| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HAGGARD Like Never Before
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2003 6:06 am    

None of that thumping bass in Merle's rhythm section. Unfortunately, no steel intros either and steel--tame steel-- only on 2 or 3 cuts.

Still, I can't help but enjoy all Merle's songs. He even put a little note under each song on the list explaining what prompted him to write each.

For the most part you'll hear the rich baratone but in a couple instances the shortness of breath and range creep in and he covers with sort of a throaty growling.

Merle unabashedly goes political on 3 cuts, but nothing as cut-and-dried or in-your-face as some of his early political songs. Hag seems as politically engaged as ever but comes across as a more meek and mellow "soldier".

It's nice to read Merle's writing in the liner notes. As in his most recent book--My House of Memories-- I can see that faith and family are a greater part of his life nowadays. I guess Mama Tried... and succeeded more than she ever knew. He now takes great pride in his wife and children and it's in his songs.

He continues a tendency towards a blues style in a song or two. "Garbage Man" is a cajun blues tune that he just describes simply as "a fun song".

Oh, and finally we get to hear all the words to Reno Blues (Philadelphia Lawyer) with some help from Willie.

A lot of the great guitars, songwriting, tight arrangements with a blending of horns and fiddles, and the vocal style that made him famous. I just wish he'd cut Norm loose on an intro or two.

------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 01 October 2003 at 07:29 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2003 9:48 am    

I haven't heard the album yet, but I believe one of the reasons Norm is so effective is because of how little he plays. Even on the old albums, you listen, and listen, and listen, "hey!! no steel!!" But then it does come in at the perfect spot with a combination of notes or phrases that somehow perfectly fit the song. I haven't been playing long, but I find the longer I play, the less I play when on the bandstand. This is something I attribute to listening to and admiring Mr. Hamlet's playing. Thank you for the free lesson Norm!!!!

[This message was edited by Chris Forbes on 02 October 2003 at 04:05 AM.]

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2003 12:10 pm    

That's very true, Chris. Norm is a fantastic backup player -- the singer is not to be upstaged by the band. And on the solo breaks Norm shines with the best of them. The best example is the LIVE AT BILLY BOB'S TEXAS album. More steel on that one album than any three Hag albums.

Oh, and that 2nd "T" in Hamlet is overplaying.
------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 01 October 2003 at 01:11 PM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2003 3:04 am    

LOL!!! thanks Ron!! that's funny!! I'll edit my mistake, silly me, I hang my head in shame.
Adrian Wulff

Portland, OR, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2003 12:07 pm    

I just got the album yesterday, and had to borrow a buddy's car to get it. I was a little disappointed overall. I'm a huge Hag fan and think he wrote the book on putting together great players,singing country,writing songs, etc.

But the production sounds rough and there isn't enough steel or lead guitar (cool to see that Norm Stephens is still working with him).

I hope he turns out some more albums over the next few years, he' one of the last living legends.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2003 10:49 am    

I've listened the album a lot more now and have really enjoyed it. I can't keep a straight face whenever I play "Garbage Man", especially if anyone else is listening with me. That song is so simple -- 9-words-- and yet I find it incredibly entertaining, including the girl's remark at the end. Just would never have imagined that as a Haggard creation. His young family must be keeping him hip.

The down side of "The Down Side" is that it's too short! Every once in awhile he does that. You just get into the groove and the song ends at 1:59. Jeeze! Throw in an break and repeat the 1st verse. Gosh! Am I telling Merle how to write songs? ... any a$$hole with keyboard... Seriously, I wish that one were longer. I really like it. Another 2-minute Hag song was "A Bed of Roses" on the "Going Where The Lonely Go" album.

------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 06 October 2003 at 11:50 AM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2003 11:06 am    

"There oughta be a law"

Every singer should have to make each cut on an album minus at least one of his regular members. Yes, go down the line; Ok drummer you lay out on this one, lead guitar we don't need you on this one; bass man, not this one; piano player, sorry can't use you on this cut; back up singer(s)---sorry, ect, etc, and then repeat the above not only on every album, but every personal appearance!! or face a judge of steel guitar greats wearing robes and hairpieces made of "steel".

