| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fingerpick shape
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 2:50 am    

I use pro pick reso angled nickel fingerpicks which I don't bend . I noticed the teacher I just started taking lessons from bends his fingerpicks to totally conform to the shape of his fingertip pad . He recommended this to me ,but when I tried , it seems I just couln't get any picking surface going too well. I was curious if any other players do , or don't bend their metal fingerpicks ?
thank you for any comments
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 7:27 am    

My impression is that most players bend the picks at least a little, some a lot. You're probably just not used to the new shape. On the other hand those angled picks are different. I tried them and didn't care for them.
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 8:07 am    

I think you can get used to almost anything over time. Maybe just a little bend keeps the string from hanging up on the pick and then snapping for a louder/sharper sound than desired.

[This message was edited by Fred Glave on 05 February 2004 at 08:07 AM.]

Lincoln Goertzen

Taylor, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 10:22 am    

Fred nailed it. You can get used to anything.

If you can get a good sound out of unbent, angled fingerpicks, by all means, do so.

If you find your sound is too harsh, or something, try bending them.

Lincoln
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 10:39 am    

Bend em, or your gonna catch the string and loosen up the pick or rip it off your finger sometimes. I studied a bunch of pictures of famous guys and it looked like they all bent the pick around their fingers. I've stopped using picks for awhile so I can switch off to guitar fast, but picks sound the best.

[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 05 February 2004 at 10:41 AM.]

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 12:14 pm    

Jerry Byrd has his(National/Dunlop) bent fully around the tip(not that you have to), and I've found it to be best for myself, as I usually want much less of a pick sound, and can get anything from a whisper to full attack. I also use National/Dunlop, and am not familiar with those you use.
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 1:47 pm    

I've found that getting finger picks to feel perfect is a never ending process. Right now I'm using the angled Propiks. The pick on my index finger is angled one way, and the picks on my middle and ring fingers are angled the other way. It's kind of ridiculous, but it's sort of working for me.

I too have been considering bending them a bit, although they're not as easy to bend as some others. The thing is, I try to get whatever picks I'm wearing to work with my hand position as much as I can. But as I change my hand position, I feel like I need to adjust my picks.

If I'm resting the side of my hand on the strings at/near the bridge (24th fret or beyond), then the angled Propiks work quite well, as the pick is angled in such a way as to allow me to pick comfortably without twisting my wrist too much. If I pick further out towards the nut (ballpark 12th fret), I need to rotate my wrist a little, and here the picks would need to be anlged the other way to get the same effect. So it's kind of a dilemma.

Also, I find I'm starting to curl my fingers under my hand a bit more. This is why I'm considering bending the picks a little (although for now I just shove them on a little tighter, so that the pick part doesn't stick out as much).

I play a lot without finger picks, and that's where I work on my hand position. My philosophy with pick adjustments is to try and match my "no picks" hand position as much as possible.

Anyways, if that made any sense at all, then give yourself an 'A' for reading comprehension.

-Travis
Karl Schaefer

Marina, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 2:00 pm    

I would like to add to the bent/straight discussion, that I've 'invented' a two-way finger pick: they work while closing and opening your fingers.

With their tips bent inward and soldered together, they never get caught between the strings. What's interesting though is that they have a different voice depending on whether you're plucking toward or strumming away from you.

And they work for pick dampening too, though a brief metallic sound is heard whilst pushing the 'points' between the strings (as when any metal pick first strikes the string). Very percussive sounds are also feature of this type of pick.

The bend then, is equal for each side, so that the 'point' is on the centerline of your finger. And, of course, you get use to it!
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 2:10 pm    

Kevin: Every time this topic comes up there seem to be almost as many different answers as there are people responding to the question. I don't think anyone can dictate what's right or wrong on this one. The relative lengths of a person's fingers and thumb and the musculature of the hand is different in every person, and this alone means that there's not going to be a one-size-fits-all
solution to the question of what are the best picks, or how or if they should be bent. I use the Pro Pik reso. picks too, without any bend. For me, discovering them was a revelation. They not only improved my tone greatly, but considerably reduced the fatigue in my hand. On the other hand (no pun intended), I know people who've tried them and found them very unsatisfactory.
What works, works. Go with what feels best for you. Good technique is impossible without comfort.
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 3:03 pm    

I have found that using two different sets of picks works best for me: one for my acoustic reso and another for my Stringmaster and Ric Bakelite 6.

In both cases I use .018 Dunlop finger picks and Golden Gate thumbpicks. I like the light guage picks because they easily fit my fingers and are comfortable (got the idea from JB).

For the electric set-up I bend the fingerpicks to closely fit the contour of my finger tips and trim some material from the tip of the thumbpick, then polish it. The Ric and Fender require picking not too deeply and of course hard picking is not needed that often on electrics.

For the acoustic set I don't bend the fingerpicks as much. I find that approach gives me more power (leverage) for hard picking, which is something I frequently do on the reso. I leave the thumbpick full length for the same reasons.

I use a Gary Swallow bar for the reso and a bullet for the electrics, so I have two seperate pick/bar bags.

By the way Howard R., after several months of regular use I have yet to drop the Swallow bar or accidently knock it off the dining room table onto the ceramic tile floor. Does this mean I have to relinquish my title as Lord of the Dings?

This is off-topic, but I really have grown to like the Swallow bar. There is something nice about holding hardwood instead of steel.
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 7:18 pm    

Karl, what a cool idea. PSG clawhammer style! I have often wanted to be able to strum downwards with the backs of my fingers while wearing finger picks. Do you have any pictures?

