| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Song Would You Play For A Funeral?
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 12:17 pm    

You guys may think I am off my rocker but this topic may get some interesting replies. I have played 2 funerals that were rather different but the songs were all gospel. What reminded me of this was the service for a friend who had been electrocuted. They played "This Is Where The Cowboy Rides Away" since he was a cowboy. What songs have you heard or played for such a service?
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 12:38 pm    

"He Stopped Loving Her Today"

...seriously, I was at a funeral for a friend's father, a man who liked Johnny Cash and Hank Williams, so they played Johnny Cash and Hank Williams songs until it was time for the preacher to talk. I liked it better than the typical "Ave Maria" and "Amazing Grace".

I'd kind of like Beethoven's 6th at mine, ala Soylent Green...or maybe Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie to make them wonder where I'm going...

[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 10 October 2005 at 01:57 PM.]

Ian Finlay

Kenton, UK
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 12:54 pm    

the 17 year old son of friends of ours drowned a few years ago. I believe they played San Antonio Rose, if I remember. I wasn't really paying attention to the music, to be honest.

Ian
Jack Therrell

Conroe, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 1:08 pm    

I have been a Baptist pastor for many years and have conducted many funerals but have never heard a steel at a funeral. I have however conducted a funeral where a violin was played. Because I play a steel and love the sound of the instrument I wouldn't mind it being played at my funeral.How great,thou art or amazing grace would be nice.Funerals are conducted for the living. I think that whatever the family wants, within good taste, is fine.Paul I used to live in Gainesville on broadway street. How are things there now? Jack
J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 1:09 pm    

An uncle of mine passed away years ago and I remember two fellas sang an acoustic version of Silver Wings at the gravesite ceremony.
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 1:10 pm    

I don't play these but I would try to learn Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" or J.S. Bach's "Come Sweetest Death" .

One song I have played in church that would work for a funeral is "A Mighty Fortress Is Our Lord", providing the furneral was for a christian celebrant.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 1:15 pm    

Well, I just played an E9 arrangement of Danny Boy for Winnie Winston's memorial gathering.
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 1:20 pm    

A few yrs. back a friend of mine was killed in a auto accident, her favorite song was
"Angel flying to close to the ground" This is the song her husband requested I play and sing.

Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/5, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 2:18 pm    

"Amazing Grace" seems to be the standard.
Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 3:35 pm    

Two years ago I was requested by my friend to play at his funeral service when he departed. Since he was a steel player, he wanted me to play all country songs. He also requested me to play Mario Lanza's version of I'll Walk With God, as the main song.

Since I don't read music, I had to tab it out. This song doesn't seem to have a main Hook to it so it took me a while to learn it.

One evening I was practicing the song and finally got it right. It was exactly 9:40 pm when the phone rang. It was Phyllis, my friend wife, asking if I had learned the song because Boyd had just passed away. That was a wierd feeling.

At the service the pastor announced the requested song. I pushed the cd play button and the cd skipped. Luckily the pastor had a good sense of humour and fudged it until I fixed the problem.

The steel guitar was barkin' loud and clear in that day. Phyllis got many compliments for having such a different service and I was glad to have been part of it. Blunders & all.
Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Delaronde on 10 October 2005 at 04:37 PM.]

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 3:41 pm    

My grandmother wants me to learn "In the Garden". I'm working on it, I heard there is a Sol Hoopii version of it.
Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 3:41 pm    

My wife is truly blessed with the gift of an angelic voice. She sings many funerals. As many times as I have heard her sing, I can not listen to her sing Amazing Grace without crying. JP
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 4:20 pm    

Jim,I get misty eyed whenever I hear that song no matter who or how it is performed.Now to the matter at hand,I've already told my wife [if I go first] what I want.After all it will be my last gig,and I want it to be upbeat and happy with all my picking buddys there.I know this would'nt seem right for a lot of people,but it will work for me.If someone decides ahead of time what they want,their wish should be granted.
Joy Wofford

Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 4:50 pm    

I've played at a couple of funerals. Done the standard stuff like Amazing Grace, but have also done a funeral with all Celtic songs. Even went to a service once that had a fiddler playing...and not the quiet, sedate stuff either. This guy was makin' the rosin fly! But it was what his friend had requested. What bigger tribute can you pay a departed friend, than to answer his final request?

