| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  June Carter Cash "Wildwood Flower"
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 10:07 am    

I went to the Public Library the other day to see what they had in CD's to check out and this was one of them that I'd never heard so I took it home and I'm so glad I did. This is one great recording. It's so simple it's beautiful. Here's an old woman from the Royal Family of Country Music who's voice was faltering and out of tune on occasion but still had that magic to it. Johnny Cash is in the background a lot and even sings a couple of duets with her. The whole CD features the great old timey guitar of Norman Blake and he's too cool. I've gotten caught up in trying to play the more complex stuff that I think I'd forgotten just how much beauty and feeling there was in the simple things. One of my all time favorites of old was "Storms are on the Ocean" and June nailed it. I listened in a dark room with a hot cup of coffee and the stereo turned up and it sent chills up my spine. I'm going to go back and try to find some more of this old stuff for sure. There's probably a lot of folks who'd think this stuff was primitive and corny but not me. It's as legitimate as anything out there and I love it!!! Have a good 'un, JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Wayne Carver

Martinez, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 10:22 am    

I like the old timey stuff to. Have you ever heard of the current band "Freakwater"? They have the old timey sound down pretty good.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 12:44 pm    

It's always nice to re-discover the beauty of simplicity. I admire the artist that can say more with less. Good post, Jerry!
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 2:18 pm    

Jerry,

How about trying out Iris Dement and her two records "Infamous Angel" and "My Life". She really has a unique voice (some like it, like me), some don't.

Especially the old Carter Family song "Troublesome Waters" is hauntingly beautiful, it has some awesome dobro playing by Al Perkins. This one always gives me chills!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
R. L. Jones

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 7:23 pm    

Walter , I have both of these Albums , they are great, my kind of mustc , but shes too country to stay up front .

Isure enjoted her Mother singing

R. L. Jones
Al Johnson

Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 11:52 am    

Iris has 3 cds saw her in person once great writer singing took me longer to go with plays piano and guitar. Al
Dennis Atkins

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 1:59 pm    

I bought this CD when it first appeared, and I have never regretted it either. If you played this on a computer, you were able to view the enhanced portion of the CD, which contained some video of June and the gang recording some of the music, as well as a tour of the old home place, and some of the stories about Mother Maybelle, Sara and A.P. This is a truly great CD of a lost generation. If you don't own it, you should go get it.

Dennis

------------------
MSA S-10 Sidekick
Gorilla Amp with Digitech RP100 Processor
pedalman@msn.com
www.geocities.com/mnpedalman/index.html

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2004 5:55 am    

Iris Dement has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard. I first heard of her when I saw Merle Haggard on TV mentioning her and later I heard some of her stuff on Public Radio. There's a lot of great stuff on Public Radio these days. I don't agree with their politics but the programs like "Prarie Home Companion" and others are great. I've heard Iris Dement on PHC a few times already. I just went back and listened to a CD I have of old Carter Family tunes and that stuff's really cool. Let's you see where it all started. Mother Maybelle was pretty unique for her time on that Gibson. Another artist I really enjoy is Gillian Welch and I forgot his name but her partner who sings harmony and plays lead on that old archtop is tops. Have a great day...JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2004 2:27 pm    

Jerry, her partner is David Rawlings. You are right, they did put out some great stuff!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------

[This message was edited by Walter Stettner on 27 August 2004 at 03:28 PM.]