| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great R&R bands. This is of course strictly
Bob Doran

Ames, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 5:09 pm    

personal choice, but i will always like CCR because they came along in the 70's when all the other great rock groups had disappeared, and nothing but heavy metal was going on. ANd because they played country rock, the best of both worlds.
ANd the tunes were just great too.
(Bad Moon Rising is still the most commonly played juke box song of all...)
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 5:57 pm    

I've always liked CCR. They had a clean sound, much like the early Beatles.

To this day there are requests for CCR, mostly Proud Mary. None for the Beatles tho.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 6:41 pm    

If "CCR",or the "Eagles" for that matter,came out today,they'd be considered "Country",by today's standards.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 9:00 pm    

In 1967-68 I worked in the snack bar at a rock club, and saw most of the major bands of the time. Jefferson Airplane, Cream, Traffic, The Doors, etc. Even Jimi Hendrix. (The Hendrix show was a concert in a different venue, but put on by the owners of the club, and all the employees got to go.)

The 2 best rock bands I ever saw live were Bo Diddley, and (don't scoff) the Greatful Dead, with their original line up.

Forget all the nonsense about Jerry Garcia's steel playing and the hype surrounding it. The man was an outstanding guitarist, and on a good night, the band really cooked. I saw them 4 times, and each time I thought they were fantastic.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 9:11 pm    

Quote:
I saw them 4 times, and each time I thought they were fantastic.
Well, sure, but what did you think in the morning??
Bob Doran

Ames, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 10:19 pm    

Mike, you saw all those bands live?
Wow. What an experience.
I always thought that Cassidy guy for the Jefferson Airplane was the most amazing bass player.
From a different planet.
Of course since this is "best ever" night, I offer Motown's James Jamerson as the best bass player, at least as far as creativity and taste is concerned.
Bob
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2005 11:06 pm    

Quote:
you saw all those bands live?

Yep. The only 2 I missed were the Buffalo Springfield, and Big Brother with Janis. I saw EVERYBODY else who was big at the time. The Who, Procol Harum, the Hourglass (with Duane and Greg Allman), Love, Mike Bloomfield's Electric Flag, etc. (The Electric Flag was on the same bill as Hendrix.)

And I even got paid for it.

I also saw the Beatles and the Stones, but that was different. The never played at the club. I bought tickets to see them.

It was a great time time a kid.
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 12:39 am    

quote:
personal choice, but i will always like CCR because they came along in the 70's when all the other great rock groups had disappeared, and nothing but heavy metal was going on. ANd because they played country rock, the best of both worlds.
ANd the tunes were just great too.
(Bad Moon Rising is still the most commonly played juke box song of all...)

I don't think of CCR as a '70's band, but more of a '60's band.

The members of Creedence Clearwater Revival first started playing together in 1959.They signed their record deal in 1967 and had their first release in '68. They recorded their last album in 1970, then in '71 Tom Forgerty left and the rest of the band broke up by '72.
They recorded their first album in 1968, then during '69 and '70 they recorded six more albums.
It is amazing that they wrote and recorded all of those hit records in just over a two year period. Now it takes John Fogerty six years to record one album.

[This message was edited by Alvin Blaine on 01 February 2005 at 12:41 AM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 1:45 am    

Well I remember the 70's as
Deep Purple Machine head,
Jeff Beck orange album,
Almans live a Filmore
Joni Mitchel Court and Spark
Edgar and Johnny
Savoy Brown
The Who Tommy
and Loggins and Messina

Not much seem heavey metla to me Deep Purple was hard blues rock.
Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 4:09 am    

For live shows, two of the best I've seen are The Band and Elvis Costello. Actually, they're pretty good on recordings.

Hey, Bob, my family (both sides) were farmers around Boone and Luther. I still think I belong in Iowa.
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 4:35 am    

Mike, I thought Mike Bloomfield and Electric Flag was a great band. I've got their version of Killing Floor memorized, horn licks, vocal, guitar solo and all!

