| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wanda Jackson
Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 1:11 pm    

I saw Wanda last night at a sold out gig at San Francisco's coolest night club, Bimbo's. Every time I've seen her perform she has really delivered the goods. This time no exception. Her back-up band is really under stated which is perfect for her style. That sound really gave me a jones to put some steel in there. I personally love the sound of a swingin' steel guitar on the rockabilly stuff. She also does excellent country and gospel which makes her a killer steel gig if she were to add it. Also on the bill were The Comets, of Rock Around the Clock fame. These guys blew me away too. All five of these guys have been in this band for fifty years and it shows!!!!! Totally relaxed and swingin' hard. Once again however, I couldn't help but think how cool would it be if somebody were up there standing behind a D8 Stringmaster. In fact non pedal steel was a part of their line up years ago. Any of you folks ever play any steel with Wanda Jackson? BW
PS Buck Owens is coming to Bimbo's next month and George Jones will be in S.F. as well so things aint so bad around here lately.
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 2:02 pm    

Billy,

Sounds like a great gig! I always loved Wanda because of her versatility in Country, Gospel and Rockabilly. I have an old tape from German TV from the 80's where she did a guest spot with a great backup band incl. Doug Jernigan on Steel!

Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 1:29 am    

Yo Billy, I played lead guitar and steel for Wanda on her gig in Finland couple of years back, what a thrill. She and Wendell had been travelling about 30 hours from a gig in Sweden and hadn't slept a wink, still she gave a dynamite show.
The Comets then, we had the priviledge to open for them on their first ever show in Finland. It was also their first show of that tour, so they wanted to get together and rehearse the tunes. So they used our little rehearsal studio. We just sat there on the couch that Friday night dumbfounded, enjoying beers and watching these old guys blasting away all the classic Bill Haley and Jodimars tunes
Billy Wilson

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 2:26 am    

Jussi!!! When you comin through the Bay Area again? I remember opening a show for you guys in San Jose and you were playin a pretty Sho-Bud. If you come out here don't be thinkin about showin up without the Bigsby!!! Billy
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 6:42 am    

Billy, we'd love to come to your neck of the woods again, who knows... And yeah, I would probably bring the Bigsby since I don't have that Sho Bud anymore ( darn, can't have ev'rything!! )
Billy Wilson

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2004 7:07 pm    

Walter, any chance you could post any or all of that TV show with Wanda and Jernigan? That is a very cool sounding combo to my mind's ear. BW
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2004 10:03 pm    

I've been a fan of Wanda's since the 50's. I have an album by her,on Decca,before she was on Capitol,& it's great!!

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2004 10:33 pm    

I play with Rosie Flores alot. Sometimes upright bass, and sometimes steel. We backed up Wanda alot, with me on bass. I asked Rosie about me moving to steel, and Rosie said that Wanda liked piano better as a second lead instrument to guitar.

Wanda doesn't dislike steel, she just prefers that honkytonk piano feel.

Chris
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 9:34 am    

Billy,

Sorry, that doesn't work. It is a copy of a self recorded video video, over 20 years old, also the format is European PAL, but let me ask a few friends, maybe there is a chance to cut out at least a part and convert it to PC.

The show was great, it had, besides Wanda, Dave Dudley, Hank Thompson, Bobby Bare and the Cates Sisters. The band consisted of Nashville studio musicians and Doug Jernigan on Steel.

Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 8:12 pm    

My old boss was the band leader for the catalinas a band that rotated between roy clark and wanda back in the early days. I was fortunate enough to do a show with wanda back in the early 90's. she 's a great lady and a tremendous entertainer. Got a video of that show but have moved acouple of times and think i may have lost it oh wel anyway my hats off to the queen of rockabilly

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 11:50 pm    

My brother Jim had a jam session at our house and Wanda came. She was at the Nuggett in Las Vegas. She brought along a couple of guitar players, guy named Roy Buchanan and some other guy...James Burton. Anyhoo, she taught me how to twirl my baton.
She was a nice gal. I saw her a couple of years ago live and she was as good as ever.(Martina McBride was the headliner. It was interesting to me that so many people left when Wanda was through)

------------------
Delbert Barker Sr

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2004 5:24 am    

I played guitar for Wanda on some of her shows in 1958 when she came to the New York area. I was playing for the Warren Brothers in new jersey at the time
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2004 4:45 pm    

I worked with Wanda Jackson's band, The Party-Timers, in 1970/"71, under the leadership of Mike Lane, Tylor, Texas, however; at that time; there were three (3) bands of the same-name, because; all the bands worked their own gigs and whichever band happened to be closest to her show was used to back her show. Unfortunately, during my tenure with the band, that only happened one (1) time, in Shreveport, LA. Wanda has always been a favorite of mine also, and I always cringe when another well-known singer takes credit for the first (hit) version of Silver Threads And Golden Needles!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2004 8:37 pm    

If anyone needs it, I can make NTSC copies from PAL tapes here at home - I'd be happy to help.

RR
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 4:28 am    

I remember when I was just a young kid back in the late 1800's one of my favorite songs was Wanda Jackson.."Lets Have a Party"...

she was a rockin' dudette for sure...

t
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 9:31 am    

Tonu Dude, she still is!!!
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2004 10:44 am    

Tony Prior...I remember when I was just a kid back in the 1800's....

Gosh Tony...you are even older than I am!

www.genejones.com