| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Switching Guitars
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2003 12:42 pm    

Quote:
There's nothing much worse than listening to a performer tune their instrument over and over, between every song, not to change tunings, but because it's not quite in tune.

Maybe the was a problem in the past, but with the use of electronic tuners, this can be accomplished quickly and SILENTLY.

Aside from the show biz aspect of switching guitars, the main reason is because of the different sounds they different guitars produce. Sometimes a song calls for a particular sound.

But with the advent of the Line 6 Variax, and the probability that other companies will soon start making similar guitars, I think we'll start seeing more modeling guitars and fewer instruments on stage.
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2003 7:31 am    

and I thought I was radical by switching from my Zum to my ZB between sets...
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2003 9:46 am    

I saw Hank Marvin recently - for those who don't know he was lead guitarist with The Shadows here in Britain in the sixties (maybe our equivalent of your Ventures). He had two red Strats which he swapped after almost every number. They looked and sounded identical, but I later read that one was strung with 10's for tunes from his early career, the other with 9's for his later ones! Perfectionism?
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2003 3:09 pm    

In his ear, probably, yes!

------------------
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2003 3:18 pm    

Jimmy Olander is their lead man, and held in high regard among the Tele crowd.

I suspect the acoustic guitar changes were for tuning and the fine adjustments required when you capo to a different fret.

Of course us mortals make these changes ourselves, but a top band in a major venue can afford to do it with different instruments.

I think it is for a smooth show, no one wants to listen to tuning. (except maybe us)

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 15 December 2003 at 03:19 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2003 4:11 pm    

What Joey said ..Jimmy Olander is Diamond Rio's premier guitar player ..just one exception..he is in EXTREME HIGH regard amoung the Tele crowd ..Jimmy plays custom Tele's , I believe Glasers, with both the G and B Benders ..He is at the top of the heap with this axe..

T
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2003 4:28 pm    

This is for Mike P and Jim Cohen.

Back in 83 Leo asked me to take a Sabre 11 (2) over to the Nassau Colisuem on Long Island.

Willie Spears who was and still is Claptons roadie asked me to deliver a Sabre 11 guitar for Clapton to play.Sabre (2)

Leo sent me a factory individual checked out guitar and I tried it when I received it and it was fine.

I called Spears and told him I would hand deliver the Sabre to him at at the Colisuem.

Clapton was a big fan of Leo Fender's and I was happy to deliver the guitar although I was swamped by people waitin on line to get into see the concert.

Being in my fifties..a few guys said...hey look at the old cat with a guitar..I was not able to get in back stage as the security was tight..the one guy says to the other..Hey
is this guy in the group?? I answerd and said no,,I was to deliver a guitar to Eric.

The one guy said,,you dont look like a "happening" guy, I said NO Im not..I already happened a long time ago

I was finally able to get backstage and spoke to Clapton and he was so pleased to have the Sabre and he asked me to stay to see the show and join them after the show for dinner.

Clapton was using three Music Man 4x12 stacks
but he also had Marshalls on stage. I sat as the concert started and watched as the cigarette lighters and flash lights were lit as as an appreciation for Erics performance.

Clapton used his strat and had an Ovation guitar and a Guild on stage..I asked Spears why he did that and he answered.

Eric is a fine guy and admires those who make
a fine instrument and he would give each guitar and or amp a chance to be heard.

He was a gentleman personna and he (Eric) thanked me for having Leo send the Sabre over for the show.Clapton kept the Sabre and when Leo left Musicman he stopped using it and returned it to me.

You see this was a fine guy who didnt expect anything for nothing,he wanted to give each of us recognition and told me that he will always admire Leo for what he has donr for the music business.

Clapton gave me a nice photo of himself playing a Flying V and his Music Man stack which I have kept to this day and he autographed it for me..

Mike always asks why Leo left Musicman and I can say for the most part it was a matter of pride.
I thought Jim and Mike would appreciate this story..Joey Ace..I can scan the photo to you if you wish to post the photo.

BTW....where have you been Joey???

Thanks guys.,thought you may like to have read this story.

After Leo passed Clapton went back to Fender and recently had a phone call from Spears asking me if there were any Sabre's around as Eric wanted to buy one. He was sorry he gave his Sabre back,but he still has his MM stacks.

Thanks..I hope I didnt bore you much .
If I did there's no turning back now..edited to switch my jeans

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 15 December 2003 at 04:37 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2003 9:26 pm    

Hey if what I posted is boring,,dont feel bad
I dont want to make an $ss of myself..just tell me..Dont keep it a secret

I even bore myself and misery loves company.

If you think its unimportant I will delete it
and have Howard do his thing with his thing "thong" You wont hurt my feelings
none..
David Nichols

Black Diamond, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2003 10:50 pm    

Keep on boring us, Jody... please!
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2003 1:53 am    

Quote:
Eric wanted to buy one.(Music Man Sabre)

I have 2 of these, one of which has been converted to a 12 string, and I think they may well be the best guitars Leo Fender ever made. I think the current Music Man company is making a real mistake not reissuing these wonderful guitars, and I predict that some day they will be among the most sought after of Mr Fender's creations.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2003 4:46 am    

and I predict that some day they will be among the most sought after of Mr Fender's creations.

I hope I would be one of those creations Mike

Yes,you are right,Those Sabre guitars were great. Ernie however is going a different route. I am glad I didnt bore "ya'll"

Mike ever need a pickguard let me know,I can send you one "new".
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2003 11:10 am    

Hi Jody. As it turns out, I DO need a pickguard. The one I have is a pasty white that looks awful against the natural finish of the guitar. It is so ugly, I covered it with black contact paper.

I tried to send you san E-mail but it bounced. Please send me on so I can give you my address.

It's funny. The one that I converted to a 12 string is chocolate brown, but came with a maple neck. The 12 string neck it now has is resewood, and is a perfect color match. The one that is still a 6 stringer has a beautiful natural finish that over the years has become a golden blond. It came with a rosewood neck. I put the maple neck on it so it too is a perfect color match.

Like I said earlier, I think these are possibly the best guitars Leo Fender ever made. I consider myself very lucky to have them.

I honestly believe that the 12 string conversion is the single finest sounding electric 12 string guitar in the world. It blows away everything else. Every time I play it in public, some guitar player asks me what it is and where can he get one.

Somebody,(perhaps G&L?) should reissue these guitars, or at least make something with the same electronics.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2003 11:40 am    

Jody,
I'm quite busy but always have time for you. I enjoyed the EC story. That's a new one for me.

I clearly remember you EC "free refinish" story. Thanks. Keep 'em coming.

j0ey
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2003 3:32 pm    

Thanks Joey.

I can add the "meatball" marathon with the late Ron Lashley god rest his soul,,I do think that story is in the archives...I'll have to look in the Forum cave.

No more radiation for me Joey,I dont glow in the dark anymore.

Regards home..I'll be in touch