| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What should the gig price tag be?
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 6:44 am    

I have been reading hundreds of posts in here about the difficulties of finding gigs for a steel player or, that many bands do not want to pay anything other than a few bucks for a night's work.

What do you feel would be a fair wage for a steel player to sit in with a band for a night's work?

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 8:07 am    

There either ain't one or there are lots of 'em. As in all marketing and sales, it's whatever the traffic will bear.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 8:27 am    

"Sit In" typically means your are playing for free, as in, we can't afford to hire you for the night, but you're welcome to "sit in" with us.
Often includes one drink per set.
This just my expierience with the "Sit In" term. Others may be different.
Pete B.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 8:28 am    

I don't think any competant improvising player should ever play for less than $25 a set.

Charity gigs and friendlies aside.

But sometimes you take a bunch of gigs cause EVERYBODY in the band needs eating money NOW not later etc.

There is also the local "home gig" for the band, basically a paid practice in a small public place that keeps you tight and is always there.

4 guys / €200 a night is about rock bottom,
and kids get gigs like that... 4 sets $12.50 an hour...

gee, what you pay your plumber...?

Working expirienced players should NOT do this low end..
it set s an aweful precident.
But work's work....

Club owners will screw you best they can one way or another...
Don't help them.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 02 June 2005 at 09:29 AM.]

Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 10:56 am    

Hundred bucks a night is my bottom dollar, and that's if it's local and inside. That's about how everyone else feels around here.

We get $1500 for carnivals and fairs--or $216 a man after sound. Nobody ever bats an eye at that price.

We typically get $200-300 for the duo locally.

[This message was edited by Webb Kline on 02 June 2005 at 11:59 AM.]

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2005 8:58 pm    

What Mon Frere Mr. Donald said. All the way around.

In my case it's 50$.

Converting of course to Cdn.

It was only recently that I did it for less.

Two sorry times out of thousands.

I didn't like the feeling.

EJL
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 7:45 am    

I have just joined a band that contracts to play from 9:30P - 1:00A mostly on week ends and I get $100.00 per gig.

With five musicians, the band leader claims that he can no longer contract his band out for any more than $650.00.

During the 60s & early 70s, I could get around $400.00+ for our shows (three musicians). In those days that was a good price. So when you factor in the difference between the dollar value of that time compared to today's dollar value; that $100.00 per gig I get now works out to about $30.00 back in the 60s - 70s.

We are losing ground big time.

------------------

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 8:06 am    

With MUCH tougher drunk driving laws [people tend not to be as stupid of a night.

So they spend less money
and there is less to pay bands per head
in any given room.

Some places charge at the door, but many don't an must pay the mband on booze percentages.

So WE ARE safer driving home at 2 Am
with less cash in our pockets...
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 8:17 am    

In my experience, in this area, expect $75+-/man for a clubs, and $100 for casuals. In my opinion, that's way too low. Most of the veteran pickers I know won't play for less than $75. Couple of the veteran steelers I know won't do it for less than $100.

[This message was edited by Ben Slaughter on 03 June 2005 at 09:19 AM.]

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2005 10:48 am    

It sounds like most posters are talking about "hired for the gig" money.

I get the impression the original poster is wanting to sit in with a band, and is asking if he should expect to get paid for "Sitting In" for a night (I may be wrong).

In most cases where pay is involved, the phrase "It pays X dollars." or "How much does it pay?" is in the first sentance of the conversation.
At which point the player can decide.

Back in the days before having a kid, when having an open night, I have often asked other bands if I could "Sit In" for the night. Typically they'd say, "Yeah, but we can't pay you anything".
And I say "Cool with Me!"

Maybe I misunderstood the original post, but to me "Sitting In" is like saying "Can I jam with your Band tonight".
In which case, the last thing I would want to do is cause a last minute 5-way split of the 4-piece pay.

Sit In = Playing for fun with buddies and may be for free or may include drink/meal/tips.

Hired for a Gig = Offered an amount of money for a specified gig date/time/place and typically requires reharsal and whatever other logistics are involved.
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 3:29 am    

Pete I saw it as in a freelancer who comes in for a night now and then,
but isn't in the group regular like.

He is sitting in, or in place of another picker.

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 8:31 pm    

If I'm ‘sitting in’ with a band at either their invite or my request, I take for granted it's with no obligation by either party involved. If anyone is so inclined to supply a refreshing drink, I would appreciate it and I expect any of the band members would also! But, as I said; there's no obligation either way! If you're sitting~in, it's for fun and friendship. And you might actually learn something and you might have a chance to insert your favorite ‘new lick’ somewhere that will astound everyone and cause them to ask for your (paid) services on a regular basis! That's rally what you had in mind anyway, isn't it? Ha~Ha¡ Oops(!), slipped again!!!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 9:20 pm    

My rule for a one-night deal is $100 rock bottom, and I usually push for $125 to cover any taxi fare or incidentals. A bar gig can be a long night, and it's best know you're clearing $100 when you get home.
My regular country band charges anywhere from $2,000 to $6,000 for conventions, and $1,200 to $2,000 for club gigs. Make 'em dance, and you'll make the bucks. At least that's been our experience. But then again, I live in Canada where country bands with real steel and fiddle are few and far between, so the people hiring the band are willing to dish out for such a specialty.
Even the people who sit in with us make whatever the split is. We only get people to sit in when we need a replacement, though.
Herman Visser

Rohnert Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2005 9:22 pm    

What it looks like to me is DONT GIVE UP YOUR DAY JOB!!!!!
You better in it for the WINE* WOMEN* MUSIC
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2005 7:30 pm    

Pete, I am not a sit in for the band I now play in. I was asked by the band leader to join the band because he wanted a steel behind the three saxs. At first, I wasn't all that sure about a steel backing saxophones; however, I now know better. The old man knows his music so I just follow where ever he wants me to go.

------------------

db

Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2005 7:36 pm    

The bottom-line has been $300 for 25 years!
It should be at least $500 now !
Let's go on strike !

------------------
Dan Balde
U-12/8&5, S-7/D 3&1, S-6/E,A & G3

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2005 1:59 am    

Well, around here in south Ms., I think most players that are "players" can usually get no less than 100.00 per night. I won't go out and play for less than 100.00 a night unless it's a benefit or to help someone that's been in a bad situation such as a house fire, cancer, etc. I don't mind playing for people but if a place is charging a cover charge to come in whether a person partying or dancing or just there to listen, then the band should be paid. Equipment cost money. I've probably got around 4000.00 of equipment I have to load and set up then tear down and reload and drive home and unload again.
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2005 5:32 pm    

quote:
Sit In = Playing for fun with buddies and may be for free or may include drink/meal/tips.

Hired for a Gig = Offered an amount of money for a specified gig date/time/place and typically requires reharsal and whatever other logistics are involved.

Why should there be misunderstanding here? If you are asked in, get paid what *you're* worth. If you volunteer, take or decline what they offer.