Play me Somewhere Over The Rainbow sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. It might not be steel but that's what I want at my funeral.
JW Day

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 4:55 pm    

BEING SOMEWHAT OF A SINGER, I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO SING OR PLAY FOR A NUMBER OF FUNERALS. THE HARDEST GIG I EVER HAD WAS PLAYING FOR ONE OF MY BAND MEMBERS THAT I HAD PLAYED WITH FOR MANY YEARS. FOR HIS MAIN SONG, HE REQUESTED,ADDIOUS AMIGO,(PLEASE CORRECT MY SPELLING). AND FOR THE GRAND FINALE HE REQUESTED, ABIDE WITH ME. THY THESE WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND LAYING THERE IN HIS CASKET
John Bresler R.I.P.

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 6:15 pm    

I was at Danny Shields funeral service several years ago and all the music was steel guitar. I believe it was Ron Lashley Sr.'s gospel album. Danny's steel guitar was up front, too, and set the mood for the funeral.

I can tell you, there was not a dry eye in the whole place. Hardly anyone could say anything about Danny without getting all choked up. He's one great guy that will be missed by all of us in the Oregon area.

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 6:52 pm    

Never ever play, Cold Cold Heart!
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2005 7:23 pm    

Well, a good gospel number would be "I'll Fly Away" - sounds good as a steel instrumental, even better with some gospel singers.

A more high church hymn is "For All the Saints." My Dad was a Methodist preacher, and this hymn was very uplifting when we sang it at his funeral.

There are many classical choices. Mozart's Requiem is a natural choice. Supposedly he wrote it shortly before his own death, at the request of a mysterious stranger dressed in gray. But that is a long piece. Mozart's "Masonic Funeral Music" is a reasonable length, and is very stately, beautiful and profound. Wagner's "Siegfied's Funeral Music" is another natural choice. The problem with all these is nobody has a symphony orchestra at their funeral. The "Masonic Funeral Music" is short enough to be bearable as a recording.

But my real choice would be a New Orlean's second line jazz band. I'd want the usual sad gospel numbers and St. James Infirmary going to the graveyard, and of course "When the Saints Go Marching In," from the graveyard ont he way to the big knock down party I'd want at whatever my favorite honky-tonk, juke-joint, or rock club was at the time.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 3:35 am    

Just A Closer Walk With Thee
Rock Of Ages
The Old Rugged Cross
Redeeming Grace
Sheltered In The Arms Of God
How Great Thou Art
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 3:55 am    

"I'm Not Lisa"!
Dan Chroninger

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 4:27 am    

I have played funerals.In the garden works well,if you want an erie song listen to Hal weldon and sonny,s version of lifes Railway to heaven off steel guitars of the grand ole opry
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 4:34 am    

Life's Railway to Heaven
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 4:57 am    

Vince Gill's "Go Rest High Upon That Mountain" (title as close as I can remember it...) is what we played at my mom's funeral.

Theresa G., there's gotta be a story behind that one...

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 11 October 2005 at 05:59 AM.]

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 5:16 am    

"I'm not Lisa...
I'm Theresa...."

I guess it depends on whether you want people to laugh or cry.
I'll be for laughter. Maybe a steel duet:
Jeff Lampert playing 'Stairway to the Stars' and Dave Grafe playing 'Stairway to Heaven.' A Battle of the Steels.

But seriously, folks, I'm going to record Barber's 'Adagio' before I die. They can play it at my own funeral. It expresses all the emotion that a life and death can afford, all the pathos and hope that one life can bring.
Charley Adair

Maxwell, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 6:50 am    

I started singing with older brothers when I was about 5. I've been singing for funerals since that time. One request I could not grant was for my first wife. For years she had said that if she died, she wanted my brothers and me to sing "Tell My Friends". I always told her I could never do it. She died of cancer three years ago, and I could not do it. I'm sure she knew all along that I couldn't.