| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Django play-alongs
Bob Markison

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2004 6:17 am    

Greetings to all. This thread is for Django lovers. Over the past couple of years I've acquired the great play-alongs put out by this fine trio: http://www.robinnolantrio.com/Books/gjb.htm
These are wonderful book/CD play-alongs for standard guitar - complete with tab and chord boxes. They are all beautifully done, (no drum machines) and the material transfers very well to steel guitar - Nuages is a favorite. The tunes are a joy to play on steel guitar (currently using 8str. C6th). Volume 1 alone includes Djangology, Minor Swing, It Don't Mean a Thing, Django's Castle, Sweet Georgia Brown, Honeysuckle Rose, Lady Be Good, Nuages, Douce Ambience, Blues for Ike, and Dark Eyes. I don't know these musicians, but we have friends in common, and all agree that these are some of Europe's finest. Just passing it along. Best regards to all. - Bob
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2004 8:02 am    

Thanks Bob. I was just about to buy it when I realized that it cost (after conversion from euro to $$) $40. Just enough to make me stop the impulse purchase and wait until it is a procrastinated purchase ('cause I expect I'm going to get it one way or another).
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2004 10:02 am    

Aw, who am I kidding. Just ordered #1. Thanks, Bob.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2004 10:18 am    

Jon, Good move.
Until well after the election and the markets get a clue on who ever win's fiscal policy,
the euro dollar ratio will stay ridiculously out of whack.

So might as well just plunge.

I regularly play all but Django's Castle from CD one.
Chateau de Django comes up once in awhile.

I haven't seen the books, but if the transcriptions are real Django,
there is much to be learned.

The Gig book seems cool. I will mark it for later.
Enjoy!

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 03 October 2004 at 11:19 AM.]

Bob Markison

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2004 10:16 pm    

Jon - Sorry about the price. I remember they cost less when I got them a while ago. David is right, the euro dollar is misbehaving. Anyway, these book/CD's are a real pleasure. After procrastinating for too long, I solidified my own rhythm guitar playing by alternating standard guitar and lap steel as I work with the material. I know there's no substitute for playing along with Django and the other masters directly from their original recordings. but these play alongs are gems. -Bob
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2004 4:54 am    

These books also have great cover artwork as well as some interesting points and information.

This is a great instruction tool if you want to learn these tunes. Robin plays the unadorned head and then provides 2 rythymn tracks. One at a slow tempo, and 1 at a faster tempo.

My only beef is that it is written in guitar tablature. There is no standard notation. Since I don't play guitar, it's more work for me. But, you love it, so you do it.