| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  West Side Story
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 7:12 pm    

OK, gang, Mike Perlowin's "West Side Story" is out, and he sent me a free copy. (Thanks, Mike.)
I can't IMAGINE anybody staying in the studio long enough to do what Mike's done. He's laid down tracks of pedal and lap steels, electric 6&12 string guitars, acoustic guitars, electric basses, banjos, mandolins, and autoharp. Bros, THAT'S overdubbing! Mike, congratulations on having the patience to do it!
There are other musicians on this project as well, playing percussion instruments, piano, and arco bass. And special mention must be made of drummer Dave Beyer, who laid down some amazing drum tracks, AFTER everything else was in place!
This is not a typical steel record--I doubt if Leonard Bernstein and Harlan Howard ever co-wrote! I don't know if it even qualifies as a steel record, since there are so many other instruments playing lead parts. The steel is up front a good bit of the time, and I wouldn't mind seeing something like "Somewhere," or "America," becoming steel show material.
Congratulations on your work, Mike.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 11:45 pm    

Yes Mike...it truly is an awe inspiring work!
Great listening too.
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2004 3:00 am    

I agree!!!! Mike is brilliant on this project! Rent the video - then listen to it again!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!
donna
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2004 2:42 pm    

Mike is a genious. Jody.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2004 4:39 pm    

It's available from the Forum catalog. Click here.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com

System Administrator
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2004 1:41 am    

Aw Shucks, people. You are making me blush
Thanks for all the kind words. It's nice to know my work is appreciated. BTW Steve is right both about drummer Dave Beyer, and about the songs like America becoming steel guitar standards. One of the things that attracted me to this music in the first place was the fact that many of the songs work so well on the steel it's almost as if they were written specififically for the instrument.

It would not surprise me at all if many of these songs found their way into the repetoires of other players.

[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 15 January 2004 at 07:55 AM.]

Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2004 11:13 am    

"Somewhere" is one of my alltime favorite melodies and there is a dobro/nylon-string guitar duet version on my latest CD "Freehand". I look forward to hearing your steel version.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2004 11:22 am    

Quote:
Somewhere" is one of my alltime favorite melodies and there is a dobro/nylon-string guitar duet version on my latest CD "Freehand".

There's also a piano and orchestra version by Beethoven.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2004 6:32 pm    

I have West Side and Firebird as well and I paid Mike for them nearly a year ago. In my case I was curious to see how thinking 'out of the box' about steel playing would be. Mike has done a terrific job and while I may not understand all the ins and outs of classical music or even West Side Story, these CD's are great.

My favorite has to be Maria, but I have been partial to that song for some time in any venue.

Now that Mike has the rights free and clear, it's a small price to hear some great music. It's worth it.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 1:58 pm    

I have West Side and Firebird as well and I paid Mike for them nearly a year ago.
Ken, I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, here. The fact that Mike OFFERED to GIVE me a copy of "West Side Story," has nothing to do with my evaluation of his work. Fact is, he spent a lot of time on it, and deserves credit for his perseverance, if nothing else. I'm glad you paid Mike for your CD's. If he makes his living playing music, he OUGHTA get paid.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2004 5:32 pm    

Stephen. I was not implying anything. Mike was playing a party with us and brought the CD's along for me. I don't think he was expecting any money but I paid him for just the point you make. Friend or not, he deserves compensation for his efforts.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2004 2:58 am    

Quote:
he deserves compensation for his efforts.

People this is the weekend of the NAMM show, and I DESPERATELY need about $50,000 to buy all the cool instruments I saw that I want. Furthermore, I need it all in about 8 hours.

Please send your contributions immediately.

(Note, $50,000 won't even cover half the stuff I want to buy, but at least it's a start.)
David Nichols

Black Diamond, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2004 1:58 pm    

(Note, $50,000 won't even cover half the stuff I want to buy, but at least it's a start.)

... which is why you won't catch me within 1000 miles of the NAMM show. I don't need any further encouragement to spend vast sums.
Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 6:01 pm    

On my trip to Phoenix this weekend I had some lenghty spells of "interstate listening time". I had the opportunity to listen, for the umpteenth time, this great production of West Side Story. I would never have thought when I first heard the orchestral arrangements of this music that a steel guitar could render such a complicated and emotional wrenching collection of songs. But then again, the steel is an emotional and inspiring instrument. And in the hands of the ever-so competent Mike Perlowin, these musical pieces really come to life for the listener.

My special favorites include Somewhere, Cha Cha, One Hand One Heart (great handling of the counterpoint melodies), and of course Tonight.

Do yourself a favor and order this CD.

Great production and playing Mike..
So what's next show-off?.............

TommyD..
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 3:21 am    

Thanks Tommy. Coming from you, those words mean a lot to me.

I've said before but it's worth repeating. One of the things that attracted me to this music in the first place was that many of the songs work so well on the steel, it's almost as if they were written for the instrument. It would not surprise me at all if other steel guitarists started playing some of them.

If anybody is interested, there are 2 MP3s from each of my CDs on my web site www.mikeperlowin.com that can be downloaded so you can get a free preview.

I am currently working on another CD. This one will be a program of music from Spain, with a strong flamenco influence. It's about 70% done. I hope to have it finished in about a year.

[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 21 January 2004 at 09:59 AM.]

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 4:46 pm    

Quote:

Really? Must be one of those old cylinder thingies.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 6:51 pm    

Quote:

It's true. The melody line from the song is from Beethoven's last piano concerto. I think it was #5. Bernstein expanded on it and created something new with it, but Beethoven wrote the basic melody line.