| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An evening with Debashish, and Co.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2004 4:14 pm    

First, a big fat mahalo to Bill Leff for the tip off, for there has been NO local advertisment for these performances that I have seen/heard yet.

After JUST missing the morning program at the UH yesterday, I was more than set to enjoy the evening's show. It originally was to be a solo act, but for the price of one(actually free!), we got a stage full of virtuosos. Joining DB, was his brother Subashish on percusion, Ledward Ka'apana on accoustic slack key guitar/uke, and Alan Akaka on various steels.

Starting with 3 fine #s from Led, along with his unique style of humor, we then were introduced to Deb and Sub. Utilizing a continuous backing track of pre-recorded classic/stereotypical Indian 'harpish' sounds(maybe Bill knows the correct term), the duo produced 2 long raga's, using 2 elaborate slide instruments he brought. These guitars have to be seen to be believed(beautiful and intricate designs). Next, Alan gave an oral history of Hawaiian steel and the particular guitars he was using. Starting with a modern Wiesenborn style, gave us Sweet Leilani, and Hilo March. Picking up a '37(?, long scale, hollow neck, gold paint) Fry Pan, he played Hano Hano Hanalei and Little Grass Shack. Finally, with a Canopus/Gibson 150, we got, Unforgetable, and Kawikukapolani(Keoki, help me with the spelling!). After a short break, DB grabbed his Anandi(a 4 str. uke steel, what were you thinking?) and we were treated to a Kanikapila/jam from all. Not surprising, the 2 Hawaiians were left scratching their heads as to how to fit in with the abstract brand of Indian music, but it came off better than I figured it would, and a great time was had by all.

Tonite's program promises to be even better, as the whole gang heads out to the BYU campus in Laie, and will be joined by none other than 95 year old Tau Moe! In his world wide travels, Tau introduced the steel guitar to Indian audiences, circa mid '30s, and taught DB's grandfather how to play. So tonite, it all comes full circle. As I finger speak, they are having a party at the Moe's Laie home, and should be well primed for the event.

Talley Ho! 5-0
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2004 10:02 pm    

The show with Alan and the folks from India sounds fascinating. I have a few tapes of steel guitar music played in India which I have never really fully understood or appreciated...just not my style of music I suppose. The steel work sounded somewhat sloppy to my ears and was full of 'quarter' tones, (sounds between the black and white keys of the piano which really don't exist on the piano)...kinda wierd. Perhaps what you heard was quite different ?

You were fairly close on the spelling ... just left out only half of the alphabet!
The song is titled "Kawohikukapulani" which is one of my favorites. It's quite easy to pronounce...just break it up phonetically:
"KAA-WO-HEE-KOO-KAA-POO-LAA-NEE" ....now, wasn't that easy ?

The Tau Moe show would be the one I would prefer to see and hear. He's an amazing man whom Hawai'i is only beginning to realize ! He was away from Hawai'i from the 1920's to the 1980's and very few even knew about him or that he and his family eventually returned to O'ahu to settle in Laie. It's really only within the past couple of years Hawaiians (and haoles living in Hawai'i) have come to realize and fully appreciate all this fantastic family has done for Hawai'i during the time they were away. Tau at 95 is indeed one of Hawai'i's Living Treasures and an icon in the world of the Hawaiian Steel Guitar.
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2004 10:36 am    

Ron:

You lucky you live Hawaii!

That "harpish" sound was probably a prerecorded tambura track. The tambura looks like a sitar, but there are no "frets". There are several strings (4, I think), and the player continuously plucks each note to set up a drone over which the solo instruments play. The tambura is frequently played by a beautiful woman

George:

The Indian scales are microtonal as you suggest and may take some getting accustomed to. I can assure you that a player the calibre of DB is not sloppy. Just the opposite - he is probably unrivaled with respect to intonation.

Bill

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2004 11:12 am    

Whooops Bill...A misunderstanding. I was referring to the old tapes I have here in the house, not to him. I am sure he is a master and would love to hear him sometime.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2004 4:16 pm    

Thanx gentlemen for your assistance in correcting my errors!

Last nites Sat. show, at the BYU campus was surprisingly, far more intense and enjoyable than Fri.'s. While there were less attendees, and the format was essentially the same, there was even more fire in the performances of Debash and Subi. Maybe it stemmed from the emmotional pre-show ceremony celebrating Tau's involement in intoducing the steel to India, and having taught DB's grandfather, etc. Of course, just having Tau(who was very 'up' for a 95er) and daughter Dorian present amongst a knowing and appreciative crowd will raise the level of intensity. Dr. Ish Stagner started off the ceremony, placing Tau and Dorian in front of the stage, while presentations were made by Debash to a humble and happy Moe family. Dorian spoke for Tau, and had a tough time getting past her wishes that mother Rose, and brother Lani could have been there as well to recieve the deserved accolades. All involved were obviously very touched by the event. As for the show, all the positives that permeated the previous nites program were present, and much more. The best of the best came at the evening's end, when they all had their 'jam'. This time it was what you hope for in these improptu moments, simply electrifying, as all the players really went for it. The small crowd went wild! The music and humor during this last 20+ mins. was to say the least memorable, and certainly a benchmark in Hawaiian music history. And again, FREE. Today's 'stars'(?) with their mega buck ticket prices and egos, aren't worth the sweat that came off these performers brows last nite, which was given straight from their hearts. I wish you all could have been there.
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2004 4:37 pm    

Ron, thanks for posting your experience - whoa, you bet I wish I was there

I did catch Debashish 2 summers ago at the Calgary Folk Festival, hope he comes this way again some time.

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2004 6:44 pm    

I was wondering if Mr Debashish checks the room out first for the over all vibe he gets from everyone there and then picks what Raga will be played based on this and the time of day etc. I know Sufi Inayat Khan taught this way back in the day.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2004 7:28 pm    

From what I could tell, he just went with the 'usual' #s, but let it go where ever. I'll ask him.
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2004 11:37 pm    

And Subashish can really sing, too. I've heard a tape of a concert Deb and Sub played with Bob Brozman and Martin Simpson. Subashish's singing will move you to tears.

At one point in the show, Debashish is tuning up, and Brozman points out that even listening to him tune is amazing.

I have yet to see him live--I hope he makes it back to the Vancouver area soon.

-Travis