| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Charlie Waller, R.I.P.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 4:57 pm    

I got a couple of e-mails today, regarding the passing of one of the true greats of bluegrass music, Charlie Waller, one of the founders of the Country Gentlemen---who, BTW, featured Mike Auldridge on a lot of material, and introduced another dobro great to the world--a teenager named Jerry Douglas.
Charlie had a very distinctive voice, and a rhythm guitar style that was incomparable, except maybe to Jimmy Martin.
Charlie was a great, will be missed, and prayers to his survivors.
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 9:30 pm    

I heard about this earlier this week. And you know what's strange is one of the old Country Gentlemen bass players, Eddie McGlothlin who was a dear friend of mine since I was a teenager died last week. It's a sad reality that these guys are getting older and passing away. The C.G. were one of the greatest bands the bluegrass genre will ever know.

Mike Sweeney
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2004 12:01 am    

Charlie Waller was always among my favorites as a bluegrass singer, his style was different from most others who sang in the high pitched style of Mr. Monroe.

Too sad to hear about that!

Kind regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Charles Walker

Chester, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 2:42 pm    

It's sad to hear of the passing of Charlie because he held a good spot in my heart as my brother Ray and I had the the great pleasure of meeting Charlie and the rest of the group when we did a show with Stonewall Jackson well over 30 year's ago. Stonewall had the big bus and we all had a cinder block room to dress and get ready for the show. Charlie was not only super talented but a very gracious and kind man. I will ask tonight that CREATOR take extra special care with one of our legend's