| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seeing E13 and C#m7 tunings laying on top of C6
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 10:16 am    

One thing I've been doing lately on 6 string lap steels, is comparing lead lines and chords from C6 and seeing where they are on Leon's E13 and Sol's C#m7. The top 4 strings of E13 are the same intervals as the middle strings of C6, anything you do on strings 2,3,4,5 of C6 fits exactly on strings 1,2,3,4 of E13. 12th fret of C6 is the 8th fret of E13. C#m7 tuning has certain chord voicings that are moved all around the neck. Basil sent me a book on Dick McIntire's basic approaches and I realized that the same voicings can be found on C6, but on different strings. I have come to understand that learning different tunings that have certain cliche chord voicings etc, can be played on C6 to grab that feel of the other tunings. This helps in understanding Leons E13 tuning alot if you already play C6. I try and see C6 and the chords that JB came up with for that tuning as the foundation and try and find the same arrangement of intervals on other necks and vice versa. I am surprised that Leon's E13 tuning and C#m7 doesn't have any real studies out there that I have been able to find. Does anybody else use this approach for learning other tunings?

[This message was edited by Jesse Pearson on 04 January 2004 at 02:24 PM.]

Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 12:28 pm    

Me too, except for me it's the other way around.
After playing regular and bottleneck guitar for 30 years it was pretty natural for me to go to the 'E' based tunings when I got my first 6 string lap steel.
Now that I have bought an '8' I have tuned it to E13 and find it easy to navigate in, and then I have a 6-string in C6 for learning that tuning on.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 04 January 2004 at 12:28 PM.]

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2004 7:45 am    

I use a similar approach, but I tend to be much more intuitive about it. I don't think too much about the actual notes. I just start playing and in a little time discover most of what you are talking about, so that I can play similar stuff in the tunings you mentioned. The "6th" tunings are so similar it makes it easy.

I've been playing a amalgam of Leon's E13 and C13 lately on my Stringmaster that is just the ticket for the C6 player wanting to get some darker, jazzier sounds of E13 and still have that 3rd on top:

C Bb D E G A C E (low to high)

Cheers,
Bill