| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Williams 111
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 2:14 am    

I saw a one hour special the other night on PBS about the late great Hank Williams Sr. Man did that music take me back. In my honest opinion NOBODY could write or sing with such pure emotion as Hank could. The program had all of his old hits on it along with Don Helms and that Gibson concole and one part of the show had Don driving an old Packard that the band used to tour in. The show reminded me of St. Louis a couple years back when Don Helms played that very guitar along with Lloyd Green for a set and it was THE most emotional steel guitar moments I've ever set through.

Now back to the reason for this post. They had Hank the 3rd on that show. I understand he's mostly into head banger music right now but during the program he grabbed an acoustic guitar and played along with a couple other guys while he was singing some of his grand dads old songs. THAT WAS AWESOME!! Not only did he remind you of Hank Sr. in appearance but folks I'm tellin you this kid sounds way more like his grand daddy than Hank Jr. ever did. First thing I noticed was the raw and pure emotion and soul coming out as he lifted his voice on those old songs. I was blown away! Looked like Hank was back Im telling you and it raised whats left of the hair on my head. Incredible! Anybody else see that?

Rick Garrett

[This message was edited by Rick GM on 06 August 2004 at 03:15 AM.]

Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 7:09 am    

Any IIIrd generation Garrett’s playing steel yet?
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 8:25 am    

Not yet man but a second generation is starting up again. That would be me Mr. Reece Anderson is going to teach me how to play like Robert Randolph! HAHAHAHA

Rick Garrett
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 8:49 am    

Rick,
Then you could be a head banger too!!
Erv
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 12:25 pm    

Rick,
Check out Hank III's "Risin'Outlaw"
CD.There are a few cuts I think you will enjoy. Most of Hank III's shows are 50%
country and 50% rockin,head bangin,whatever you want to call it.Not really my cup of tea but,he does it well. But I really enjoy the way he does the more traditional country. I agree that he sounds and looks a lot like the "Master" and is also a fine songwriter in his own rite. Plus, Kayton Roberts is a Fine steel player.Worth a listen.IMHO.

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII,Nash 400,
TC Electronics M300.
"Kindly keep it Country"

Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 1:24 pm    

I saw Hank III in Phoenix last year and was amazed. Helooked and sounded like Hank Sr. except louder and with even more attitude!

Not everbody's cup of tea, but I loved it.

t
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 5:08 pm    

Sounds like...NOW is the time we need a movie about Hank Sr. Hank 3 could play the lead of course.

Pee on all those crappy made for TV drivel things that have gone before.

The problem: Only me and you would go see it.
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2004 8:10 pm    

Hey Ken, I'd Shore as heck go wid ya bro !!

------------------
JUST 'CAUSE I STEEL, DON'T MAKE ME A THIEF www.geocities.com/squire592001/jason.html

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 2:01 am    

Thanks Larry, I'll check out that album.

Hey Erv, man Im too old to bang my head anymore. Its not as hard as it used to be when I was a kid.

I do still enjoy some of the old classic rock but steel has stolen my heart now. All the old Hank songs I heard on that show the other night really took me back to a simpler place in time. Classic country and classic Rock with some blues thrown in for good measure is what I like!

Rick Garrett
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 6:16 am    

Who's the gal that went to court and proved that she was an illegitimate daughter of Hank Senior. Conceived after he and Miss Audrey split the sheets. Maybe her and Hank III could go on the road as a duet. I'd even pay $2 to go hear that!
Erv
Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 8:27 am    

She goes by the name "Jett Williams". She played at a festival here a few weeks ago.
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 12:24 pm    

She was at St Louis a couple years ago too.
JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2004 12:42 pm    

Jett Is My Friend and I Love Her Shows. SONNY.

------------------
J W Hock

Anderson, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 9:34 am    

Rick GM
Skip Risin Outlaw and get his second CD "Lovesick, Broke and Driftin" . It's better produced, with better songs and better musically. (Krayton Roberts on steel!) Even HankIII disowns his first CD. In his words it "sucks".
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 1:04 pm    

Check out Wayne "the Train" Hancock if you want to hear someone else that sounds a whole lot like Hank Sr. I've got three of his CD's and love them all. All accompanied by non-pedal steel (Lloyd Maines/Jeremy Wakefield). I never realized what a great non-pedal player Lloyd was until I heard him on one of Wayne's CD's. Imagine Hanks Sr. doing rockabilly with a steel in the band... That's kind of what you get with Wayne. Although, he does some songs that are very much in the tradition of Hank Sr. IMHO of course.

As for the subject at hand, I much prefer Hank III's more traditional music. I'm not into the "punk" stuff that he does. To my ears, it just does not fit his voice.

Respectfully,
Dave Burr
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 2:08 am    

Thanks Dave I'll check out that cd. I love Hanks old stuff. I notice you're from Tyler. Are you a member of the Steel club here? If so I might get to meet you on Sunday. The wife and I are planning on making the meeting on the 15th so we can hear my friend Jody Sanders play again.

Rick Garrett
Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 6:24 am    

I agree about Wayne The Train Hancock. What a great sound! We played a gig with he and his band the other night. He didn't have a steeler with him, but I noticed he was paying very close attention to me when I played. After the gig, I was the only player he complimented. Turns out, he is a very big fan of the steel guitar. I stayed around and caught his first set. I was blown away! HE only had a 3 piece band. He did more with 2 guitars and a doghouse bass than most bands can do with 6 pieces. I wish I would have had an old 8 string steel, I would have loved to sit in with them. Catch him if you get the chance.

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

"Do Right, and Fear No Man"
Ronald Reagan
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 8:02 am    

Thanks Wayne and Mark for pointing out another cd I gotta check out. Mark it sounds like you did a good job on your steel man. Congrats!!

Rick Garrett
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 8:18 am    

I love Hank III's stuff. He's pretty cool for a young dude and get's the job done in both authentic country and rock. As far as Jett Williams goes, we had her for a guest a few years back for the Virginia Country Music Association's annual George D. Hay banquet and dance. She had some of Hank Sr's old players with her and the band sounded pretty dang good. Ol' Jett wasn't anywhere near the caliber of her band members though and was clearly living on her "dad's" name. On a couple of tunes I thought she'd have to practice a good while to get good enough to where you could say she sucked...... Back to Hank III..What's the thing about him not getting along with his father? Does anyone know anything about that? Thanks, JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 10:46 am    

Jet opened the 2000 ISGC and she was great.
Don Helms was in her band.