| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Haggard speaks out on Chicks/TK
Don Joslin

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 7:04 am    

There's probably a few on this forum that will not believe the following from Merle Haggard's website...

Quote:
I don't even know the Dixie chicks, but I find it an insult for all the men and women who fought and died in past wars when almost the majority of America jumped down their throats for voicing an opinion. It was like a verbal witch-hunt and lynching. Whether I agree with their comments or not has no bearing. And in the same breath let me say that I have become a fan of this new little kid, Toby Keith. There is some humor in me calling Toby Keith little. God bless this great country and I pray he keeps a close eye on us in these last days. And God knows the headlines of today surely indicate that we're living in that time now.

CLICK HERE to read the entire editorial.

Don

------------------
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it! ~ Yogi Berra

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 11:17 am    

That's been there for awhile and I've said before that I think Hag is completly wrong about the public reaction to the Chicks. People disagreed with what she said and especially where she said it. No one ever denied her right to say it. Natalie had the mic for her singing not for her political speech. Don't expect all fans to sit still for whatever the celeb wants to say.

The public reaction--boycotts, etc.-- was justified in that it's our only way to show disagreement. The average citizen does not have ready access to the microphone of big media like celebrities do. I suspect Natalie accepted the cheers of the London crowd that night. How are they more legitimate than the boos in NYC?

If your going to step up to the mic and enter into political discourse then don't be surprised at the outcome. It may be backlash against your pocket book and career. Celebs don't seem to mind when we rush to buy a political work we agree with, so why not "Shutup and Sing".

All indications are that Hag also disagrees somewhat with what she said.

------------------
HagFan

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 11:26 am    

I find it absolutely hilarious that there were radio stations in the south steamrolling over Dixie Chicks CDs and having people come out to a public gathering to watch the destruction of their CDs, posters, etc.

Something's a bit backwards in some parts of this country. These were the same places that saw it fit to do the same thing to Beatles CDs 35 years ago.....boy, THAT showed 'em!

BWAHAHAHAH! I swear this stuff just kills me!

Let's not rewrite history....yes, there were people who disagreed with what Natalie said, but the demonstrations, protests, media uproar, etc. stemmed from the fact that she was being "anti-American" for not supporting the war or George W. The slander was that not supporting Dubya equated to not supporting America....in which case, half of this country would then be "anti-American". TK crossed the line showing a doctored pic of Natalie and Saddam on the big screen behind him in his concerts.....yet you don't see liberals steamrolling over TK CDs....

Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Alterio on 23 September 2004 at 12:27 PM.]

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 11:40 am    

Quote:
...Beatles CDs 35 years ago...

Yeah, I have some of those old black 12" Beatles CDs...but they don't fit in my new CD player...

------------------

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 11:46 am    

Oops

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 12:28 pm    

Mark, I have a sorta similiar situation, my cd's sound horrible on my turntable!!!!!
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2004 12:51 pm    

Shhh....I think I hear the door closing