Author Topic:  ...
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2003 7:42 pm    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 17 Jan 2018 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2003 5:16 am    

Finally! A tuning I can use in both keys!

I only have a 7 string, so I got my Dremel out and cut slots so the 4 octave C strings can be closer together and use the same tuning machine. It works best if you use Jerry Byrd's trick of using the same guage string for all 4 octaves. Email Jeff for the guages.

I might rename this tuning after myself, but call it Em(maj7) 9 11 b5/#5 as I find it easier to pronounce. Technically, I did discover the tuning (although in the above post).

Can someone post a JI tuning chart for those C strings? My cat keeps clawing my leg whenever I play that C cluster tuned ET...
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2003 8:39 am    

I think Al Gore invented that tuning.

Ron
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2004 6:28 pm    

Stardust, Body & Soul, and Great Balls of Fire? Interesting medley...you'll have to make a WAV file for us, Jeff. I would never have thought Great Balls of Fire would mix well with the other two.
Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 12:17 am    

If this is a comment aimed at JB, let me first say that I give him the benifit of the doubt with inventing C6, since no one else has made the claim, (though I have heard Jules A'See(sorry for the spelling) was playing it about the same time, too).

He has said that he has the earliest RECORDED evidence of C6, as early as 1938.

Of course we all have tunings we've thought of that no one else has before, but few reach the "standard" status as E13, A6, E9, and of course, C6.

Technically, you don't invent a tuning, but DISCOVER it, considering you have an average of 8 strings and a standard of 12 notes, it is only a matter of time before someone finds everything out, and if you took out a calculator, you could find exactly how many 8 string tunings are possoble. It would be in the 1000's, but it is possible.

Anyways,
Chris Scruggs
John Hinsley

Cranston, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 3:00 am    

Jeff, the banjoists firmly believe that the G tuning has the status of holy writ, being provided directly by divine inspiration and given to this suffering world through the agency of Earl Scruggs. The other tunings are used only to delay the set while we re-tune and get our band mates upset that we take so long and never seem to get it exactly right. There is another school of thought (certainly heretical) that banjos are never tuned after leaving the factory.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2004 9:53 pm    

Tunings are probably discovered by different players simultaniously with each unaware the other had discovered it.

Rick