-Travis
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2004 7:23 pm    

Actually, I have to revise what I said. I do bend my Pro Piks somewhat (I've been using the same pair for so long that I forgot). Again, though, it's purely a matter of personal preference and comfort. I know players far better than I ever hope to be who bend the picks almost to conform fully to the shape of the fingertips, and others who seem to like them just as they come. Comfort is the key.

[This message was edited by Ian McLatchie on 05 February 2004 at 07:24 PM.]

Karl Schaefer

Marina, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2004 3:26 pm    

Thanks Travis. I'll post 'Pick' pic's as soon as I perfect the photo procedure (Never have done it, eh)!

I have wondered where someone with skill could take this idea. I can do simple rakes and arpeggios, but fail at flamenco-type-flourishs.

I did send a set of three to a local hero, Bob Brozman, who, if you've heard him play his acoustic arsenal of National Tricones and Weissenborn Hawaiians, surely has seven fingers on his picking hand anyway.

The only other similiar finger pick I've seen is an interesting fragile wire type that sitar players use for bi-directional picking. I've not seen what the (claw hammer) banjo players may use.

As far as mine, I'm pleased to pass it on.
Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2004 8:22 pm    

Karl,
Clawhammer banjo pickers don't use any picks.
The finger is pushed onto the string and the "release" of the string is the note you hear. It's quite tricky, and something I've not tried because I like Scruggs Style with picks. If you look at the player's hand, it's as though he's holding a hammer.
OK B0b, fire away with your anti-banjo comments.
Pat
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2004 10:37 pm    

Karl, send the photo to me and I'll post it.

[This message was edited by HowardR on 08 February 2004 at 05:25 AM.]

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2004 6:49 am    

I use one plastic fingerpick ... along with a Zookie-30 thumbpick.

"Two-pick Rick"

I heat it up in some boilin' water and bend it around the contour of my finger ... so that the front edge is even with my fingernail.

I like the "equivalent" tone it produces ... relative to my thumbpick.

------------------

www.horseshoemagnets.com

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 07 February 2004 at 06:55 AM.]

Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2004 4:13 am    

Thanks for writing in your comments , experiences and thoughts on my question about fingerpick shape, it's much appreciated.
I had been been having a heck of a time hanging on to my bullet bar lately for some reason. I work maintenance in a large elementary public school and wash my hands frequently each day. I overheard the janitors talking abut the fact they don't use the school provided Ivory Soap bars as they draw all oil off your hands , bingo , another learning experience. I switched to a different soap and it's back to hanging on to the bar like usual
HowardR

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2004 5:23 am    

Quote:
I have yet to drop the Swallow bar or accidently knock it off the dining room table onto the ceramic tile floor. Does this mean I have to relinquish my title as Lord of the Dings?

Yes Bob, I'm afraid so, but don't fret, you are now an honorary Cling-on. May the farce be with you.

I'd like to try one of those bars. I've heard good things about them also.

Budd Kelley

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2004 8:39 am    

My hands were drying out with winter and the harsh cleansers at work. So I went in to a big dept store, marched right up to the cosmetics counter and asked the lady what she had that wouldn't make me smell like my mother! She recommended "Clinique Deep Comfort Body Butter". Good Stuff! I use it at bedtime and I am good to go for a few days. It lasts through handwashings and doesn't make things slippery AFTER it is absorbed. (That is why I use it at bedtime.)

I give it my Seal Of Approval.
(Imagine crossed cigars over a field of little Miller bottles!)

[This message was edited by Budd Kelley on 08 February 2004 at 03:42 PM.]

Donald Ruetenik

Pleasant Hill, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2004 9:02 am    

Yeah, I'd only use it on my hands, though.
HowardR

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2004 11:38 am    

rimshot.....and a good one at that!
Karl Schaefer

Marina, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2004 3:10 pm    

HowardR, thank you in advance for your assistance. I'm charging up the digital!

As a new member, I want to say that it is great to feel so welcome.

2/13 edit: I need to charge my brain - Can't get a 137 meg JPEG to e-mail to you. IPS protocol problem. How did I get this far in life without these skills? (Missed out on all of that 'hot-tubbing thing' too) I could put them in a box and overnight them faster than this! I'd sure like everyone to see them, so I'll pound on at it.

[This message was edited by Karl Schaefer on 13 February 2004 at 05:27 PM.]

Karl Schaefer

Marina, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 10:03 am    

HowardR: Saw your photo post concerning the Ebay 'Sting'-Master.

I had no idea I was e-mailing my finger pick 'pic' to a distinguished person such as yourself, and I'm grateful that a man in your position has offered to help me post.

Thank you in advance for your time sir, and, you'll find the 87 meg jpg file was sent to you via an alternate internet service provider.

I remain humbly indebted, your (new) four-neck-friend, Krayz Karl.

Oh, where did you find the OEM pant type hangers? Fender did make the original shirt style up until '58, like I have. Your's look better!

Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 5:11 pm    

I just put the pro piks away and went back to Dunlop National and it seems to be better with regards to the new finger / hand position my teacher's been steering me to. It's different than the hand position I started out with on my Regal Dobro
HowardR

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2004 7:39 pm    

Quote:
a man in your position has offered to help me post.

That position is usually 180 degress....but seriously folks, you've all been waiting with bated breath, and many of you with bad breath,
and so without any further ado....the "Bipick"