. A strong HSGA can't be anything but positive thing for all concerned. Here's hoping for much more educated input on these matters, and some from the HSGA inner and outer circles.

Gerald, thanx for the offer concerning the questions for the board, but the stuff I and others have sed so far in this thread should be enuf of a start. I'll let it stand there at this point, unless someone else can contribute even more of real substance(and I hope they do).

And Denny, I've recently realized that YOU are the guy I used to dig playing THE tastiest guitar stylings at the old club in Waialua. Do you still? I'm VERY glad to know you're around and into the steel scene. Hope to see/hear you again someday soon.
George Rout

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 6:35 pm    

Hello Ron. Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been away for a few days. I didn't mean to imply closing the thread, but, because I made the first negative comment about the HSGA, I didn't want to start a whole lot of "HSGA bashing" (being critical is one of the easiest things in life). I meant to "move along" on the positive side. Thanks. Geo
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 7:33 pm    

No problemo George. I wasn't looking to cook the organization either, but it sure went in that direction for the most part with the surprising amount of negative experiences. Hopefully it will spur them to rectify the easier to fix problems, like basic communication. Overall, it's gotten some good dialog and maybe a few more will have solutions to suggest or enlighten us with creative ways to bring the steel to a broader/new audience.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2004 10:51 pm    

I don't think any of us are out to "cook" the club...quite the contrary. As with any organization, nothing ever runs perfectly to everyone's complete satisfaction. HSGA has always been operated by volunteers who endeavored to do their best for the membership and they deserve much credit for doing so. It's a great club, no one can deny that. If I didn't believe in the HSGA, I would never have renewed my membership year after year. I have been a member since the inception of the HSGA, served on the Board of Directors in the early years and was an active participant in many conventions, (Joliet and Waikiki). The club just has to work out a few glitches which have been mentioned in this thread, and to do that, the HSGA requires younger blood than olde pharts like me to volunteer their service.

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 23 February 2004 at 10:52 PM.]