Mike P., I used to sit at home in eastern NC, look at those concert tour schedules published in Hit Parader, and wish I lived in L.A., Chicago, Dallas, D.C. or NY, so that I could see some of those bands. That would've been very cool. Until about 1970, it was impossible to catch any of those acts without driving 8 hours to DC or Atlanta, which practically no one did back then.

David D., you and I would've been dangerous if we'd known each other in the's 70's. Don't forget Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" album.

Don't forget how hip the Chicago Transit Authority album was at the time (1968). Terry Kath was a killer guitar player, and that's a serious rock album. They recorded so many sappy romantic ballads later that we've forgotten what a great rock band they really were.

On a similar note, I was a serious 3 Dog Night fan. They were a no-nonsense rock band up until they got into the Joy To The World phase. That first album with Chest Fever on it is still one of my favorites. Heavy! Great band, unparalleled live vocal performance. I saw them live about 1972, and they could cut that stuff onstage- it wasn't studio trickery.

Who remembers the late 60's "Super Session" albums with Steven Stills, Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, et. al.?

CCR WAS John Fogerty. He wrote the songs, taught them to the band, did all the singing. That's why his former record company sued him later because he sounded too much like CCR! The truth is that CCR sounded like John Fogerty. I suspect that he could still crank out an album every 6 months if he really wanted to.

The Loggins and Messina albums are still at the top of my list. I listen to them now, and they don't sound dated at all. Great songwriting, solid vocals, super guitar playing and a tight groove. I don't know if the "Live" album is heavily doctored or not, but it certainly sounds like the real deal. If so, it's one of the best live performances ever recorded.

Ken Lang, the way I remember it, very few bands attempted to play Beatles tunes... back then, it was almost impossible to pull them off instrumentally and vocally. Sure, everybody could do a knockoff of Johnny B. Goode, Gloria or In The Midnight Hour... but who would try "And Your Bird Can Sing"? It was Holy Ground. Consequently, I don't think audiences expect bands to be able to play those tunes. But any band will hack its way through Proud Mary. My trio does a Beatles-esque version of "Til' There Was You" and you should see (and hear) the kind of response we get. People start cheering when the vocal kicks in.

There was one little band in Lumberton, NC, where I grew up, that had the Beatles down cold... they were called The Young Ones and, man, they were good- they had it all- vocals, instrumental chops, and "the look". I can remember hearing them for the first time (about 1967)and they were doing "Drive My Car". Just killing it. They were legendary in our part of the country, gigged all the time, a weekly TV show, records, original material, etc. If they'd been in L.A. or San Francisco, they'd have been national artists. Sadly, drugs decimated those guys- and most of them are addicts now, or dead. What talent, and what a waste.

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 01 February 2005 at 04:48 AM.]

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 5:27 am    

I saw Loggins and Messina live on TV,
I had the TV piped through the Klipschhorns with 110w a side..., yeah seriously!

These guys were the tightest band you can imagine.
Sure a variation of solo licks, but lcose in form to the album cuts, the arranged stuff was spot on.

Jim Messina was one of those rare rockers who charted everything and expected it played right.

Blow By Blow for sure, I segued into
Inner Mountaing Flame, 11th House,
Return to Forever, at about that point....

A picker I played with in NYC turned down that gig when Bill Connors lost it, bercause he was playing with the Flecktones piano player at the time, so Al Demeoloa got the gig

Land Of The Midhight Sun... aaaahhhh!

Super Session was cool and I was into Segal Schwal and Blues Breakers at the time too.

ooo , oo o, MOUNTAIN.. Natucket Sleigh Ride.

Yep Rick, we just mighta been dangerous LOL.

I have a feeling will will be doing some playing sometime this year,
unless I miss my guess, or my plane etc.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 01 February 2005 at 05:33 AM.]

Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 5:52 am    

DD,

About '72, my band did the whole Nantucket Sleighride album arrangement- it was about 15 minutes long. And we didn't miss a lick. When we whipped that one out at a gig, some jaws dropped (you gotta take into account the time and place).

"Fly your willow branches, wrap your body 'round my soul. Lay down your reeds and drums on my soft sheets. There are years behind us reaching to the place where our hearts are beating. And I know you're the last true love I'll ever meet." I still remember those words 30 years later. I could sing it right now!

