| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMA Awards--Big & Rich
Zach Parish

Asbury, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 12:43 pm    

I dont know about everyone else, but I wanted to watch a COUNTRY music show last night. To bad for me cause thats not what I got. Are Big & Rich serious? What is the deal with the rapper? I hate rap with a passion. I just was really disappointed to see these guys dancing around like idiots. So much for good country music.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 12:54 pm    

I'm sure the band is top notch. My point was that I just didn't care for the B&R song or how they did it. Rap just aint my bag. Gretchen had a cool sound and I actually got to hear her band and they did great. Who could hear the band in a song like b&r did? I apologize if my first post here offended anyone. That wasn't my intention.

I'm definately going to buy Gretchen's cd and I may swallow hard and buy B&R's cd too just so I can hear what they're really like. I enjoy a wide range of music. Classic rock and classic country are what I really like. Rap I just cannot enjoy period.

Rick
P.S. Edited because of offensive content. My bad.

[This message was edited by Rick Garrett on 13 November 2004 at 02:34 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 1:01 pm    

Really? I thought Big & Rich was great, especially the dwarf.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 1:14 pm    

Me too!
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 1:21 pm    

The dwarf was the BEST part!!!
Erv
Zach Parish

Asbury, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 2:14 pm    

A dwarf dancing around does not equal country music.
Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 2:48 pm    

yup its the distillation of everything bad in rock and country. And the dwarf thing is actually pretty dumb and demeaning, (to dwarves anyway, and they have been doing so well after the lord of the rings thing)ill stop short of calling it offensive because I sometimes laugh at people being demeaned. why didnt they just put someone up there that had thier arms and legs blown off and let em float in a kiddie pool, that would have been hilarious. Especially if you filled the pool with something other than water. The good news is that it doesnt appear to last, Trick Pony is on the ropes from what i have heard, so we got that going for us, which is nice.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 2:54 pm    

Montgomery Gentry was a rock show, not country. Who are they kidding? I have to agree with you about Big & Rich. Wrong beat boys.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 10 November 2004 at 02:56 PM.]

Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 2:57 pm    

it wasnt even that, i dont know what it was, more like a geek white trash show, really unbelievable, oh but wait they had a chain mic stand and guitar strap, oh ya, my bad, they must be cool!!!
Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 3:08 pm    

Maybe we could do a benefit to get the drummer a shirt,MTV's where they belong but they want be here long...thank goodness...CM
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 3:38 pm    

Like it or not, rap is a big (though not necessarily good) influence on society today, especially suburban and urban society. In the big cities, just check out the ultra baggy Levi pants, the expensive (but unlaced) athletic shoes, and the new English dialect! With the growing minority population in this country, many of our hallowed customs, arts, and styles are fading fast, music's no exception. The old ideals about minorities being gradually assimilated into our (conservative?) culture are gone, and minorities now celebrate anything different and (to us), outlandish. They seek things they can call "their own" and that will uniquely identify them, thereby seeking to promote a revolution in style, in music, and in the other arts, as well.

Like it or not, it's happening.

Jesse Harris

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 4:11 pm    

as far as I can see Big and Rich are the problem, not the minorities, they certainly arent teh ones butchering county music, its whitey all the way on that one.
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 4:49 pm    

Waitaminnit....did they REALLY have a dwarf onstage?

Shades of Stonehenge!

... Dminor, the saddest of all keys.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 5:12 pm    

Well now, did you really think you could tune in and watch the CMA awards and hear real country music? Most of us are just not ready for these kind of changes.

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 12 November 2004 at 10:10 AM.]

Zach Parish

Asbury, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 5:24 pm    

Well maybe we should petition to have the name changed. COUNTY Music Awards just doesn't fit anymore.
Jimmy Lewis

Harrisonburg, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 6:07 pm    

I will make just one comment here. Most television sets are capable of having the channel changed and they have an on and OFF BUTTON feel free to use them. If you don't like what is being shown on one channel change it and STOP griping about it. This is a steel guitar forum with a music section for discussing music NOT for bashing someone for being different.
Don Joslin

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 6:30 pm    

Um...what Jimmy said!

Don

------------------
My favorite baseball team is the Minnesota Twins...
-------- ...my second favorite is whoever is playing the Yankees!
Zach Parish

Asbury, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 8:03 pm    

Jimmy, you are right. This section is about discussing music. We are discussing how country music has gone to pot. I realize everyone is different and I dont mean to bash anyone, but last night's show was one pitiful excuse for country music. I just call it like I see it.
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2004 11:29 pm    

I didn't get to see the show. Our band had a gig to play. The only thing I actually know about "Big and Rich" is from a tape our band leader played for me a few weeks ago. I don't think it was from a CD,,,I'm not sure,,,it may have been from a live gig somewhere. It was three tunes,,,they were all big band swing tunes and man, I'm here to tell ya, those guys were really cookin' some serious swing sounds. Don't know who the steel player was, but he was about as good as I've heard in a long time.
If they pulled off the kind of junk you guys are talking about on the Awards Show I'd be real dissapointed too.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 4:47 am    

Country / Rap = CRAP
Enough Said!
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 5:11 am    

Every time something offensive turned up on the awards, I switched over to a Bravo feature on Johnny Cash. Perfect.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 5:15 am    

I'm no genious but I was smart enough to never even consider watching the show. Every year, for about 5 years now, this thread is the same except the acts are different.

I go with that remark about the OFF button. Slap Jake Hooker, Dale Watson, Justin Trevino, George Strait and Johnny Bush in the CD player had enjoy a 5-disc Texas shuffle.

------------------
HagFan

J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 5:53 am    

The sad reality is that "country" kids that ten years ago would have been listining to George Strait, now listen to rap on a regular basis. I live in a rural part of Texas and this is what you hear coming from teenage pickups . And I'm talking about boys wearing Wranglers and driving tractors part time! Go figure.
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 7:46 am    

This is one of the most over discussed topics in this forum. It always has been.

The solution is if this music was marketed as something else other than country..most of us would feel better.

I enjoy the music. I do. I do however have a huge problem with it being marketed as Country.
This is the issue. It is the label of "Country" that people have a problem with.

Maybe?
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2004 8:17 am    

I worked at Opryland one season with John Rich['92]. And he was a good clean cut kid with with a great tenor voice who was into Vince Gill and bluegrass music. I remember him telling me that he wouldn't sell out and do that rock crap. Everytime I hear "Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy" I want to find him and remind him of that statement.

Sweeney