In addition, they would have to lay out or additional cuts; if their level exceeds a given loudness. The "steel" judges would establish this level and it would be an unbreakable rule in the entire recording world Note: the steels would be exempt from the loudness rule.

I jes wunder if'n dis was da case, if'n there wud be some changes made in the ole town tonight?

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 06 October 2003 at 12:19 PM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2003 8:38 am    

Hmmm, that's an interesting proposition ya got there Carl. I'd like to see that actually happen, but on certain albums I've heard, I would have liked the singer to lay out on all of the songs!!!
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2003 3:01 pm    

Went to see Merle Sat nite and he was in fine form. He sounded better than I've heard him in years on TV. Bought the album and darned if he didn't sound better Sat nite than on his new CD. He sounded as good as he did 30 years ago and I wasn't the only one to notice it. Several people commented on how good he sounded.
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 6:27 am    

Bumping this up to say Reno Blues has been released as a single.

Woody Guthrie's music lives on.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2004 9:21 am    

I thought that subject looked familiar.

Janice, any airplay on it or just a release note?

It's not my favorite tune on the CD but I guess they wanted the duet with Willie. I never knew the song by that title (or all the words) before this album; always knew it by Philadelphia Lawyer.

------------------
HagFan

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2004 3:21 pm    

HAGGARD RULES AND KNOWS ALL!!!!!!!!!

Robbie
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2004 7:42 pm    

Well, Robbie, he may not know it all but he sure can put whatever he does know into his songs. I listen to his songs from 30 years ago and they are every bit as in touch today. For examples, check out "Jesus Take A Hold", "Big City" and "The Immigrant".

(Just did my taxes over the weekend and had the put Big City on that list.)
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2004 9:00 pm    

He sure does know how to write a song. AND, pick a steel guitar player to work with all these years. He's no Robert Randolph, but he's alright ;-)

Robbie
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2004 10:55 pm    

One of the things I've always thought made Merle stand out, even over-and-above his great writing and performance skills;
He was never reluctant, as some seem to be these days, to acknowledge his debt to those that had come before him. The trend of many current performers to insist that they "stand alone" without any influence makes me kinda sad.
How many people have come to discover Lefty Frizzell, Bob Wills, Jimmie Rogers, or Emmett Miller because of Merle's insistence on their recognition ?
-John

------------------
www.ottawajazz.com

[This message was edited by John Steele on 09 February 2004 at 10:57 PM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2004 3:19 am    

And many of the current performers aren't fit to lick Merle's boots. It's getting mighty rare to find someone who is a great writer/singer/picker all wrapped up in one.
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2004 9:04 am    

I think Alan Jackson covers 2 of the 3 bases well --singing and writing. He's my favorite of the current generation. He two is quick to tribute his mentors (Hank and Merle to name 2).

Were it not for Merle I wouldn't about Jimmie or Emmett's music. The others I might have found out about some other way...

I almost can't remember when I wasn't a Merle Haggard fan. He's been my absolute favorite since I first heard him -- when I was 12 (1968).

------------------
HagFan

[This message was edited by Ron Page on 10 February 2004 at 09:05 AM.]

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2004 10:54 am    

Me, too, Ron! (1968 when I was 12.)

I did get the new album, but haven't had time to listen yet. I expect it to be more "pure" Haggard. The man knows how to write a song and sing it.

I miss Roy Nichols...

------------------
My best,
Ernie

www.buddyemmons.com
Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2004 12:04 pm    

Hey Ron, I agree wholeheartedly sir. Enjoy him while he's still with us. Artists of Hag's caliber only pass through here once in a lifetime.

Robbie Bossert
ESnow

Berryville AR USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2004 12:16 am    

You are right Ron, Alan J. is second only to Merle. Merle has always been my favorite bar none,even long before I met him and I have had the honor and priviledge of being good friends with him for 14 years. Last time I saw him was last Oct. and we sat on the bus and visited from 9:30 till 5:00 that afternoon with very few interuptions. He is a great man on and off stage. Its not often that a guy gets to become friends and spend quality time with his all time favorite Hero and I feel very blessed in that respect. ESnow