| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  So What's Garth Brooks up to?
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 4:35 pm    

Seen his website lately?
http://www.garthbrooks.com/

New wife, new single??

IMO, The stage is set for his return and his everlasting legacy as the savior of Country Music. Mark my words (and I've been saying this for a couple years).

Those of you who worked steadily from 1989 through the 90's had better think long and hard before getting out the flame throwers and Garth Brooks voodoo dolls. I think, this could be, and will be, good for us musicians, if it happens like I think it may.

Just calling 'em like I see 'em.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 6:08 pm    

No way to argue with his popularity, but----you knew that was coming---after having not heard his recordings for a long time and then having heard one recently, I am plagued with the same problem as I had when he was mega, I really hear so much "forced" country in his singing style. Garth Brooks is the Bill Clinton of country music. He could do no wrong, even when he was wrong.

What year was is when Garth was responsible for like 40 percent of the ENTIRE country music biz!! That has got to be some kind of record.

Hope he does have a come back of sorts. Elvis had one. Ali had one. I am still waiting on Pee Wee Herman.

Money, money, money.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 6:30 pm    

I don't mind him having a comeback, he is certainly popular; but it ain't even remotely real "country", any more than the Eagles or James Taylor would be. It's the reason a lot of people won't listen to the real stuff- they aren't willing to be educated on what real country music is if it is anything like Garth, Shania, et. al.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 3:52 am    

"So What's Garth Brooks up to? "

About 275, last picture I saw of him !
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 4:11 am    

"Garth Brooks is the Bill Clinton of country music."

Now there's a phrase you don't hear everyday and right you are Bill. I missed the tune on purpose yesterday but WSM played a brand new release from him and made it out to be a big deal. So did he marry Trisha Yearwood or what? I always thought there was an affair going on long before his divorce so maybe I was right.

[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 07 October 2005 at 05:13 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 4:15 am    

I heard the song yesterday. I heard Rob playing fiddle and Bruce on steel.
Both musicians are very happy to be first call on GARTH's return!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 4:28 am    

Steve, I'm rollin', I durn near fell of the chair! Good one!

Went to the web-site. Impressive. There's a big "g" that does nothing. Actually, if you rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise, it looks kinda like a lorgnette! That's all I could get out of it.

I was expecting some ominous music...like the "Jaws" theme.

Nope.

Guess I'm too old to figger it out.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 4:57 am    

Now if Peewee Herman took up the ukelele....
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 6:47 am    

I gave up on good old Garth for good when I saw him smash his guitar at a performance.
That is an unpardonable sin as far as this conservative left-handed Norwegian is concerned!!!
Erv
Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 10:31 am    

Ben, I'm curious to know how it could be good for us? I mean beside employing musicians if Girth decides to tour. Maybe more marginal music? More dumb songs for people to request at the clubs I play? I can hardly wait. I know I for one have not been waiting with baited or any other kind of breath for his return. I suppose I'll do what I've always done when the Girth marketing machine goes into full saturation mode. I'll go buy a Gene Watson record.
Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 10:33 am    

And also amusing is the annointing of Girth as "The Savior of Country Music". I hope that was a joke.
Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 10:36 am    

Erv, Don't be so hard on Girth. It was only a Takamine that he smashed.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 10:38 am    

Brett,
It was still wood and wire!
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 10:58 am    

Quote:
...The stage is set for his return and his everlasting legacy as the savior of Country Music.

Just a LITTLE overboard. Are you his publicist?
Fan club president?

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden D-10 8/8, Fessenden SD-12 5/5 (Ext E9), Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 12:01 pm    

I thought we were supposed to be calling him Garth Yearbrook, no?
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 3:05 pm    

Steve Earle likes to refer to Garth as
"The Anti-Hank".

I also like Steve's nickname for Shania Twain: "The highest paid lap dancer in North America."

God bless Steve Earle.
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 4:23 pm    

Bill, I fail to see your analogy to Clinton (but, I have left my politics at the login screen).

Theresa, I look forward to hearing Rob and Bruce together again, thanks for scoop.

Donny, look again, there's something else on the website. Then ask yourself, why is there nothing else.

Brett, have you ever heard of the idea of "a rising tide lifts all ships?"

When, in the post Beatles/Elvis era was country more popular than when Garth was at the top? I don't know about your town, but around here, in the early 90's, there were 3 or 4 clubs where you could go hear live country music 5-6 nights a week. Now?? One night a week, in one club, no steel, no fiddle.

My point is that if the popularity of country music in general returns to anywhere near the level that it was in the 90's (even half), it would be good for those of us musicians who enjoy playing country music to more than an audience of one.

The "savior" comment is my prediction of how he will be treated upon his return, primarily by the media. I don't have any special love for Garth's music, I enjoy some of his material, BUT what I do have is an extreme appreciation for his impact on the country music industry as a whole.

If you feel like country music is just as popular today, and you have just as many good paying jobs now as you did if you were active in the 90’s, please, let me know.

(Glad I could stir up some discussion, was getting a little stale around here.)
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 5:18 pm    

Quote:
Donny, look again, there's something else on the website. Then ask yourself, why is there nothing else.

Well, I looked again. Honest. I saw an arc (is that it?), and I also saw a glaring light (maybe that's it?). But that's about as far as I could take it, even with my hi-tech mouse and a wild imagination. I still don't get the little squiggly "g". Is that his new name??? Prince had a squiggly little thing that looked like a corkscrew. He said he preferred to be called by that (whatever it was) instead of "Prince". I don't blame him. "Prince" is a good dogs' name, but not really a good singers' name.

Anyhow, I thought we had all already agreed that it was Alan Jackson, and then Randy Travis, that saved country music?

Guess some of you missed the vote.

Oh well, it's up to Luke Trannon to save country music now.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 5:34 pm    

How about "TAFKAGB" (The Artist Formerly Known as Garth Brooks)?
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 6:15 pm    

Garth who?

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 6:40 pm    

Apparently, Garth isn't up to much, since his website is totally inert - on my computer at least ......
Brett Anderson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2005 8:53 pm    

Ben, Point well taken. I first saw Girth in 1989. He opened the show for Holly Dunn. He had 1 hit at the time and did mostly covers. I liked the music then. But something happened after that and with each new GB cd, the overall listenability went down each time. For me anyway. All my friends who were johnny come lately country fans loved it and couldn't understand why i Didn't. He became a walking marketing machine. Instead of putting out great music he put out drivel and hyped the dogs--t out of it. Almost seemed like he was trying to see how far he could go. Then he put out that lousy Chris Gaines cd and subsequent movie. Both of which were monumental flops. That made me smile. I did work alot in those days but it was'nt just because of St. Girth. It was because the laws weren't as strict on drunk driving. You could still get away with a slap on the wrist. Then as it still is now the majority of people requested older, real country music they could dance to. Here today there are very few clubs that offer live music. And there are fewer every day. I think if they make better music, maybe some tunes that are danceable (country dance that is, not table) people might start coming back to the country clubs. I personally think an argument can be made that the decline in live music venues could be attributed to Girth. He paved the way for other artists to put out bad music. He concentrated on producing a rock show concert experience and the music became an after thought. And for that he has been annoited the savior. P.T Barnum was right.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 4:22 am    

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 10 October 2005 at 06:15 AM.]

jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 5:12 am    

Could it be, the crescent is the profile of Trish's stomach and the g is a little Garth inside. Oh yes the bright light could represent either body piercing or, a diamond in her navel. Regards, Jay Thompson
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2005 5:41 am    

...Or a not-so-Immaculate Conception