| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Different B-Bender for Telecaster....
Toby Rider

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2004 10:45 pm    

The hipshot is ideal because it can be activated without having to the strap on the guitar, no pulling on a strap required. Plus you can combine it with the drop-d lever. Very useful, as some many country songs require that Low string to be dropped down to E.

Not to mention it's very reasonable priced and adds little to no weight to your Telecaster.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2004 4:52 am    

Hey Toby, my main Tele has a HipShot bender in it right now. I use the flip lever for the A string and drop it to G as I've got Keith/Scruggs tuners (ala Clarence White) installed on both E strings so I can get an open G tuning all the way across. Do you know Mike Perlowin? He has a HipShot on an electric 12 string guitar. He says he just threads both B strings through the hole and it works fine. I'd like to try that if I could fine a suitable elect. 12 string.

Dan, no I don't have one of those Phil Baugh type units but I wish I did.

For a different type of bender, I made one once after meeting a guy (Steve Oshier) from upstate New York who had a strange unit on his guitar. I was made from a bicycle brake handle with the choke cable. The brake handle was what you hooked your guitar strap to and you'd push down just like a P/W. The choke cable was hooked to a pulling mechanism and it actually worked pretty good. I made mine with a part of an old Emmons cross rod and a ShoBud bell crank and some other items. Mine played pretty easy but didn't stay in tune that well but the one I tried to copy worked very good but the action was kinda stiff. Have a good 'un..JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2004 12:07 pm    

Bump. (Hoping for a reply from Tim Wallis.)
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2004 9:03 pm    

Bump for Timara Benders
Tim Wallis

East Peoria, IL
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2004 7:08 am    

Thanks for the compliment Tim Harr. That means a lot to me coming from such an awesome player!!! I look forward to jamming with Tim Harr soon. If any of you get an opportunity to jam with him don't pass it up. He flat out gets it!

Tim Walis
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 7:42 am    

Well, I did it....I borrowed a very nice Tele from a friend of mine which was equipped with a Parsons/White B-Bender. I took it to the gig last night along with my HipShot equipped Tele just for an on the job comparison. Wow, there was no comparison! The HipShot kicks the P/W's butt big time. I'd forgotton how stiff and uncomfortable they were. I'll probably change my mind about getting a Shelton now. Remember that the HipShot has no spring to fight as it's only the string tension which you're pulling against. I do a lot of subtle half step bends and some harmonic things which I wasn't aware I've been doing. They just weren't possible or were very cumbersome to try on a P/W. I think the HipShot is kinda ugly but I really believe I'm gonna stick with the thing. They're cool...JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2004 10:28 am    

Jerry

Try a 'Glaser' if you have the opportunity - it has an extremely light and deft feel, and the tension is adjustable, too. It's the best I've tried. My old P/W stays in the closet!

RR
Tim Wallis

East Peoria, IL
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 5:10 am    

Hey all, check out the Tate's Drop D Tuner when ya get a chance. www.Axxx.net

Tim
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 5:43 am    

Anyone use the EZBender? Looks good to me...
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 7:59 am    

Just a plug for my buddy Jeff Mosby who installs the Shelton system. Nice dude, does great work, does incredible leather work (straps, etc. etc.) and is also a wicked good guitar player too!!!!!! I really enjoyed the few times I got to play with him at the Bowery when he was with the Bounty Hunters.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 9:16 am    

Well here it is about 8 months later since I first started this post and a lot has changed! On my main Tele I now have a P/W type bender made and installed by Mike Nihen of Fairfax, Va. AKA "Stringpull" and I'm totally happy with the unit. Mike does great work and his turnaround time is fantastic. He only had my guitar for two weeks? I still use a HipShot on my Schecter Strat, a Bigsby Palm Pedal on my Ibanez Artist, and an Epiphone EZ Bender on my Epiphone Sheraton. I still think that if all benders in the world were discontinued except one, I'd hope it would be the Bigsby Palm Pedal. It was my first bender and still my favorite by far....JH in Va.

------------------
It's all on 12, who needs 20!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 4:28 pm    

I just got a BEAUTY of a guitar strap from Jeff Mosby, for a birthday present---Any of you guys want a strap, call Jeff, he's a real good dude, and does incredible work.
But he told me that he no longer installs the Shelton bender--taking too much time away from his other stuff. Too bad, cause the only thing that would look better on my Tele than Jeff's strap, would be Jeff's strap pulling on a bender that HE installed!
db

Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2005 5:40 pm    

Hey Jerry,
I think that these are the best "B-Benders" out there!
I spotted them about 4 years ago.
I direct all "B-Bender" inquiries their way.
They are the least "intrusive" and are not very expensive.
Do you know if they can make a "G" bender or a two-string bender set-up?

------------------
Dan Balde
U-12/8&5, S-7/D 3&1, S-6/E,A & G3