| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Queen at the Hollywood Bowl - Oct 22
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 9:37 am    

I took my wife and daughter and friend to see Brian May, Roger Taylor and Paul Rodgers last Saturday at a spectacular "Rock" show that I have'nt seen for the likes of perhaps the last time Freddie Mercury was with the group, now I realize that Queen may not be everybody's cup of tea but for straight good time rock n roll and solid vocals by Rodgers & company along with (3) backing musicians and a superb light show, this was truly something to behold.

Bronco Billy aka 'Aged ole rocker' on Psg
Zumsteel U-12

[This message was edited by Billy Woo on 25 October 2005 at 10:38 AM.]

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 9:25 am    

I guess there are no ex rockers out there anymore? Rock is dead, Long live Rap..(jes kiddin)
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 10:01 am    

I just can't imagine Paul Rodgers singing that stuff. Was he "being himself" or doing a Freddie impression?

For some reason, old rockers getting the band back together is very popular these days. It's good to see that the guys in Queen didn't let a little thing like death get in the way.

Oh, and I like the description of Queen being "straight" rock and roll!

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 11:54 am    

Queen sounded great with Brian May out front and still playing just as fine as he did 20 years ago with a stack of Vox amps behind him also Roger Taylor had the "Cannon Sound" on his drums, they all rocked and interesting to note the demographic was mixed, alot of teenagers and 30-40 year olds and up. As to Paul Rodgers, he was doing just fine as a frontman and not a F. Mercury imitation, he was himself and even sang songs from Bad Company and Free of which he was the lead singer. In my youth my band, "Blitz" was playing 'Tie your mother down, 'keep yourself Alive and 'Liar' This concert actually rocked but only here in Hollywood and New Jersey, from here the lads go to Japan and Europe.

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12

[This message was edited by Billy Woo on 28 October 2005 at 12:57 PM.]

Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 8:53 pm    

I MISSED THAT EVENT, BUT A BUDDY WENT AND SAID IT WAS GREAT! PAUL ROGERS DID NOT SING ON "BOHEMIAN RAPHSODY", BUT RATHER THE BAND PLAYED TO A VOCAL TRACK OF FREDDY MERCURY AS A SURPRISE. THERE WAS NO WAY PAUL ROGERS COULD SING THAT. ROGERS IS A GREAT SINGER FOR SURE. (I WAS BACK STAGE PHOTOGRAPHING PAUL AND BAD COMPANY BACK IN THE DAY.) OOPS, I JUST REALIZED MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK ON CAPITAL LETTERS. SORRY
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2005 5:15 am    

'Straight r'n'r' - that's an interesting take!

What a great singer Paul Rogers is! He was also the vocalist with Ace - on 'How Long (has this been going on)?' I don't think Freddie M. came close to Rogers, even on his best night!

RR
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2005 6:20 am    

I have no great moral opposition to musical necrophilia - as Keith Richards, Bob Wier and others have said, "What else are we gonna do?" - but I personally get the willies watching wrinkly old people singing about Hot Teen Love. Shouldn't they be singing about stock options, Geritol and Depends?
John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2005 4:34 pm    

Brian May- what a great guitar tone with those AC30's!

------------------
http://www.johnmcgann.com
Info for musicians, transcribers, technique tips and fun stuff. Joaquin Murphey transcription book, Rhythm Tuneup DVD and more...

Greg Vincent

Folsom, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2005 10:11 am    

Hey Billy did Brian do the "Brighton Rock" thing with the tape delays???

Brian May was my hero when I was a kid. -GV
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2005 1:44 pm    

Hi Greg

Yes he did and it sounded great with all those layers of echo loops changing the texture of his solo morphing into one of their hits songs (forgot which one)
Good to see you back here, did you go some where or take a vacation? I bought the booklet with pics if you wanna see it sometime youre welcome to come over and check it out.

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12
Greg Vincent

Folsom, CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2005 4:12 pm    

Thanks for missing me, Billy! I've just been crazy-busy here at work since the summer and we're just barely getting back to normal pace now.

Great to hear you're a Brian May fan --that's one more thing we have in common!

The live recording of "Brighton Rock" on Live Killers features that tape loop solo stuff and is pretty magnificent. I used to listen to that solo over & over when I was a teenager and thought it was just mesmerizing! -GV

[This message was edited by Greg Vincent on 02 November 2005 at 04:14 PM.]

Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2005 5:05 am    

Roger, Paul Carrack sang lead on Ace's "How long"...he also sang lead on hits for Squeeze (Tempted) and Mike and the Mechanics (Living Years)...very talented dude.