| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Islands in trouble, Country music to the rescue?
Jon Moody

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 6:33 pm    

Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot, and I mean a lot, of Island, Beach, Vacation related songs in country music in past year or so? Has country music taken on a new roll as tourism stimultor for island and beach vactaions? Here are just a few I can think of off the top of my head:
five o'clock somewhere - Alan Jackson
When the sun goes down - Kenny Chesney
No shoes, no shirt, no problems - Kenny Chesney
Some Beach - Blake Shelton
Mexico - Toby Keith's new one.
Girls Gone Wild - Travis Tritt
and on and on..

plus all the videos that have a beach/island theme even if the song has nothing to do with it. And apparently Jimmy Buffet is now a "Country Artist"?
Now this is not to start a "new music bashing" post, and not to say that it is all a bad thing; some of the songs are pretty good songs. I am just whondering what is driving all this?
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2004 3:02 am    

Given the fullblown pimp/hooker relationship between corporate sponsors and the music biz these days, I wouldn't be surprised if some airlines, tourism bureaus and/or suntan lotion manufacturers were behind it all. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT trying to manipulate you.... Nubile young girls in bikinis seem to help sell lots of other things, too.
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2004 7:43 am    

I think it's part of the follow-the-leader mentality. If one sells, there's a stampede of duplication.
Remember a couple of years ago when Kenny C and Tim McG were both coincidentally meeting long lost loves, singing Bobby McGee on the hood of their car, with Bar-b-que stains on their white T-shirts ? The similarities between the two songs was...disappointing.
Some pop music just reeks of manipulation.
-John

------------------
www.ottawajazz.com
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2004 7:57 am    

John
Of course it's ridiculous for old farts like ourselves to even contemplate nowadays, but as I recall, there are a lot worse things to have happen to you than manipulation by a nubile young woman in a bikini.

If I were a younger man... remembering what was important to me as a younger man ..., I'd be ALL OVER that Kenny Chesney gig!!!

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association