Felix Pappalardi was a great talent, as were all the other guys.

"Vahaevala" is probably my favorite L&M band arrangement, although there are many great tunes in their catalog.

[This message was edited by Rick McDuffie on 01 February 2005 at 06:47 AM.]

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 10:51 am    

I agree with most of the choices sited in this thread, but for me Little Feat tops the list. They were rockers nonpariel in the early 70's and they're still amazing today. Check out their two most recent live recordings: "Down Upon The Suwannee River" (2002) and "High Wire Act" (2003). These recordings aren't lame reunion tour fodder. They're high-energy rock n roll songs performed by veterans willing to "push the envelope" in front of an audience.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 11:07 am    

Count me as another Loggins & Messina fan. Jimmy Messina was the brains of the outfit who went from penning some killer surf instrumentals to L&M, to a producing career. L&M were such a great, tight band with a unique vibe. Al Garth and Jon Clark added so much with their wonderful reed and violin work. Messina played perfect Tele licks that were Cropper-like in their brevity and perfect placement in the arrangments. I was just a year or two too young to catch all the great bands that played The Electric Factory in Philly in the 60's/turn-of-70's. I missed seeing Cream, Hendrix, Stones, Blood Sweat and Tears, Janis Joplin, etc. But ask me some time about all the great Jazz musicians I've seen live - that's another story!
Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 11:43 am    

I vote for the Allman Brothers. I played in a band for a while called the Almost Brothers that did a ton of the Allman's stuff and a lot of Santana and The Band. I used to be able to write our set list real quick and it looked like this every once in a while: The Fillmore East album. When the mood struck we would do either of the first Santana albums from front to back. On a good vocal night could convincingly pull of a dozen or so of The Band's songs. Sigh, I miss that band.
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 2:14 pm    

Andy you for got a little band called POCO...
in between the Surf and L&M

Yeah I also loved Little Feat.
I got some little feat recently and 4 L & M cd's too.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 5:40 pm    

Yeah, POCO! My friend Jon from art school was a rabid POCO fan and eventually design one of their CD covers a few years ago.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2005 6:56 pm    

Three-Dog Night
Guess Who
The Music Machine
Sanford Townsend Band
Orleans
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 4:58 am    

J. Guils Band
Queen
Aerosmith
Johhny Winter And
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 5:15 am    

Not to sound picky, but CCR were still around after 1970, thier last album (without Tom) was Mardi Gras from 1972, and in 1973 John did the Blue Ridge Rangers album of the same title where he played practically every instrument.

Is this just limited to late 1960s to early 1970s rock, I mean.. the Stooges, the MC5, The Radio Birdman, the Saints, Redbone, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Budgie, Black Sabbath, Atomic Rooster..anyone?
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 10:49 am    

Cactus: Jim McCarty,Tim Bogert,Carmine Appice

Wilderness Road (from Chicago?)

Crank (Washington DC)

Tractor (Washington DC)

Cherry People (Washington DC)

Grin (Washington DC)(Nils Lofgrin's band pre Neil Young)

Rosslyn Mountain Boys
all of which should have been nationally known acts IMO...

All Time Best show I saw live in the 70's was Squeeze (w/ Jools Holland) opening for Elvis Costello & The Attractions

Other fave shows:
several POCO shows with Jim Messina/Tim Schmidt/Furay/Young/Grantham lineup

Little Feat twice...
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 11:03 am    

Beck, Bogert, & Appice
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 12:29 pm    

Cosmos Factory was the 3rd album I ever bought, preceded by (2nd) The Best of Buffalo Springfield and (1st) Iron Butterfly (the one with Inna Godda Davida on it). These LP's got me thru my SAT's.

4th LP was Best of Cream, then it's all a haze (purple).
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2005 1:08 pm    

For me, The Band. I think they win in both the 'brilliance' and 'influence' departments. Lots of other choices I like here, but I think The Band brought R&R out of a very self-absorbed period and made it real again. That thread, while clearly not the main thread of popular music anymore, is still strong. Of course, I love CCR. Great songs, great production, no pretentious nonsense. Just good, clean rock and roll.